Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Resolution Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 10:10
Two Questions:

1) I'm running my game using DarkGDK in Windowed mode using the iPad, landscape resolution in preparation for AGK's release. For some reason, my developers and I all seem to need different settings for the x and y for all of our text. Any ideas on why we're all different from each other?

2) Is this going to matter once I copy and paste this code into the AppGameKit when it comes out?

cross-posted to DarkGDK Board
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 14:34
Quote: "I'm running my game using DarkGDK in Windowed mode using the iPad"

Correct me if I am incorrect but DarkGDK isn't compatible with the iPad, is it?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 20:47
AGK has 2 resolution modes.

Percentage - You place things on screen giving the percentage of distance from the upper left to the lower right corners. (0-100) Using this method you have to be more aware of scale and the actual resolution the device is running at.

Virtual Resolution - You pick a reasonable resolution that's close to what your target devices will be running, and place all your objects on screen based on that virtual resolution. The overall screen will be zoomed to fill the actual resolution. If the aspect is off, such as the PC running at 1280 x 800, then there will be black bars down the sides to fill out the screen.

ManOfActionTM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 21:27
@Hodgey

You are correct, but what I've read is that you can start working on Dark GDK and most of it will transfer over to AGK. Obviously certain parts will be different, but most of it will still work. So that's what I've been doing for the past couple of months.

@KISTech

Thank you! That helps a lot! I will not worry about it then!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 01:48
Quote: "You are correct, but what I've read is that you can start working on Dark GDK and most of it will transfer over to AGK. "

I see what you are doing now, I'm curious as to what the commands will look like for AppGameKit tier 2. I don't think they'll start with db like in DGDK but I'd like to know.

ManOfActionTM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 01:57
@Hodgey

Me too! Hopefully at the end of this month?? Though it's starting to look more like next month as they keep backing away from anything July related.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 02:10
Since I've been given the go ahead to share source code for a game I wrote in AppGameKit, I don't think it will be to much to give you this.

Detecting a sprite hit by using a set of coordinates, whether you get those coordinates from the mouse position, a Touch event position, or the position of another sprite.

s is the sprite number hit. Returns 0 if no hit occurred.

In Tier 1:

s = GetSpriteHit(x, y)

In Tier 2:

s = agk::GetSpriteHit(x, y);

Not knowing a lot about C++ and namespaces, my guess is you can get that down to,

s = GetSpriteHit(x, y);

so there would be little to no difference between the tiers as far as syntax for the AppGameKit commands.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 02:28
@ KISTech: Thanks for the info and we should be able to get

s = agk::GetSpriteHit(x, y);

down to

s = GetSpriteHit(x, y);

hopefully by a #include <AGK.h> or something like that. My C++ is quite limited as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:17:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:17:35