Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / So what do you think so far?

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 11:45
Hi,

The TGC team has spent nearly a year working on AppGameKit and we'd love to hear your initial thoughts. Please post what you think into this thread.

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Nokiaqd
Years of Service
User Offline
I really liked your product.
It is surprising that a new product for you has turned almost smooth. Out of the box I can do almost everything.

Thank you.

But very upset IDE, I very much hope that you will finalize it, where he works F1
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 12:08
Hi Rick,

first of all I want to thank TGC for this wonderful new tool.

After working with AppGameKit for a few hours now I can say that this is
the best "first" version of a TGC product. Everything works as
expected from the start up. Currently I work with Tier 1 as I
don't want to use and setup C++.

Here's a small example I created since yesterday. Maybe I create
a small game out of it. The graphics are only place holders.

http://www.colorarts.de/agk/AGKTest.zip

Controls:
Player 1: A (left) S (right) C (fire)
Player 2: Leftkey Rightkey 0 on numeric field

or

Virtual buttons (touch for later )

Currently there is no goal in it but it's a nice little test for
all sorts of things (Subs, Arrays, Virtual stuff).

Keep up the good work! Now all we need are the players for real
testing

I'm looking forward to new updates ...

Thomas

Life is good!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 12:24
Nice game Thomas! That was quick!!!

Financial Director
TGC Team
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I've found a few bugs so far, but that's not surprising considering it has just released. But, all-in-all I'm loving it. The only thing is, it would be nice if IDE could tell me what parameters the function I'm currently typing uses.

pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 12:39 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 12:39
Just a quick feedback (and personal, of course)

- Great concept approach, I mean, is Basic, is easy and is powerful enough to develop 70% of the games you can find at AppStore. By the way, offer a Tier 2 in order to reach the advanced users is a pretty good idea. Who cares Classes, Methods, Abstraction and that kind of things? people with that knowledge and concerned by that can develop perfectly under Xcode and ObjC or something.

- IDE is a little painful still, some key options what are a must are missing, but you can work at least. F1 for help, copy/paste, predefined schemes and styles, etc.. It would be great to have a better IDE in the next stages of development.

- Commands set is powerful, as I told, great to develop most of the concepts you can see at appstores..

- Missing specific support as iOS Ad banners, a lot of people value this highly, for example, GameCenter, OpenFeint.... this stuff is KEY if you want products developed with AppGameKit can be take seriously.

- Connectivity with databases, what is KEY to me in the internet entertainment era, most important even that multiplayer support, for sure. Having database conectivity you're empower the product 1000%.

- Android, the sooner you bring it to users, the sooner your user database will grow, as iOS and Android as the key OS... bada, meego, blablabla is good as a feature but you know less than 2% are going to do something noticeable there.

- Particles, good as default feature but complicated in order to obtain pretty good effects.

- Physics, great, I don't miss anything here, is more than expected to me.

- Collisions, great.

- Use of "one-word-commands" is perfect, to use commands composed by various words ala DarkBasic was some kind of joke

- Documentation, good, but a little example of use in each command would be great.

I guess I forget a bunch of things

As sum up, pretty good language, next months will be key in order to consolidate it and its community in order to take it seriously or not.

Congratulations for the release.
jbarberoj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 13:27
AGK is fantastic. The language is very easy and intuitive. The documentation is great. The included examples are very usefull and gave me a lot of inspiration for future games.
dijster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 13:57
Still waiting for my bank transfer purchase to be processed from yesterday.
I've had a good look at the commands and how things work and I'm really looking forward to writing games in AGK
darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 14:09
I like very much AppGameKit but
I expected 3 things in first release:

1) debug command .
2) with cursor positioned on left of a command , pressing F1 (or other function key) call help for that command.
3) breakpoint management.
CodeGit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 15:07 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 15:08
Very nice. Thanks guys for delivering such a COOL product. I own almost all the other Indie tools (Unity, Monkey etc etc) and this definitely rates amongst the BEST.

thanks
Anigma
Years of Service
User Offline
Kinda bummed that there's no Android support yet.. I've recently got a new Android phone and in looking at all the dev tools out there for it, AppGameKit looks to be the most promising for guys like me who enjoy using Basic to write quick and fun little 2D games. Any word on when Android support will be coming and if I buy now, will Android support be released as a free upgrade for existing users?

I will most likely be purchasing it in the next couple of weeks (gotta wait until payday, darn it) anyway so I can get a feel for the product and get some games ready to roll when Android comes out, but it's still worth asking when Android support is coming and also, most importantly for me, if that's included in the asking price or if I'll have to pay extra for it.

Thanks!

It compiled! Ship it!
briwal
Years of Service
User Offline
First a little background. I write embedded systems software for a profession. I have written an iOS program in Objective-C and published it about 18 months ago (check it out called "The Word Chase"). Didn't make much money but did it for the experience.

