Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Need some help - cellular automata w/ MysticMod

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 18:48 Edited at: 14th Aug 2011 18:50
Here's the premise:

You are in a man-made lake that has 8 different species of flora: 4 native and 4 invasive. Your mission is to help restore balance to the lake by eliminating the invasive species. All 8 species if left alone will grown and spawn over time, however the spawning rate for the invasive species is faster than that of the native species. If an invasive species spawns in an area near a native species, it blocks the native's ability to spawn in that area.

Given the new variable system in MysticMod, how do you all recommend I achieve this set of behaviors. The main thing that is unclear to me is how to spawn entities over time without the "mother" dying first. From what I understand of the spawning system it either requires that an entity spawn immediately or that it spawn after death or after a delay after death.

The AI I am describing here is essentially a simple rule-based celluar automata. The plant AI would be something like this:

1) Begin (self spawn)
2) Wait a defined amount of time
3) Look to see if another species has spawned near you
3a) if open space exists, spawn an offspring in that space
3b) if no open space exists, do not spawn
4) Loop step 3 until death
4a) Death occurs from time out
4b) Death occurs from player killing plant

Any ideas on how to do this?

THANKS!!
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 00:57
Man, I really need to look more into the variables. A lot of the things you guys come up with makes me seem just flat-out lazy.

Well. Good luck with this one. Wish I could make things as well and as fast as you

Cheesehead for life.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
i hear you le shorte some guys are like bullets on here, i feel like im in the classroom again and the teachers asked a question and the entire class are eagerly putting up there hands saying miss miss pick me, and i am on my own looking perplexed thinking, bugger needed to concentrate more,

i will contribute but not sure what yet,

and too the speedy guys keep going keep me in confused perplexed awe!

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 02:17
Well for what it's worth while I've only been working in FPSCx10 for about 12 months, it's my full time job more or less. On top of that I have been working in simulation for 10 years and have undergrad degrees in English, Information Technology, a masters in Modeling and Simulation and expect to complete the PhD in M&S in the next 12 months...so I'm coming in with some tools. Despite that I still discover very basic things every day that I did not know. Like...Camera Fly Mode...had no idea that even existed until a week or so ago.

MysticMod has opened up x10 to a whole new world of behaviors and possibilities. I wish I were a better programmer. If I could get one of the CS grads at my lab to work in FPSC with this system, they could go nuts with it in short order.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 02:43
I was completely wrong about the spawning system requiring the mother to die. Not sure how I've missed this one for so long but....there you go.

I've got some leads now...will keep you all posted. This also has big consequences for the particle effects system I'm working on.

Just another example of how you can learn some things in great depth and totally miss some basics....I just also noticed that you can set spawning parameters in the FPE file. I know I've seen it a zillion times before but it never sunk in and I thought it had to be done in editor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 07:55:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 07:55:03