Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / SetSpriteTransparency - Alpha Masking

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Quick question regarding "SetSpriteTransparency"; the documentation states that mode 2 is for alpha-masking mode, however when you try to use this mode you get a runtime error saying that it is not supported.

Is this a bug or has this mode just not been implemented yet?

Many thanks,

Red.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 15:36
It used to be supported but came with a performance hit on most platforms, then when Meego didn't support it at all it was easier to just remove it. You can get the same effect with an alpha transparant image using only alpha values 0 and 255.
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 10:38
Just make a .png file with no background. If you need more information on how to do this let me know with a post. I am following this by receiving email on reply.
Red5
Years of Service
User Offline
Any guidance would be appreciated thanks.

I'm not new to programming (not by a long stretch) but I haven't dabbled with games development since the 80's so as far as creating graphics for games is concerned, I'm a total novice.

I've created PNG images with a "coloured background" such as white and then set the transparent colour to white but this does not look good when displayed on a dark background (you see fringing around the edges which is especially when the PNG image was created with anti-aliasing switched on to smooth things out), so if you can give me some pointers to creating a PNG with "no background" that would be great.

Thanks.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
What graphics tool are you using? If it has a 'background eraser' or 'magic selection' tool you can use that to remove the whie background.

However what you really need to do is recreate the graphic with the transparent background. Removing the background from your current image is likely to leave the fringing.
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 04:24
Red, do out still have a copy of PSP ? If so you can set a transparent background by checking off the option when you start a new image.

Then once your happy with the image. You'll need to export the image with File>Png Optimizer>Transparency. Select Alpha Transparency and your done.
Red5
Years of Service
User Offline
Auger - that's for the info, although I don't have PSP anymore, the last version I had was probably over 10 years ago; I am using some very basic screen grabbing/editing tool right now and just trying to figure out what the best graphics tool is, see my other post...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=189130&b=41

I think I am going to give ProMotion 6 a try.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:54:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:54:34