Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can I use AGK IDE to write C++ program?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 12:51
Can I use AppGameKit IDE to write C++ program? I like both C++ and broadcast mode.

give my best
Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 13:10
I think you will find that you can not use the AppGameKit IDE as it is for Basic not C++.

Scotty
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 06:45
I see.

give my best
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 08:41
Halley, what you can do is download Code::blocks which is a c++ ide and is what the AppGameKit BASIC IDE is based on. In fact I believe TGC customized Code::blocks to make the AppGameKit BASIC IDE.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
^Although it still wouldn't work for broadcast mode

Why does blue text appear every time you are near?
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 11:35
Quote: "Although it still wouldn't work for broadcast mode "

True that. I think the broadcasting feature is quite exclusive to TGC I haven't heard of it otherwise...well atleast over multiple OSs anyway .

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 14:15 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 14:18
The IDE is based on code::blocks, you can assign a different compiler or you can install code::blocks itself with the default C++ compiler, it will also compile using Visual Studio 2008/ 2010

However the AppGameKit IDE while based on code::blocks is designed for tier 1 basic commands, you'd likely have to modify it to get it working with C++.

It's easier just to grab a copy of code::blocks from http://www.codeblocks.org/

If you are looking to work directly with iOS or Bada development then it's best to work with xcode and Visual Studio C++

However broadcast mode only works with Tier 1, as working directly with SDK's allows you to install the software directly to the device you are working with.

As a result I'd recommend working in Tier 1 for the prototype, then migrating to Tier 2 specific platform technologies once you have a working prototype, that way you can work on optimizing the program for that specific platform which is the purpose of tier 2.
Davee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 23:12
Quote: "As a result I'd recommend working in Tier 1 for the prototype, then migrating to Tier 2 specific platform technologies once you have a working prototype, that way you can work on optimizing the program for that specific platform which is the purpose of tier 2. "

I take it there is no automated way to port between the Basic of Tier 1 and C++ of Tier 2. Only rewriting the code.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 02:57 Edited at: 7th Sep 2011 02:58
It would be possible to make a program that read in AppGameKit basic and output C++ code. I think TGC has talked about the possibility of more tools down the road so that may be something they could consider.
Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK Studio Always
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 16:36
ive read on the forums somewhere that the TGC team are in fact going to make a compiler for Teir1 to teir 2 C++

There can only be one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 19:54:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 19:54:49