Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Shadows on Dynamic Entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 23:08
Hi all,

I think I have encountered a bug (or feature as we like to call 'em). But maybe this is intentional for reasons I don't immediately understand.

It appears to me that the only way to make a dynamic entity cast a shadow is to make it mobile. If you included immobile=1 in the fpe file, the shadow will not manifest.

However, if you set it to immobile=0 in the fpe, then change immobile to "yes" in the fpsc editor, *badabing* shadows on an immobile dynamic object.

So, I'm guessing this is a bug because of the inconsistency. Any insights?

I only care because I am making a model pack and I want certain entities to have shadows but I don't want them mobile. Since no one reads "readme" files, I think it would be crappy to have to tell everyone to change them to immobile in the editor.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 23:31
Quote: "no one reads "readme" files"

Try naming it 'dont readme', always makes me read it when I see it

However I know about the 'feature' you speak of; although I too don't know the answer. Sorry.

[center]

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 07:15
yes the only way to have shadows for the Dynamic Entities is immobile=0 and to have the full screen shadow effect on.

key word =Dynamic
which is something mobile.so no its not a bug, it is the way the effect was made to be use.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 15:11
Could turn Physics off underneath the Immobile part, that'll leave it mobile yet not move right?

-SSG

Sorry all for my furious departure a while ago (well, almost 8 months xD) after deep thought I have decided to return.

I apologise to those I offended.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 22:35
@michaelx I've had no luck getting shader effects to work on static entities. As a result, I end up making entities "dynamic" that are not intended to be mobile (like a large rock for instance).

Are you able to get shader effects to work on static entities? If so, I would love to know what I am doing wrong.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2011 19:29
@srealist

yes its real easy.go to the setup file and change lightmapquality=5 to
lightmapquality=40.this not only smooth static entities but will shape the shadow out. to and everyone else do not make it no high than 40.it all you need.50 on up does not do anything but make the loading process longer.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2011 20:40
@michael x, just for clarity and because I can be dense sometimes, you are able to use spec and normal maps with static entities by changing the lightmapquality setting?

Thank you for the help.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 01:28
you can use spec and normal maps with static entities.here is a pic.

Welcome to SciFi Summer

Attachments

Login to view attachments
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 05:25
One more question for you. How do you set up the fpe files for static entities that use shaders? Do you need to reference it as _D.tga or can you use _D.dds? With dynamic entities, I've noticed that I can use either and it works.

Again, greatly appreciate your insight and am a big fan of your work.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 06:58
_D2.dds.I wish lee was still working on x10.there is one bug that cant out run.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 07:48
Yeah, I'd really like a formal explanation from the creators about what each image does, what the alpha channel does and what about _R.dds or any other shader capabilities that we may not know.

I think I understand most of it - through extensive trial and error. Spec map alpha channel determines what it looks like when light is reduced. A completely blank alpha channel means the entity will be completely dark when the lights are off. Leave something in the alpha channel and it will still show up when the lights are off.

With the illumination shader, you can simply ignore the RGB channel and it will just use the alpha to determine what is self illuminated.

Anyway...I can't begin to tell you how many hours I have put into this. Compounded by the fact that you must recreate any entity that you screw up on once. As soon as you load an FPE file, FPSC forever believes it should look the way it originally loaded no matter how many times you change the mesh, texture or fpe. So I end up with test folders that go 15 layers deep just for the purpose of getting a fresh dbo file.

I'd like to make a shader tutorial for x10 but all i have to offer right now is my experience through trial and error. I wish I could offer an accurate explanation of the underlying properties.

You seem to be the most knowledgeable member who actively posts about shaders in x10. If you help me to understand it, I will do the leg work of documenting it.

I don't wish upon anyone the time I've spent guessing and experimenting.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 08:55
the Dx5 map which is the a texture map with alpha.the alpha map is for illumination.like lights. A all black alpha is for entities that is not a light.unless the entity has small parts of lights on it.all black alpha also control the Ambience of the entity.you must mask the alpha black.here is a fpsc x10 texture tutorials this may help you as well.

Welcome to SciFi Summer

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:36:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:36:41