Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Water Shader in x10

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 18:19 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 18:47
Ummm...so, I just tried something that seemed very stupid to me assuming it would either crash x10 or just do nothing:

I took a dynamic entity that has a spec and normal map and applied the default water shader in x10 to it. And guess what????

It worked...kinda! I've got water moving across a 3D mesh. It does something weird and it pans across my whole diffuse texture when I shift my orientation. Now, I have no idea what role the spec or normal map is playing (if any) but I can tell you that when I tried this with a dynamic entity that didn't have a spec or normal map, it just turned it black.

So what I'm gonna try is actually putting a diffuse texture with a black alpha channel on an entity and see if I get a water bubble. I couldn't control the speed of the water, roughness, color, or any of the in game paramters rather it had a default speed and water effect. But there is definitely something to this and I think we might have puddles real soon and multiple heights for water effects. I will experiment some more and report.

Something else funky...I tried this with the soft decal shader too. It wasn't quite as exciting but it caused the bottom of the entity to be semi transparent and kind of "misty" so maybe there is something to be done here as well.

More later...but this is potentially very exciting!

A video would tell a better story...but that is animated water on that crate:

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 22:29
I'm kinda surprised this isn't generating more interest. Come on, guys! That's a water shader working on a mesh!

I haven't put more time into this as it's not something I need right now but if people were stoked on this, I'd be inclined to find the time to push it forward. Or perhaps someone else would like to check it out.

Just take a dynamic entity that has a _D, _N, and _S texture and change its effect in the editor to effectbank\common\Water10.fx and see what happens.

One other thing I noticed is that it is showing the spec map...not the diffuse. And like I said before, the spec map moves around based on the camera's orientation. I've no doubt that someone could figure out how to do some really cool things with this.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 23:01
I think the reason that no one has posted yet is this:
Quote: "but this is potentially very exciting!"

It would be very cool to see something awesome come out of this, it's rather obvious that shaders are not anyones' forté. Until someone shows some complete new work with x10 shaders, people will be sceptical of "pontentially".

Be yourself, but make sure you don't sound like a dying sheep.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 06:24
Indeed it is potentially very exciting. Though I'm not skeptical at all. I may fiddle around with this a bit, myself.

Cheesehead for life.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 12:59 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 13:01
Just saw this thread and instantly had an idea

Here it is

Enjoy,
-Squalker
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 15:52 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 17:48
thats what i was thinking of squalker that or water monsters or a gelatonous blob that ereodes you and weapons, ( forgot the d&d name )

curious though is that a window changed

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 17:55
@SB yep its a window changed to a portal..
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 18:08
@ SB
I believe you're thinking of an Ochre Jelly. My party just recently fought one

Cheesehead for life.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
@ squalker nice work

@ le shorte fantastic thats the fella

you know what the fpsc store is needing, a good set of none biped monsters with a few bipeds thrown in too

a beholder
an ochre jelly
a mimic
a 2 headed mutant
a willow o wisp
a good typical cloacked figure which there seems to be none of
an evil witch
a liche
a giant leech

now i would of done these but my 3d canvas is all messed up on windows 7 and hdmi, so it is impossible to make or animate, and i only just got good at it too!

anyway love roleplaying

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 18:37
That's so flippin' cool! The window provides good insights into how to use the water shader in a meaningful way. I look forward to having more time to mess with this. We are going to need to a water pack.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
well i have worked out that it is the spec map that is viewed, not the others. and also worked out that there has to be a clash with bumpentfx and water fx, i put in original script to water effect and it died a death, so you need the clash of bumpent and water10

got it working as a window, nice work squalker, beat me to it, yet windows would of been my last move,

also not got skyscrol working yet!

spent all day getting my portal to work lol

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 23:35
Quote: "also not got skyscrol working yet!"

Was that already released or is that upcoming in the next release of MM?

Great to hear that you all are figuring out the water shader. It would be cool if we could just declare the shader in the FPE file and have it work but I have also found that it only works on entities that have already been rendered as a DBO using bumpent. Bizarre and fascinating!
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
i believe it is in the vanilla version from day one, just been erased as a command, but i will tinker with that in a bit

i think a little compo to see which person does the best water effect and best sky scroll if we get it going of course,

would like a loop of a set of the same skybox just graually darkened and subtly changing to make the illusion night and day or to make the sky box itself rotate, i just see a big box waiting to be exploited!
but one step at a time lol

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 00:05 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 00:06
@SB, I think that is a great idea! Some healthy competition to get everyone cranking on these features would go a long way. Along with an animated sky box, I was thinking about the possibility of doing some cloud meshes (that would use the movefore, floatrate, etc commands) could be placed up at level 16 or so with some lights up at level 19 to add some moving cloud shadows onto the terrain. Maybe the clouds would actually need to be lower to get the shadows to render in a meaningful way...but it might be a very nice touch.

Maybe even make the textures transparent so you just get the shadows.

But yeah...one step at a time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:52:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:52:12