Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Advice For The Non-Programmer Wanted

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, so I downloaded AppGameKit and have been poking around and man am I overwhelmed. The program itself is great and I can see the power of it. I can tinker around and manage to do some stuff, but I think I may have jumped in a tad bit over my head here. I was wondering if you guys could provide some help...or advice rather. Would it be best for me to pick up some C++ books and just learn to program in native rather than BASIC?

It seems like that would benefit me more in the long run due to the mass of information out there to learn C++ rather than a modified version of BASIC that I can't find any information on. What are your thoughts on this? I assumed that this was a "no programming experience required!" software package and I was wrong (my own fault here). I just need some guidance on a path to take so I can actually get use out of the software. I want to make apps and will do what it takes to get there
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 03:53 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 04:00
Welcome to the Forum and to the world of programming!

To a complete beginner, you are a right, a lot of this will be quite daunting. But trust me when I say its not as hard as it seems.

There will be a lot of new concepts initially, but the beautiful thing about programming, is quite a lot of the languages are very similar.

On that note, I think it would serve you well to learn AGK's native language first (which borrows heavily from the Dark Basic language).
It will be quicker to learn than C++ and its less daunting. The beauty is, is that if you ever come to learn C++ in the future, you will realise that you only have to build on top of the knowledge you acquired when you learned Basic.

Although this is not AppGameKit, Daniel TGC posted a collection of video tutorials for Dark Basic Pro:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187474&b=7

There is also a little begginners guide to DBP by Xenocythe:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=64198&b=7

While these won't give you direct help with AppGameKit, because AppGameKit is very similar to Dark Basic, the videos will hopefully give you a grounding into the principles of programming.

If you look through these tutorials, you should be able to see where AppGameKit hold similarities (If you look through the principle documentation) in AppGameKit Program -> Help -> Help -> Principles.

Also check the Examples page in the documentation. The general examples gives you the core info on program.

Hope that helped,
BiggAdd

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 06:36
I agree with BigAdd, BASIC is definitely the way to go. It's infinitely easier than C++ and in my opinion it's a whole bunch of fun to learn too. Very forgiving language, and the results come thick and fast once you've chained some concepts together.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:29:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:29:08