Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Executables and compile times

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Dear all,

Please forgive me if this has been asked/answered elsewhere, but my searches are drawing a blank (TGC - update the forum GUI - exactly how old is it!).

I have two questions:

1) My biggest gripe about DBp was the compile times. Compared to other popular languages, DBp took a bleedin' age to compile and get going even with the simplest of 'Hello World's. How does AppGameKit stand up to DBp in terms of compile times? Is it instant, or can you go make a cup of tea while you wait?

2) Will AppGameKit build Windows executables without a player? If so, can it be considered an acceptable alternative to DBp for simple 2D games?

Many thanks.

T.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 23:03
1. The compile time is nearly instant. IMHO, DBP isn't that bad. Especially when I'm working on a project spanning 10 source files with a combined total of 18,000 lines.

2. When building an AppGameKit app for Windows, the Player actually becomes your executable, but it's modified so that your game is the only thing it runs.

When building for other platforms, you basically do the same thing to compile slightly modified copy of the AppGameKit Player for that platform so that it only runs your Tier 1 bytecode file.

On the KISTech Studios - Games Page there are 2 games made with AGK. The Getaway Car has compiled executables for both Windows and Mac, and I'm working on the MeeGo port right now.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm working on the MeeGo port right now"

Ooh, exciting! Any chance you could let me know how it goes, and what environment you use for making the final application?

I've downloaded the Meego 1.2 Preview build for Windows, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 23:18
I'm still installing the 1.2 SDK. It takes some time.....

After going through the instructions for Mac, and pulling that off successfully, the MeeGo build doesn't look any more difficult.

I'm using the Lite version of The Getaway Car as a test case. I'm not going to submit it as is. There's some polish that needs to be done before that really goes out. But since it's a working app, I thought I'd give it a shot and see how easy it is to port to the other platforms.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 23:32
Disable your virus checker when you compile DBPro games.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " It takes some time....."

Yeah, tell me about it. I thought I was getting a nice small download. Ran the installer another gigs worth of download later it finishes!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 00:55 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 01:05
I didn't see an option for Core in Targets, and there was an error in one of the last downloads. It's giving me fits now.

[edit]
Uninstalling and reinstalling the SDK...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:37:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:37:44