Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 or X9?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 19:50
I have been looking at X10 for a while now and am pretty much ready to purchase it except for one thing...

Does anybody here recommend X9 over X10?

I know that the updates have stopped for X10 but that doesn't really bother me as much.

I would really appreciate it if some of the more experienced people could give me the factual pros and cons to each engine.

Thank you.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 02:48
Go for x10. You get x9 for free with it.

Cheesehead for life.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 02:53
What X9 has:
More shaders
more users
Works on XP
Better AI

What X10 has:
GPU Instancing
Working water (or did lee get that sorted out in x9?)
Closer community (my favourite part)
Secret Feature???

It's up to you, in reality a lot that can be done with X9 can be done with X10. As le shorte said, if you get x10, you get x9 free too, so if you decide to switch at least you'll have the option of both engines.

Be yourself, but make sure you don't sound like a dying sheep.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 02:56
Folks here, especially in the x10 forum, are going to avoid getting into which engine is better.

The political response (but also the true response) is both engines have their advantages. Many of us also use both engines. Some projects are better suited to x10 and others to x9.

One possible example: if you want to make a 3rd person game and use a bunch of custom shaders you are designing in DarkShader, then you will be wanting x9. If you want to make an outdoor level and populate the world with a bunch of instanced entities, then you are probably better off using x10.

Now if you post this same thread in another subforum, you will probably get a bunch of people just saying "use x9." Most of those people either haven't used x10, don't have a computer that can run x10, or don't want to see support taken away from x9.

But ultimately, Le Shorte is right. Get x10 and get x9 for free, then you can enjoy the benefits of both.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 07:48 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 08:07
@Zorkonian12
okay im going to be real with you.it all about what you want.you can get fpscx9 for 29.99 and nine model packs with it for free.

or you can get fpscx10 and get all the stuff budokaiman said.but on the AI there both not that far off. you get you money worth either way.

here check out my game I made with fpscx10 then you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV3eCVq9Lcg

@budokaiman fpscx9 does have water but like everything else fpscx9 has it kills the performance.no one won't notice until they complete a large level with it.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Zorkonian12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 17:01
Thank you everyone for their opinions. I am going to go ahead and buy x10 (with a couple model packs). It does seem to be the better choice for me.

@michael x
That game looks awesome! I'm going to have to look up a tutorial on how to do custom HUDs after seeing that really cool one in yours.

Thanks!
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 17:29
Feel free to query us here at the X10 forum, the other boards don't like it when you post X10 stuff.

Welcome to the community!

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:46:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:46:44