Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Zombie Level Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2011 09:35 Edited at: 4th Aug 2011 08:15
Change Log:

8/2/11:

Added marquee select mode, also added functionality to the floating toolbar.

Added object deletion, now you can select multiple objects and then delete them with a drag of the mouse.

Version 0.1 released today, should work for everyone now!

So heres the level editor i've been working on for my zombie game. The whole goal basically is to have everything built into the level editor, so I dont have to program any content whatsoever in the engine, just mechanics, I want everything else to be completely visual.

Zoom in and out is to roll middle mouse button, to select different objects press the + button(right now there are only two objects to choose from anyways), to pan around the map click the middle mouse button and drag.

You can add any model into the editor by copying it into the models folder, it will automatically take a snapshot for you and load it into the game.
I'm using the win api for the gui, it's complicated but its turning out awesome, I really like it. Here's the feature list and whats done, you know the drill, = working on, =done.

Use a marquee to drag and select objects

Load models from models dir

Take snapshops of each loaded model and save it as a jpg

Model Dialog to view imported models, the snapshot shows up here, along with other info about the model

Save level(still adding more to as the program becomes more robust

Load Level

Created Tools menu

Object properties dialog for setting the object as a room, item, cast shadows etc.

You can pan around the map by just clicking and dragging the middle mouse button, scroll the middle mouse button to zoom in.

Click to place a model, + to cycle through models(this will check to selecting models through a different gui, but for now this was the shortcut)

AI Editor

Dialog Editor

Script Editor

Item Editor

Path creation, and linking AI's to paths

3d sound sources

Shaders

Level heiarchy

Dynamic and regular lights

Incorporate Dark Lights in order to make the whole level lightmapped

More will be added, please let me know what you think so far. The demo is available for download.

Screeny:
Most recent:

Past:
[b][/b]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Did anyone try it? Crits, comments, suggestions?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 23:05
It crashes for me, I have attached a pic.
I am running it on vista.

Attachments

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you give me the problem details in the drop down? Thats strange, it works perfectly for me, can you try running it in windows xp compatibility? It uses the win32 api so I'm not sure if the commands I'm using are compatible with windows vista, I'm running xp.

Anyone else unable to use it?
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay it crashes on my parents comp too, try this instead, maybe its the display mode?

Attachments

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay the display mode fixed it, can you give it a go on the newest one?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 00:15
OK that works.

I seem to be having trouble doing anything though, the room segment is always attached to the pointer and I can put it anywhere as many times as I like. I can also drop boxes with the right mouse button but thats all I can do.

How do I zoom in and out, rotate or scale stuff, place different objects etc?

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Zoom in and out is to roll middle mouse button, to select different objects press the + button(right now there are only two objects to choose from anyways), to pan around the map click the middle mouse button and drag.

Rotating and scaling objects is on the agenda today, it used to be possible using the keyboard but I didnt like it, so I'm replacing it with a mouse driven interface.

You can also open up the Entities menu and click imported, and it will show you each model that has been loaded and the snapshot it took when loading the model.

It's still got a lot of work to be done, but it's getting there, scaling, moving, and rotating should be done today, as well as saving object properties along with the level.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 16:21
Ah ok, I am on a laptop so I din't have a scroll wheel

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah lol sorry about that. Ill add in panning and zooming without using the scroll wheel today

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:35:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:35:51