I purchased AppGameKit for the cross-platform capabilities (mostly iOS, Android, and WP7).

I'll most likely be doing Tier 2 publishing to the individual stores. So I'm looking at the C++ language support.

So far I'm going through the examples and testing out how things work. Comparing support for BASIC vs C++. Impressed so far.

I would have liked the function parameters that are settings (like in SetErrorMode(int)) to be enum's instead of int but understand that is not supported in BASIC.

Will comment some more later.

Can't wait for Android and WP7 support but there is plenty here to keep me busy!!
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
It is very awesome it is do fast and I love the IDE,the only thing that is missing is the dot,box,line commands.

I did some searching and found This:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99092&b=6

and decided to convert it to work with the agk to see how it ran:

SamuraiCrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 17:32
I had to wrestle a little bit with the Mac version but got it working. Besides the template issue I mentioned in http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188148&b=41 I'd had to CHOWN the folders and contents from my admin account to my user account. Once I got that done it seems to work.

I'll keep tinkering with it. If it's as good as the documentation indicates, I'm going to have fun with this one. It looks about as complete as SDL 1.3 or SFML 2.0 but with more hand-held portability.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, not had that much chance to test it yet, but a few things annoy me a little.
1. The lack of seeing command parameters along the bottom of the ide when you move you mouse over the command. Invaluable, especially when learning a new language. Some of the commands have a fair few optional parameters, and it's easy to forget exactly what order is needed for them at the min.
2. No F1 key to take you direct to the command help screen. Manually searching through documentation on a browser sucks imo. It is one of my major gripes with most DB plugins as well.

I am fairly happy otherwise at the minute. I'm sure the points I raise above will be addressed at some point soon. I can only test the wifi transfer of games with my netbook (I have no other devices on the list), but it worked straight away, which was nice.

One question while I'm here, why does Agk keep telling me the default aspect has changed and asking me to save when I exit? I keep saying no at the minute. Isn't that project specific?

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 18:14
DVader, when you get asked this question select the checkbox and the IDE will not mention this again.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 22:12
I'm liking it so far, but I think I'll have the most fun once the AppGameKit player is released on the App Store

I do agree with others though - some sort of intellisense support is almost a must. The only other problem I really have so far is that error messages often seem unhelpful (mainly from the compiler), but I think that will improve considerably once we get proper debugger support.

I'd also like the IDE to feature some sort of autocorrect that allowed you to keep casing consistent, but that's not a huge priority.
Caps On!
Years of Service
User Offline
I am absolutely impressed by how well AppGameKit was thought out. Look forward to updates and seeing how this product will evolve.

Truth, Justice, and the Programmer's Way!
Neuro
Years of Service
User Offline
I think one of the best things about AppGameKit for me so far is how it makes working in Tier 2 Xcode extremely easy. Examples are fully commented and easy to follow. Never before i had i bother to use Xcode but now i'm definitely working in it . Great work guys!
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 09:40
IDE needs features like showing what parameters are used for what ect.
Having real trouble compiling in VS2010. As all the files are in V9 format.
Maybe having a tutorial on how to set up a C++ development environment would suffice.
Other than that; its the most stable TGC product I have ever used at release. And the only one.

I applaud you TGC.

Regards,

Max
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 11:05
w00t! I've got a sprite on screen! What more do you need!!

Once I've played with it for a couple of weeks (stop the sniggering) then I might be able to tell.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
ToeKnee
Years of Service
User Offline
I wished the IDE would run native on the Mac, and you could launch the game similar to what you can do on the PC. Then you would really have something!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 14:04
Is there any way to get the GetDirectionX() and GetDirectionY() commands when using the PC keyboard to NOT slowly increase/decreate till they get to their final values? It's not very intuitive when using the cursor keys as there is a delay in stopping movement. (For example, If I was to do this...

The player would start moving right away, but there would be a seconds delay until the player stops moving. Not good)

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
dijster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 15:19
I'm loving it so far, only had time for a little play though.
One thing I think would be helpful in the editor would be a list of user created functions which when clicked would jump to that part of the source.
I'm still very impressed with it so far and can't wait to get some games running in it.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 16:46
Quote: "Is there any way to get the GetDirectionX() and GetDirectionY() commands when using the PC keyboard to NOT slowly increase/decreate till they get to their final values?"

Since the GetDirection commands are cross platform they attempt to copy what an accelerometer would produce, so that the game behaves as similarly on a mobile device as it would on the PC.

