Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / iOS player sharing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 08:11 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 08:12
Hi,

I understand that the iOS player is still waiting to be approved by apple, and that it can be compiled by someone with a mac.

So is it possible to give my iOS device ID for someone with mac to be compiled to run on my device?

Or just get the app with whatever provision profile and run it using a JB (justin biebered) device?

And its good to be back here after so many years! I ordered AppGameKit without thinking twice! using DBP from 2003 to 2008 I totally trust TGC products

I'm back
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 11:39
If you know someone with AppGameKit, a Mac, Xcode and they are registered as an iOS developer then you can give them your device ID and they can build the iOS AppGameKit Player for you.
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 21:37
The only dude I know who have a mac is an animator and he wont be able to understand all of this.

So anyone in this forum would like to help? I really have to test AppGameKit performance on iPhone before I can plan my project.

The first thing I want to do is programming a tile map engine.

I'm back
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 00:11
I'm wondering when the iOS AppGameKit Player was submitted to the App Store. Normally it would take a maximum of 10 business days for an app to be released/rejected.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Not really. I know people who waited for 8 weeks before being rejected
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Just incase you guys weren't in the IRC chat yesterday, the iOS app was rejected by Apple. Details from the chat log are:

[08:11] <pgarcia> so, the player was first rejected by Apple. Can you tell us why? What changes are you doing? Is it going to affect the workflow?

[08:14] <+LeeTGC> Apple is pretty firm about not allowing virtual machines of any description, so it was natural they would prolong the approval process. We're working on a modified version that satisfies their concerns and should be able to give you more news in a few weeks time.

[08:20] <+LeeTGC> Apple found the app conflicted with two rules within their guidelines in respect of running non-validated byte code on the App Store. We anticipated this, but wanted to try submitting the basic player anyway to tick that off our list. There was always the possibility they would have treated the AppGameKit Player rightly as a development tool, but they are not making this distinction at the moment. We're working on a modified version now

[08:10] <pgarcia> Is there a plan B in case the player is not approved for iOS?

[08:11] <+LeeTGC> We have a plan B and C for iOS AppGameKit Player. We should have something to announce in a few weeks I think.
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 12:30
I was expecting this, that's why I've been working on my own plan B since yesterday since no body seems to like the idea of compiling the player for me.

If it works I'll share it with whoever needs it, I do have an iOS developer account, been using it with Adobe AIR.

I'm back
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 13:37
Sounds interesting... Would be very interested in anyone's plan B personally, just can't wait to try some stuff out on the iPod touch!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 15:39
Can we get the code for the AppGameKit player somewhere? I may be able to get it to my iPod via jailbrake...

Srry about my english im from sweeden
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 15:41
you'll find it inside AppGameKit instaltion folder

The Game Creators\AGK\IDE\apps\interpreter_ios

I'm back
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 16:19
Yesterday I decided to jailbreak my iPad and install the player there. It took a while, but I made it. Now I have the player installed and working!

Of course I'll have to spend the $99 at some point, but for now this is good enough.

Since I have a Mac and XCode 4, it wasn't hard to install the AppGameKit Player, but for lack of knowledge, I have no idea how to install it without that, but it seems possible.

For the IRC answers I've got, TGC is working with Apple making AppGameKit Player to meet Apple's rules, so if you're not comfortable jailbreaking your device, I'd wait couple of weeks to see what happens before taking this road.

My opinion is that if you're still developing your game, keep doing it on PC. But if you're curious about see your unfinished game on iPad (like me!), you still have this option.

Of course, the easiest solution for who can is getting a Mac, pay the developer fee and you're all set

Cheers

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope this won't compromise any features of AGC Tier2
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If the player was rejected, then imho Apple could also have problems with any AppGameKit app. IF they find out that it is made with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Apple should have no problems with Tier1/Tier2 as they are both compiled via Xcode, just like apple wants.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 17:08
No, the point in rejecting the app was that it was againts their rule that no programs that havn't been aproved by apple are supposed to run on iOS.

G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 17:23
I am almost there! I compiled the ios player and it ran on the simulator, but I am still fighting with Xcode to sign it for my iPod!
And yes, I am still using my PC

I'm back
Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 18:14
Take a look in this thread for the signing part.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188515&b=41

iOS Apps from Trisect Development.
Click here.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The point for Apple is that they don'twant VM apps. And the APK player is just that. A VM. And your game made with AppGameKit is an VM that is running a bytecode that is bundled inside the resources of the app.
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 19:43
okay at last I got the iOS player on my iPod 4, now trying run an example, first few attempts failed.

If someone has a jail-broken iOS device send mean email to g_t_r@hotmail.com and I will reply back with the ipa.

or you can send me you UDID and I will include you in the provision and recompile it later so you can try it without GB.

well unless someone from TGC thinks its a bad idea.

