Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 2D action in 3D genre...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I someone was to begin a project that consists of 2D action using 3D, what would your requests be to make it a unique, or playable game? What would you personally look for in this controversial (but not dead) genre?

A fine example of this genre still being alive is R-Type Final. This game is comming to the PS2 very soon - I hope. Dare I also mention Contra: Shattered Soldier.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 02:05
2d action? Do you mean sidescrollers?

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't matter. They could scroll vertical, or horizontal. Just talk about would make you play a 2D game made with 3D graphics, and come back for more...

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd play nearly any 2D game made with 3D graphics. Have you played Asteroids by Phynematic Dryll? It's one of the best DB games ever.

Pincho.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah... I like R-Type!

Pincho.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 02:22
(1) Cool weapons
(2) Cool enemies
(3) Loads of variety (like a new enemy type every 30 seconds of play, or so).
(4) Good special effects
(5) Some sorta clever power up system, so you can select what you want on the fly.
(6) A morphing ship
(7) Two player co-operative on the same PC, or network. No matter.
(8) A female main character with massive tits.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
@ pincho

Where's that asteroids download? Sounds cool...

@ Fallout

Something tells me you would like shooters done with anime.
I found #6 on your list interesting. Could imply a unique attribute that the player flys organic, or living ships!
Interesting prospect - kinda like a Stellar Knight and his Living, morphing ship that will someday reach it's full potential.

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 02:50 Edited at: 20th Oct 2003 02:54
Quote: "A female main character with massive tits."

(tut!) Oh typical

I can see you're the type who drools over Lara Croft with at least ONE hand on the keyboard

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It's on Pnematic Dryll's site. Or was I suppose it still is.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:04
How about DN: MP?

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:05
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:10
Yep, asteroids is still there and I'm still number one on high score table under my old sonic name. Beat that if you dare!

Pincho is right in saying its one of best db games around.

Check out duke nukem manhattan project, side scrolly platfromer.

Lemmings 3d, sort of lemmings meets nebulus.

3d pacman

Pneuamtic dryll even done a 3d frogger

If your mansion house needs haunting, just call Rentaghost!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:51
Wasn't so much thinking of an organic ship. I like the whole servo sound thing. Like, imagine your ship and you get an engine powerup, and the rear engine expands, or wings come out the side with missiles on, or the nose stretches forward in turbo mode etc.

As for the massive tits comment, that was just a general insight into physical attributes I appreciate in the fairer of the species.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:53
ahh, just want to add, side scrollers are good ideas for dbpro. Much more achievable than most other games, so go for it.

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Raven

Whoa! Cool!

@Pincho
What's the url?

@ Fallout

That's cool too! So you're saying that the ship should be expandable (not necessarily morphing). However, too big of a ship would annoy the player (monitors are only so big).

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 04:36
hehe. Yeah, just keep it simple, like whatever weapon they get is actually attached to the ship. When you fire a missile it could be detached and launched from the ship. Shield upgrades makes spheres round the ship, armour upgrades change the skin to represent new armour, power upgrades have little spoilers and wings come out of the ship etc. Increase the size of the jetstream at the back for engine upgrades.

Little touches like that makes game phat. Development.

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
The expanding ship sounds original. However, your descriptions of ship upgrades seem to fit a verticle shooter best. Sounds like the player would start out with a boring looking pencil of a ship.

With powerups, wings would be attached and it would look like a pencil with wings.

Then it would acquire laser cannons and look like a pencil with wings, and laser cannons.

Then it would acquire a speed-up which would cause it to look like a pencil with wings, laser cannons, with smoke farting out the eraser for 10 seconds - do I get the picture?

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 16:34
Raven, that Xenon 2000 is pretty good. Like the parallax scrolling.

It does however have that annoying problem of losing ALL your weapons when you lose a life. Usually when you are just approaching loads of baddies.

Definately worth the 14mb download though.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 20:27
Yeah, like I said above, this sorta game is all about little touches that make it cool. Maybe take a pen and paper around with you, and jott down ideas when you think of em. Lots of little things might inspire you. Chuck em all into the mix and you'll get a decent game.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know what the URL is, it means that you have to look for his reply to a topic or something.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 21:53
@Pincho / Northen_Fist : The url is http://www.bansheestudios.com/

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 22:02
the cool thing is its totally free version of the 1987 original even the graphics are very very true to the original, which i particularly loved.

me and my bro spend hours trying to beat each others highscores - my current top is 130k ... but then when you get to the bit with the snales it gets like uber hard lol

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 23:00
Shame its only one level though and the boss is rather easy to beat with the laser.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:18:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:18:14