Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / questions...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
what is the difference between c++ and Visual c++? because tried compiling the quake 1 & 2 source with a vanilla c++ compiler and it wouldnt work. Also, with a dll would i be able to code my own bumpmapping, vertex shaders, pixel shaders, shadows ect? i havent tried these yet but i hear they only work with higher-end cards. the reason i want to know is because these effects will work with non-DBP games and(i think)dbp's effect's wont work with my cheap graphics card(GF4MX 440). would it be faster with a dll?

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Try GCC compiler but I am not too sure. But i can guess the difference. I think that microsoft moves some things around like they did for Visual J++(which is now C#)(J++ was microsofts version of Java) and normal c++ compilers are normal. Thats what it think. Don't get mad if I am wrong. I am just trying to help.

AMD Atherlon 2400+ XP, 380 DDr memeory, ATI Radeon 9000 64 DDR, Windos XP home edition.
-----------------------And a Katana.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 09:50
I don't know what you did, but I managed to get Quake compiling Ok with VC++ - both for version 6 and .NET. No changes were required.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 15:48
visual J++ is now J#, not C#

-RUST-
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 15:56
C# is a new language which is some kind of funky hybrid of lots of others.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 00:24
I have had issues running C++ programs (just simple 'Hello World') with VC++ 6.0 also. I am just statring out, so I might be doing something wrong. hmm...

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 00:55
I got a demo of Visual C++ 6.0, I'd say its crap compared to Dev-C++, but then again, it is only a demo.

Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
ianM, i think the reason it wouldnt compile is because the readme that came with the source said to comile it with visual C++. and i used a demo of devC++. but i was really just using quake as an example. whats the dif between c++ and visual c++? also, can anyone answer my effect questions? i heard something the other day about dll's being very slow with dbp.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 01:35
Dev-C++ is great. It's even better because it's free, but it doesn't really compare to the quality of VC++.NET IDE (although it's about the same quality as the VC++6 IDE IMO) ... and the executables are far smaller and faster too - the only compiler that produces faster executables is the Intel C++ compiler.

In answer to your other question, according to Mike, you should be able to use vertex shaders with your card ...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 01:37
Quote: "i heard something the other day about dll's being very slow with dbp"

Where did you hear that nonsense?
Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
would i be able to make a dll with dev C++?

"you should be able to use vertex shaders with your card ... "

i can?!?! sweet!

"Where did you hear that nonsense?"

from raven. he said something about having to "figure out the collision, parser something out which would be SLOW" and having no real access to the pipeline. but i probably misunderstood something
. yet i also heard that you could make HL2-level graphics with dll's ?

Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
heres what he said:

actually the only thing really standing in the way is that there is no real access to the pipeline and/or object instances outside of DBPs current standing DLLs.

Although you can still achieve physics DLLs the way in which you must take all of the objects current attributes, parser them, figure out the collision and parse them back is a nightmare and SLOW.

ohhh, i think i get it now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:41:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:41:14