I'm back
Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK Studio Always
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 21:17
I had a feeling Apple would do just this, i said so on the irc channel. gutted, this wrangle could go on for agaes. this is why i dont own a mac.

There can only be one
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 22:28
GTR, sent you an email

G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 04:11 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 05:51
Ok I am done testing on my iPod ... and I have to say...
ITS FREAKING AMAZING!!!! Seriously! I've been fighting with Flash to get animations to work fast, and spent months programming an extremely optimized engine to run good on iOS, I've managed to do this in few lines, while it took me several pages to make a custom animation and rendering engine for Flash not mentioning the time spent in trial and error!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gua_rWuAig

while this might look good, I cant scale, or rotate, or set alpha, any of these commands will reduce the speed around 4 times.

I will start porting this game right way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_YVF5bq7_s

TGC are awesome!

[edit]
well I think I was over excited back there, I am too attached to OOP, I think I need some time to get used to its absence. and I never understood OOP in C++ which requires a lot of reading and temper and that is my weakest point due to my ADHD.
Though with all these advantages in AppGameKit it worth the risk!

I'm back
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 15:19
Cool game you got there G T R.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi GTR,

nice game. Did you do the graphics yourself?

Michael
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 16:17
Thanks Steve, Mike

the monster in the first video was designed and animated by 2 guys in my team, it belongs to an unfinished flash game, you can find it here:
http://ammarz.com/flame
or just google "Project Flame"

in the other video I drew all the graphics, though they're just place holders.

I'm back
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, for being place holders, I like them a lot.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 03:22 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 03:23
Just to calm fears of your finished AppGameKit apps being rejected by Apple because of the Virtual Machine system, we have just had Snake Snacker approved and is available from the App Store right now Snake Snacker was a game created by our Financial guy, who has not programmed in 20 years, and is doing quite well in the Kids charts. Not only can AppGameKit apps get approved by Apple, but they get approved quite fast these days

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/snake-snacker/id459426689?mt=8

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 04:12
That's good to hear! I'll surely use Basic for fast projects.
And C++ for big games, C++ happened to be easy when I am motivated, I mastered classes, pointers, inheritance, polymorphizm in 1 day! and the first thing I am going to do is coding a OOP framework on top of AGK.

for example:

I still cant figure out how to make something like this:

seems there's no getters and setters in C++

I might even go further by coding screen management classes with transitions.
my only problem in life is that I focus enough when reading boring detailed texts, which is why AppGameKit is perfect for me

oh and by the way, can I access native GUI features in iOS with C++?
I suggest supporting native GUI in tier 1, which would make AppGameKit a perfect tool to create fast GUI apps.

I'm back
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 04:28
T1 will always be the province of the universal app, so we would not support a specific platforms UI. We would want your app to look the same across all devices for consistency of experience. That said, there have been calls/requests for platform specific T1 command sets but we'll chat about that again once AppGameKit is a little more established.

You can of course do pretty much what you like in T2 C++, including using the iOS GUI from the SDK. Mix and match as you see fit. In fact, one of our top coding bods, Mike, added AdMob in one day to a T2 C++ natively compiled app and it's now selling on the App Store. Download it and see the adverts at the base of the screen at: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/snake-snacker/id459426689?mt=8

Also, if you are insistent on going uber C++, and don't mind deviating from the T1 style of coding, then AppGameKit also exposes it's OOP classes for you to inherit from, such as:

agk::sSprite *pSprite = new agk::sSprite;
pSprite->SetPosition ( x, y );

I personally avoid recommending this approach as down the line we might introduce a fancy cross compiler which can take your T1 and convert it to T2 (and vice versa), but such a converter would find the above two lines very tricky to convert. I would always recommend the more traditional AppGameKit style, not least because it's a little easier to read:

agk::CreateSprite ( 1 );
agk::SetSpritePosition ( 1, x, y );

We created T2 C++ so you can have as little or as much control over your app code as you wish, without forcing you down a single path that might not suit your preference or time frame.

G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 04:54
The thing is that I am coming from AS3 and Java background and been using it exclusively for 3 years, and when I started playing with AppGameKit I was confused of how to organize my project, as my aim is to make a long story based platform artistic game with RPG elements, and this would obviously involve a lot of coding which is why I need OOP.

Are you planning to add blitting functions? this would be helpful to make tile based maps rather than having to emulate it with sprites!
or maybe even rendering everything with blitting for big maps.

I'm back
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 03:41
We've not really explored blitting commands for AGK. We're seeing how far we can go with sprites (which is nothing more than an organised batch of blits each cycle). There are requests for more image grabbing/pasting but we'll see how these discussions evolve and tackle each problem with sprite commands until there limits are clearly exceeded for certain app functionalities.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
so what are agk sprites in ogl terms?

are they textured quads or something else?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 00:15
Yep, textured quads or point objects, whatever the device uses

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:18:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:18:00