Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Wifi broadcasting: how it works????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I've just download AppGameKit, reading docs, etc.
I don't find instructions, docs or IDE options about how Wifi broadcasting works.
My question is how can I send an exampe compiled in my PC to my iPad??
thanks in advance!
and congratulations!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 21:58
You'll have to wait for the AppGameKit Player to be approved in the app store. When you have that downloaded and installed on your iPad, you'll run that and then in the IDE click on the button for Compile, Run, and Broadcast. (It's the button just to the right of the green Run arrow.)

The app will be sent to the device over your WiFi network and will run.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 06:11
And make sure your firewall allows the software to communicate with the wifi device you choose. If nothing happens at the other end, 95% of the time it's because your router or firewall(s) are blocking.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn easy with AGK. If your firewall is not blocking it, you just start the player on one platform, then start your project on your dev machine. After some seconds, you will see the project running on the other platform. In my house, My Imac isn't setup to have a network connecting with my Windows machine. But the player is served without a problem.
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 13:05 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 14:02
Maybe you can give me a hint.

Currently I have:

Dev Machine:
Windows 7 64 bit, no firewall, private (home) network, DHCP IP address

Mac Book Pro:
MacOS Lion 64 bit, no firewall, static IP address

I installed the player on MacOS. It starts and waits for the testgame.

Now I start AppGameKit on the dev machine and click compile, run and broadcast. The game starts on the dev machine but on MacOS, nothing happens.

The ping from one to the other machine works on both sides.

Is there anything that needs to be setup? I use a Fritz router where I allow communication between computers. So I think everything should be fine here. Any advice?

Maybe some more info what is needed would be nice. (Port etc.)

Life is good!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 15:02
Hi Thomas,

The broadcast uses UDP communication between an IP address that watches for string messages from any other IP address on the local network (192.168.X.X) and when received, will respond with a similar string message back to the origin of that message. This creates a link between the two IP addresses and two-way communication begins.

If your hardware router is preventing any of this discovery procedure then the broadcast would fail (usually a firewall issue but could be an extra security setting in your router to prevent unauthorised access to your local network). What is the exact model number of the Fritz router, so we can investigate further? Email direct to paul@thegamecreators.com who has been looking at this issue already which actually happened between two ageing XP machines.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 18:44
In case anyone else has a similar problem with apps not getting broadcast, this particular case was caused by multiple network adapters being active on the Windows machine, with the app being broadcast to the network that didn't contain the Mac.

We couldn't find a solution that didn't involve disabling the offending network adapter, but there may be a better solution lurking in there somewhere.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 18:36
Glad I found this. The broadcast wasn't working, and then after reading Paul's last post, I noticed that I had to VMWare network adapters. After disabling them, the broadcast is working properly.

Thanks

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:35:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:35:32