Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / [STICKY] Trouble getting DarkGDK.net to work in C# Express 2010

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2011 16:36 Edited at: 27th Jul 2011 07:25
I've searched thru the forums but cannot find a solution. I've copied the templates over, I've attempted to remove and reload the references, but they do not show up in the .net tab. So, I set the "specific version" property for each reference to "false" and this seems to work. I've set platform target to "x86". When I attempt to run the program, a window runs, with the title of Form1, but it is just white, no 3d. And I cannot close it except for task manager. When I do that, I get this error:

any ideas what I am doing wrong?
thanks

edit:
This is getting major frustrating. The .exe's run from the tutorials. I downloaded VS2008 c# express, and I get the EXACT SAME ERRORS. not a happy person right now.

edit again:
well, I'm beginning to think this was 30 bucks flushed down the toilet. But I'm a patient person(kinda) and, I'm hoping all these issues get worked out. For comparison, XNA installed and ran, no problems. The Kinect SDK, no problems. Even slimDX, no problems. And they are all free. Just saying, if your going to continue selling this, and I know times are tuff right now for the developer, but still, I think the targets should be Win7 from now on.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 08:21 Edited at: 27th Jul 2011 09:33
PROBLEM SOLVED! Its a .net platform issue. Here's what you need to do to make it work right in VSC#2010.

Note: SinceI have a clean install of Win7, and NEVER had vs2008 installed,(until after 2010) .net 3.5 was never installed, only .net 4.0. My son, who is a C# programmer for the USAF sent me this link about multi-targeting, the new big feature of 2010.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2009/08/27/multi-targeting-support-vs-2010-and-net-4-series.aspx

anyway, what I did was uninstalled the GDK. Then I reinstalled it. I moved the templates over from 2008 to 2010. Then, I created a new project from the template. Then, I changed the build settings to x86 (and the copy from field I set to empty). I saved the project. Then, I changed the .net platform to 3.5. I SAVED the project. Then, I removed the references, and re-added them. I SAVED the project. I reran it, and, it runs. I will change the template to be correct in the future.
Now, according to that link my son sent me, I should be able to push this all up to .net 4.0. Gonna test that now.

edit again:
well, no luck so far getting 4.0 to run, and, I REALLY need this, as the Kinect SDK requires 4.0. I just don;t get why this SDK can't be recompiled using 4.0. That should solve all problems.

edit:
not sure ifI am reading this correctly, but, sounds to me like you can always start with a higher version, and target down, contrary to the other link I posted. Now, I'm majorly confused.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668079.aspx
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2011 06:58 Edited at: 28th Jul 2011 06:59
ok, I fixed it, thanks to a code snippet buried in a post way back http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170063&b=37&msg=2019814#m2019814
step by step:

1.Install the DarkDGK.net sdk.
2.Move the templates from the VS2008 directories to the 2010 directories.
3.Launch VSC#2010, and create a new DarkGDK project.
4. Change the .net platform to 3.5
5. Change the cpu target to x86.
6. Remove the errored references, then reload them. They should show up on the .net tab.
7. Run the project, it should run.
8. Open the app.config file. This was created AFTER you changed the .net platform.
9. Change it to this:
(Thanks Dark Inferno Studios!)

10. Change platform back to .net 4.0
11. Everything should run now, and access to .net 4.0 libraries.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 11:43
just thought I'd post an update. Since I got the GDK to use on my Kinect project, I thought I'd post a link to a video of DarkGDK.net running alongside the KinectSDK. There are 2 viewports, one for DarkGDK, the other for the Kinect video stream. The Kinect video is event fired, while the DarkGDK is running its own loop. (just the code from the getting started tutorial). this proves the two can run side by side, which is good news. Now I will start working on deforming meshes in real time! So, once I worked out all the little issues, looks like DGDK.net should do fine. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_JyGPbHHys
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 17:47
Visigoth,

Thanks for that setup procedure to get the current version running on VS2010. Your work with the KinectSDK looks awesome and it's good to see it working along side DarkGDK.NET. Nice work my friend, nice work!

Paul.

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 03:24
I hope this being stickied helps others out. I'm chugging along pretty well right now. I can't believe more people aren't using this sdk. .Net is awesome. I'll keep posting updates to the Kinect project as it evolves. Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 01:10:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 01:10:22