Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / [X10] Segment Lighting Issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 23:08 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 23:08
I'm having a strange issue - and have had this issue a while - where segment walls aren't lighting properly when next to each other. Attached is a screenshot of what I mean.

Also, here is my setup.ini

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

[center]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 23:28
I also have this issue, though not all the time. If I load the exact same scene 10 times, it will look off about 5 of those times. I think this is connected to the same issue that causes dynamic entities to be too bright sometimes. Something going on with the lightmapping.

Unfortunately, I have no insights to fixing it.
biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 00:06
set the static light to dynamic or otherwise that works some times

[href]http://tbhproductions.com[/href]
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 00:37
Several test games later; I have found the problem with shader lighting. It is the shader

Using segments that don't use shaders, the issue has never risen.

I hope somebody can prove me wrong.

@ biohazardNL Using dynamic lights removes shader effects, it also makes the walls very bright.

That is what I have found out thus far.

[center]

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 07:31
yes I to have this problem.it has something to do with the shader.which why next game will go without shaders. after all that work to find that the out come can not be fix.but i have also notice fpscx10 loads faster without shaders.my next game will be running on my quad core. for the first time i get to see what my window7 is like.whats funny i took shader off some of my stuff.another cool thing is to use shaders on some things instead of everything.my thing is use shaders only on metal thing and give the shy effect or the wet look of blood.I have learn shader does not look go on everything but I believe it more of a effects use instead of a graphic improve use.as you will see in my pic.a game that is over power with shaders does not make it a good game at all.many things could suffer like the performance.but fpsc to me is not the type of game engine that can handle so much of the shaders effects all at once.other engine may have this type of performance power to handle all.but fpsc has a great light map and high quality with textures.using effects on some things and allow light map to take care the rest is the smart way to go about it.which why I think we all need to come together on this and push for some high quality textures.there is more to fpscx10 then what meet the eye.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer

Attachments

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 16:06
This is very true. I feel like I have gotten over zealous with the use of shaders to the point that it has slowed my productivity and added a lot of frustration where I didn't use to have any.

I was realizing the other day that one of the best looking scenes I've created has not a single entity or segment shader in it. There's bloom, the water shader, creative use of lights, etc.

Btw, I was working in x9 a bunch the past few days and I guess I am spoiled by x10 'cause it looked really bad even with all the setting max'd out. The shaders looked pretty good - and the metro theatre pack is awesome but what is the deal with the texture pixelation on everything. Eeek...I'm surprised more folks haven't come over to x10 by now.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 18:44
Quote: "what is the deal with the texture pixelation on everything. Eeek...I'm surprised more folks haven't come over to x10 by now."

I know exactly what you mean, also, if you look to the corners when you turn, it is almost as though the camera is bevelled outwards.

[center]

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 20:02
Ya man...so...I don't try to hide my identity here (hell my vimeo account has a video of my son and me on it) because 1) I'm nobody, and 2) I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say using my real name...so lemme say, a substantial portion of my job these days is creating educational games in FPSC and one of the games I was tasked to create seemed better suited for the features in x9 but I had to rework the game play for x10 because the graphics in x9 were not acceptable.

I'm sure part of this is due to my lack of experience in x9 (i've no doubt that someone like Wolf or bond1 would be able to make something more than acceptable).

But the folks I work with have come to expect the quality we get in x10 right out of the gate and the difference is immediately noticeable even to people who have no graphics experience.

The sudden increase in energy on x10 is really exciting. The Mystic Mod folks, Michael X, Le Shorte, TheNext, biohazardNL, the fine folks at ThoughtWire Software, and several others deserve a lot of credit to bringing energy back to the engine we love.

Love requires a lot of work. Thank you all for your hard work.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 20:39 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 20:40
I almost teared up!

Quote: "The sudden increase in energy on x10 is really exciting."

I know what you mean! It feels brilliant to be a part of helping to re-kindle an engine though of as 'down-and-out for the count'. Many times me and Ed (me and Ed are currently the only ones working on Rouge, other members of the team are making a flash game and occasionally give tid-bits to us to use) looked at various engines and looked to see if there actually was a more suitable engine.

There wasn't.

For what we wanted to accomplish and for how we wanted to work, X10 was perfect. It isn't technically daunting like the Unreal Engine, nor is it miles out of budget like Source SDK. It was and is perfect for our needs. The graphics and simplicity outweigh most Indie development teams' engines.

Not to mention the community support! (In spite of it's small size )

Here's to a bright last few weeks and to the even brighter future!

[center]

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 21:25
Quote: "The sudden increase in energy on x10 is really exciting. The Mystic Mod folks, Michael X, Le Shorte, TheNext, biohazardNL, the fine folks at ThoughtWire Software, and several others deserve a lot of credit to bringing energy back to the engine we love."

Don't forget the main player Budokaiman. He has done so much with the source he is responsible for so much.

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4770 1GB, 2TB RAID-0 Hard disk
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 21:28
Ya, I just couldn't spell his name at the moment so I called him "The Mystic Mod folks" lol
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 21:37
Lmao I used to have that trouble not any more had to type it way to many times.

Windows 7 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4770 1GB, 2TB RAID-0 Hard disk
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 22:09
Quote: "Ya, I just couldn't spell his name at the moment so I called him "The Mystic Mod folks" lol"

Feel free to call me whatever you want. I think more people will call me by part of the name, like "budo", "budok", "bud", "budokai", "bman" than people who actually type out the whole thing.

