Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Faster Graphics Load / Background loading?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 22:53
Okay here's my thing. I'm writing a program that loads a lot of bmps. If I loaded them all up at the start of the program it would take a longer time than I'd like (especially when I'm replaying and testing this program over and over again).

But loading them incrementally through the program, or even one at a time is still a pain in the neck. It does take a percievable and not acceptable amount of time to load them, pausing before the program can accept another command.

So what I want to know is, is there a way for me to load these images into the program, while still having the program run its command loop for other things? IE background loading of images, or in another process, or some such thing?

I recall I asked if background file loading were possible elsewhere, related to text files, but I can't find the thread. I'm wondering if there's anything in DB for images that way, or if it's even possible to run two seperate DB programs and have them communicate to do it?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:25
IanM has a background loading system - might be worth visiting his web site.

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Insert witty comment here...
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:46
Hmm. Thank you. I've found the DLL he made and it may be exactly the trick. I'll give it a try.
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 01:26
Getting some errors using the DLL unfortunately.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 01:39
Bounce an e-mail along IanM's direction, and all will be revealed...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Insert witty comment here...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 02:03
Email reply on its way back ... and why do you have two different names?
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 03:19
Do you mean Rknight and my real name? Otherwise I don't get the question.

No relation between the two whatsoever actually. I've been on the net since '93 or so and my standard USERID's always been wknight, rknight or cknight (chess knight, white knight, rose knight, etc.)

Well I do happen to be a Knight of Columbus, (measly first degree, late on my dues).

Thanks for the email. I'll fiddle around with it all later tonight. Spent about 6 hours today with my head in code, and need to take a breath now. Whew.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 09:52
That explains it then - it's just that Rknight sounds like a real name
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 16:03
Ha ha. Yeah I think I know why you think that! Thanks for being so helpful btw. Everyone on these forums has been, especially the moderators.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 05:30:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 05:30:39