You can use the GetRawKeyState commands to detect the arrow keys and then use an alternative method on mobile devices if GetKeyboardExists returns 0 (none) or 2 (on-screen keyboard).
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 17:33
Quote: "You can use the GetRawKeyState commands to detect the arrow keys and then use an alternative method on mobile devices if GetKeyboardExists returns 0 (none) or 2 (on-screen keyboard). "

Ah ha! That works spectacularly! Thanks.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 17:56
First thought was: Oh man, now I have to learn something new and start all over again!

Second thought: Wait a minute man, this is too easy.

Third thought: Watch out suckers, my game is gonna rock!

Fourth thought: Oh man, I have to figure out how to publish my game to Apple's store, because I don't have a Mac.

Fifth thought: I really hope TGC comes through with a publishing deal for us, so we can spend our time coding in AppGameKit instead of jumping through Apple hoops.

Sixth thought: I better stop worrying about publishing my game, and focus right now on creating it.

Final thought: This is the best $80 I ever spent, because this thing is freaking awesome!!!

Seriously though, the AppGameKit is a great product, and the first release is an outstanding job by TGC.
I am so glad I was able to get this now so I can learn it from the ground up before the command list gets expanded too much.
This is really easy to pick up if you have any coding experience in any language, but I am sure it is easy for those who do not have a lot of coding experience.
The documentaion is great (other than calling the ASCII text values ScanCodes ), and I am rolling along much faster than expected.
My code is getting a bit complex at this point even though it is less than 200 lines, but I am commenting like crazy, so...

Bottom line: I have never had such fun programming as I am having with the AppGameKit, and having fun is what it is all about!

THANKS TGC!!!

Kleber Silva
Years of Service
User Offline
Perfect!, Perfect!, Perfect!... In this moment I am doing my project, well, I was with all the graphics and sound ready, only awaiting the release. Very easy and Fast... same no experience with DBpro. It's everything that I Expected, It was worth every penny. Thanks for all, TGC. Woooooo!!!!!! My eight months of waiting paid off, since December, I follow the forum, I follow the newsletter, later, the TGC Facebook Group all days, waiting for this moment !!!!! Congratulations TGC Team !!!!!

Klsilva
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 21:45
This is definitely an great tool and an easy language. I love it.
I just am looking forward to TGC's publishing help and the IOS player.

V2 will be great. I can't wait to make games for Android.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 00:44
This is a great tool and a language that is very easy to learn, especialy if like me, you have a little experience in DBP. In my opinion it's even easier to use than DBP. I have come half way on a projet in 3 days. I made the same program in 3d in DBP and it took at least more than a week.

The only thing I want is the AppGameKit player for iOS, and a feature like in DBP where the required parameters for a function was printed in the bottom left corner.

Srry about my english im from sweeden
briwal
Years of Service
User Offline
Not too impressed with the text rendering. Is there a utility that will create the .png and .txt file required for SetTextFontImage?
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 04:42 Edited at: 18th Aug 2011 04:45
I can Say Just one Thing!!!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!! Thanks for a so great and easy to use product!!! Its incredible how just whit so much little coding One can get results so fast and so easy.

Note: Just one little thing guys and this appart for my experince whit the product So far: I know You are using CodeBlocks for the IDE and I had used before. So why remove the AutoComplete Plugin (I miss it, I miss that little screen that appears when you hit Ctrl + Space!!! ) and even the CodeBlocks PlugIn support???? Sorry if some one already comment on this.

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 06:06 Edited at: 18th Aug 2011 06:07
Seriously good job. You should be very proud of what you guys have accomplished with this. I especially appreciate the tight integration with Box2D which to me is a master stroke.

A few minor requests:

When you hit enter or mouse click in the IDE, I'd like the commands to auto-capitalize. I got used to this with GLB. So, if you typed setspritepositionbyoffset it would automatically be changed to SetSpritePositionByOffset.

I REALLY miss the command syntax displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the screen. This makes it so much easier and quicker to work, especially when it is new to you.

The documentation needs an example for every command. Also, it would be nice if the scancodes page were linked from pages that deal with keyboard input. I had to dig to find them. I would also like to have a PDF version of the manual.

I'd really like to be able to fold functions.

Intel Core Duo2 Quad Q9550 @2.8 GHz - Asus P5N-D - 2x 1GB PNY GeForce GTX 460 OC SLI - 8GB RAM - Creative X-FI - Windows 7 64-bit. iPad1 16GB 3GS, iPad2 32GB WiFi, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4
Caps On!
Years of Service
User Offline
The best software I have purchased in my life!

Truth, Justice, and the Programmer's Way!
Dream Scape
Years of Service
User Offline
Loving it!

I've already built my basic platform enginge with animated character and gravity - plus a nice little touch joystick (for movement) and button (for jump).

Can't wait for the IOS player so I can try this out.