Be yourself, but make sure you don't sound like a dying sheep.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 22:10
Ahhh, I left Science Boy off the list! Dammit. lol
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 01:14
Quote: "I almost teared up!"

*wipes away tears* C'mere man!
*bro hug*

Cheesehead for life.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
cheers srealist, at least you got there thats the main, plus of late i been slack due to 60 hour weeks work and college on top of that so its hard at the moment but by october i will be back in full swing, so sorry if i been a slacker!

other news about that fix for under water shader, it was analysed etc. and i was told that they fix all issues to then get hockeykid say not x9 so cancelled. nice hey, you follow protocol and get a slap!

hey ho i did try though

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 02:31
Quote: "other news about that fix for under water shader, it was analysed etc. and i was told that they fix all issues to then get hockeykid say not x9 so cancelled. nice hey, you follow protocol and get a slap!"

What?

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 23:59 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 00:02
not an official slap but a rude no not x9 on google code, yet it says which engine is the error on, and lee tgc had seen it and said the issue then hockey kid came along and deemed it a no. and deleted it. gone right down in my estimations.

i talked to customer service who said they will have a look if i write to them. they gave me a link to which i pointed the error and waited for 2 months on this.
the google code asks for error, how to get the error and on what engine then i get told what the issue is by lee who was curtious and then h.kid came and erased due to not x9. after waiting 2 months during the words " started on "

so i tried but no go im afraid. what can i do?

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 00:12
Quote: "so i tried but no go im afraid. what can i do?"

What's the error that you're getting?

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 00:38 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 00:41
oh its the underwater fog colour sets to bright blue and does not save the colour chosen when re loading. so it is the loading and saving issue of the fog settings underwater, stopped me making a level underwater with my diving game.

if can sort that out be grand.

the effect i was aiming for was fog range close so cant see too far in front so sharks etc come from nowhere, so fog is set to black against a deep blue water colour which gives a great effect, but when you have set it in test game it does not save the colour black and resets to that shockingly horrid bright blue.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 01:05
I told you lee would not fix it.x10 has no support.we are on our own.

@budokaiman this is a non mod fpscx10 bug.if I was you I would not worry about it until at you latest release of mystic mod.fpsc has its bugs like the shader lighting bug. the more features you my add on may make more bugs.so you should just worry about those and then try take care of the bugs fpsc has before this mod.

@science boy
I think fpscx10 needs a better fog anyway.

I believe where lee has left off with fpscx10 this is where we need to take place of making it better. i have look over the code my self and wishing i could make a mod that just fix fpscx10 bugs instead of adding anything to it.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
i hear you micheal x, but he asked and it seems a simple save load issue not in game action issue, its a bug that i am sure will not create anymore as its a save/load not in game calculations.

anyway up to budokaiman he asked so i just pointed it out, and i heard what you said ages ago, yet lee ok'd it for fix and so did tgc and then h.kid erased it. i went that way as they said ok it was worth a try. but yes needs better fog but the fog in x10 is like a lighting effect that is still useful.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 02:05
Well, don't worry. I'm pretty sure I've fixed it, you can test it yourself when I update tomorrow or Friday (well, I guess that technically it's Thurday right now, so today or tomorrow.)

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 06:13 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 06:18
@science boy yeah I understand I just didn't want to see to much of a load put on budokaiman at one time.

@budokaiman I thank you to for taking the time to fix this for him.

@science but also the save and load can be a little tricky because when lee fix fpacx9 load and save problem in 115 the problem came back in 118.but in this case I hope all is well for fpsx10. thanks to budokaiman this maybe our new bug fix guy.lol oh yeah I can't wait to see what you did with your new game.I gave it six stars in the gallery.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
big huge beer going out to budokaiman

and no problems michael x, i am aware budo ( if ok with you budokaiman) has a lot on and cheers for the buzz on my twin worlds, i just finished getting mini enemy huds on when the enemy attacks and then when kill it disappears looks good and a nice touch. will put a screenie here when next on.

and cheers for 6* much appreciated, since my little blast it seems gallery is getting flooded with new pics, its like someone got a starting pistol in last 2 months and bang!

anyway micheal x for you

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 16:24
Quote: " if ok with you budokaiman"

If what's okay with me?

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
calling you 'budo'

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
anyway here is a screenie, this is reconstructed as the in shots keep huds unseen, so put the huds on to show what i am up to

Attachments

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 18:32 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 18:33
Quote: "calling you 'budo'"

I don't mind at all.

And nice screenshot. You've got some awesome HUDs.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 18:34
SB, that character looks beautiful. Where can I see more of your work?
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 18:53 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 18:56
no where, i been studying the system and slowly adding bits and pieces and doing heaps of trial and error for near 4 years. slow learner, but i have reached a point where i know modeling/art/and scripting and so i feel brave enough to show some.

as to the knight it is one of bond 1s knights i just re skinned it gave eyes and nose and made it different a bit

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 18:59
Quote: "as to the knight it is one of bond 1s knights i just re skinned it gave eyes and nose and made it different a bit"

Despite the fact the base model is not yours it is some very impressive work.

The huds are looking amazing also.

You may be a slow learner but your good at it.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
and thanks to

budo
srealist
next,

your thoughts are highly respected and appreciated. thanks

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 23:09
2science boy slow and steady wins the race.lol.great work like your re-texture.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 23:52
@ science boy I enjoy seeing my segments being used

Good work on the HUD and re-tex! I'm currently working on investigation HUDs for Rouge

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:34:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:34:14