Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Functions in Types

Author
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to have functions in Types?
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this not an important feature? Have some type of functions that can be called in a Type? I use these in another programming language and they're very handy for keeping my code straight.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 19:14
You could in tier 2 C++.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 20:24
The AppGameKit is a new programming language and compiler for several different platforms. A daunting task to say the least.

They have left out more advanced features for now so they can get the product into our hands sooner, so we can start making games, and they can make some money to stay in business while they continue development. I can't say for certain what advanced features will come, but this version of the AppGameKit is an early step.

Like Mobiius said, you can do anything you want in C++ and still use the AppGameKit commands along with it.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 20:31
If their goal is to have a language similiar to DBP, I'd imagine that functions in types would be getting it too close to being an object oriented programming language. And if they started down that road, they'd need inheritance, polymorphism etc. in order to satisfy OO programmers all while making the language less appealing to those with little to no programming experience.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 20:34
Yup, I think that's one of the things they are trying to avoid.

At the same time, having the ability to do those things doesn't necessarily mean you have to use them, but it adds to the learning curve if it's there and someone new is trying to figure things out.

XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
That's fine. I just wanted to check on that. Lee actually responded to me himself which is great. I don't get that from other tools that I use. I'm shooting to go C++ with this one.
I had originally wanted to translate a game I'm currently working on to this when it comes out but since there are no Types on the Basic side I would have to start work over on the C++ side. I had just hoped for a quick conversion.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 22:12
Since there is virtually no difference between the BASIC commands, and the Tier 2 C++ commands in AppGameKit, it shouldn't be that hard anyway.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 00:35
Quote: "The AppGameKit is a new programming language and compiler for several different platforms. A daunting task to say the least."

It's just a modified version of the compiler for DBPro which outputs AppGameKit bytecode instead of machine code.

[b]
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 01:20
This to me is a much different animal than DBPro. There may be some similarities for sure because it was written by the same people, but I get the feeling a lot of this was written from scratch.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 13:54 Edited at: 13th Aug 2011 13:54
The AppGameKit players are completely new, but the compiler, which determines the actual language, is very close to the DBPro one, to the point that they share all the same quirks.

[b]
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 19:10
Is that the compiler's quirks, or Lee's quirks??

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:43:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:43:33