Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Game Creator Store For AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Will the Game Creator Store begin to include sprites and art for our apps and games with AppGameKit? I am curious because I can create some things myself that I may want to offer for sale, but also because I would like to have the option to purchase ready-to-go sprites or artwork as well. Just curious
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 00:42
That's something I'd like to see, 2D sprite sets, backdrops and so on, especially for those of us who have no artistic talent at all.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
CodeGit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 15:59
Yes, this is something that I would support as well as I have absolutely no artistic talent. I'm sure there is a fair market for good quality 2d sprites and images. I published a game on the iPhone 1 year ago and the hardest part was sourcing all the art.

thanks
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:49 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 16:54
Quote: "That's something I'd like to see, 2D sprite sets, backdrops and so on, especially for those of us who have no artistic talent at all."

Quote: "Yes, this is something that I would support as well as I have absolutely no artistic talent."

I know it's probably not what you guys had in mind; but you can always purchase 3D assets from the store, load em up in a modeling program, grab a screenshot, crop it, and then use the image as a sprite. And of course, hockeykid's SpriteMe program is another option; which can be used to convert 3D characters/items with animations from the GC store or TGC model into sprite sheets. Just a few alternatives to consider with resources already available of course, until the 2d sprite market become more common at TGC

Anyway, if anyone is actually interested in the first method mentioned, and wants to give a shot, I can probably throw together a small tutorial to cover the entire process. In the mean time, a quick look at the process;

Kravenwolf

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 02:07
Hi Guys,

Rick and I often have this discussion about 2D art, but it always ends up the same way. I want to take all the art we create when we do a 2D game or app, and store it as a library you can use to fill gaps in your art requirements. Rick counters with the fact that the 2D art created is so specific to the game we have created they cannot really be used anywhere else without looking odd and out of place. The solution in this case would be to commission general game clip art, but art is very expensive when you want to create a huge library of it. Done professionally, for the price of AppGameKit, you would probably get one backdrop and a few sprites moving around on it Kravenwolf's technique is a great one as it allows you to source a near infinite library of existing 3D models out there, and choose your own lighting, perspective, size and format. Where I not to have the services of an artist, this is the route I would probably take myself.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 02:47
Yup. All the artwork for Asteroid Blast was taken from 3D models.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:34:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:34:47