Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / No full screen?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 20:08
I've just setup a complete project skeleton and in my preferences setup (using Winapi) class I have screen resolution and a full screen flag. After having a browse through the documents I noticed that the only way to go into full screen is to have a window the same size as the desktop.

Am I stuck with just a window and full screen at the same as the desktop size?

I'd like to have options like full screen 640 x 480, 800 x 600, etc... or as a window.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 21:13 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 14:46
Full screen exclusive mode is dinosaur of the past and was useful when video memory was scarce and not having to render the desktop could yield a boost in performance.

Full screen windowed applications are the future because they allow seamless transitions if the user wants to switch desktops such as those seen in the Windows 8 previews and OSX Lion.

There are examples in the help file which demonstrate how to change the desktop resolution as well as achieve full screen windowed mode without other windows overlapping it. This will create an identical result to full screen exclusive but without the video state being changed.

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 00:03
I strongly disaggree with you. Fullscreen is not dinosaur. Have you ever played doom 3 or counter strike in window mode or Left 4 dead?
Window mode distroys the atmosphere of the game.

I never play a total horror game and I see my windows behind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:48:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:48:26