Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 13:55 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 13:59
Hey,
This is the first proper game I have made in DarkBasic so please be nice

It is a 2D space game that has 1 and 2 player modes where you just shoot each other until the other person dies.

There is Screen Wrapping and Bouncing, And there is crash support if you are playing on a big enough screen.

It works with eyefinity, but you have to manually set the width and height (Resolution) at the top of the script.

The AI is pretty basic, it just faces you constantly and shoots every so often, so if anyone can help me make that better it would be much appriciated

Sometimes, it takes a while for the sounds to play first time, so if it seems to be frozen, it isn't

If anyone goes off-screen somehow, press return to return them.

Please post any suggestions, bugs, or nice comments below. (The do help )

I will attach the Code and a download link.

Controls:
P1:
W - Increase throttle
A - Left
S - Decrease Throttle
D - Right
Shift - Shoot

P2:
Up - Increase throttle
Left - Left
Down - Decrease Throttle
Right - Right
Space - Shoot

Thanks,
Matt

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Umm...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 14:58
Not bad!

A great first attempt

Why not improve the graphics a little / add some explosions? With a little more work this could look much more impressive.

The gameplay is simple but fun so you could make this go a lot further if you're prepared to revisit it.

Whether you do or not though this is not bad and your coding is very neat and well commented. Well done

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 16:08
Hi, Game Master1330

Same thing as what Baxlash said; the game works very well. It is simple, but all creations start from something simple. It would be nice if you continued to add more features to it over time, so we can enjoy it more.

The code looks neat compared to what I have seen. Some of the if blocks where not indented but that is trivial right now.

If you are planning to expand it, try adding timer based movement so that it runs at the same speed on all machines. Sync rates are not 100% consistent; but you can compare the duration between each loop and use that to determine how fast to move the ships.

EG:

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 16:22
thanks for the comments

to be honest, im not too worried about the different speeds on different computers, as long as they are consistent to each computer... i was thinking about make the screen scroll, and having a server - client multiplayer in the future, and in that case this would be important...

as for making the graphics better, i wanted a clean feel to it, hence the plain colours, but i will probably make explosions and better sprites at a later date.

i was thinking of making an improvements system, where you could spend your points you get from hitting another player on improvemebts such as faster speeds, new weapons etc...

Umm...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:19:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:19:48