Great work you guys!
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Love it I think it is awesome the only thing is the ide needs the command syntax displayed on the status bar
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 23:14 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 02:58
Quote: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!! "

I swear I was going to say the same thing when I posted earlier...but I wasn't sure how to spell it.

How do I change the icon in the upper left of the App?

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 10:57
Quote: "Second thought: Wait a minute man, this is too easy.
"

I spent many, many an hour trying to work with DBPro, and create something. I never accomplished much.

After having a quick play when I got this but not being able to sit down and have a 'proper' go, I thought "I think this will be the same as DBpro for me and I won't create anything"... I followed Daniel's random number game tutorial and thought "Cool, I understood this but I'm not sure if I will be able to do something on my own.."

How wrong was I, this is incredibly easy to use... "too easy". I decided to look at the 2d board and grabbed David's frogger sprites. Apart from a few tweaks to the random generation of traffic, and trying to figure out how to move on logs the way I want, I have a fully functioning game of frogger made in a matter of hours. (Before I ask for help in getting things to work from the geniuses on this forum, I really want to figure it out on my own.)

I really can't wait to see what I can create with this, because I truly feel that I will be able to create something cool with this.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 14:34
Quote: "I spent many, many an hour trying to work with DBPro, and create something. I never accomplished much."

I think my problem was finding DBPro after it had 6 years of updates.
The command set was overwhelming, which made it a bit difficult to pick up fast.
Now, we have the luck of being able to start with AppGameKit from the start, so we can learn as we go and soak up all the new stuff as it comes.

Quote: "Apart from a few tweaks to the random generation of traffic, and trying to figure out how to move on logs the way I want, I have a fully functioning game of frogger made in a matter of hours. "

Awesome
It still amazes me at how many people start with Frogger, but it is more amazing that it can be cloned from scratch in less than a day.
Just goes to show how time consuming creating the graphics can be.

The only bad news about using AppGameKit is that I won't get to play with FPSC for awhile.
The FPI scripting will have a lot of new conditions and actions by the time I get back to scripting in that, so I'll be a bit lost.
I was still trying to play catch up on the changes to the FPI with the v117.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 01:50
Quote: "Now, we have the luck of being able to start with AppGameKit from the start, so we can learn as we go and soak up all the new stuff as it comes."

Yes I'm sure this is part of it. I also think my brain works better in 2 dimensions

Quote: "It still amazes me at how many people start with Frogger, but it is more amazing that it can be cloned from scratch in less than a day."

It amazed me even more. I didn't think I would be able to do it. Still working on my changes but it's getting closer to working as I want. My code is probably not efficient though.

FlyingWild
Years of Service
User Offline
Sadly, there are no words to describe how good AppGameKit is. The example workspace and projects answered all my questions. AppGameKit = awesome!
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 17:38
I am positively impressed with the product, maily with e language itself, which seems so easy to get started for a newbe like me.

The only thing I found still need a lot of work is the IDE itself. Today is not much more than a good editor - it works well, but it doesn't bring very useful tools to improve productivity. To start being a IDE I think it must have:

- Context sensitivity help
- A "go to declaration" kind of thing, where you can jump directly to the function when selecting the function call.
- Debug - basic stuff: step by step, breakpoints and watch variables
- "Intellisense"
- Before debug, it would be ok having a console view on the IDE where you could have a trace() function where all printing would go to this console. This is very important, imho.

I understand you guys have a lot of things to do, since this is the first version, and I hope you will give the tools some attention.

Keep up the exclellent work.

Paulo
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 10:13
Best software I have purchased ever so far
I just know with the updates this is going to turn into something amazing.

Regards,

Max
wownice908
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 12:35 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 13:43
This is a very good product

Your signature has been erased by a mod because you are a spambot
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 21:42
Very impressed so far, looking forward to creating some great apps/games
m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 03:15
Great program. If I click help the first 3 lines are wiped from view by the AppGameKit banner at the top of the page.

Don't want to sound like a toad but I would have thought you guys would have caught this the first time you tested a help page.

Is it something in my browser set-up or just a slip-up on your part?

Small thing perhaps but ....

Again a great program !!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 03:39
Quote: "My code is probably not efficient though."

That gets better with time.
Sometimes I'll be going through my code and think 'why didn't I use a for next loop for that?' lol
You can always go back and clean it up. (I think most programmers have to)
It is exciting to see this many people having fun with AppGameKit, even if they are my new competition.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 06:02
WOOT! I just did my first broadcast of a game from PC to Mac!

Not a really big deal, but I'm thrilled!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 15:01
Quote: " I just did my first broadcast of a game from PC to Mac!"

Any screenshots or videos of your game?
A lot of people are anxious to see some games made with AGK.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 15:26 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 15:26
Here's a shot of my game......

Besides levels, it's finished.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:09:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:09:16