Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Tier 2 Popup UIViewConroller question (XCODE)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 07:13
in the game im working on, i want to have a mission popup which will explain the current mission he player is working on, however there is no UIView for me to add the UIViewController that i had planned on using.

is there a way to have a popover form with graphics words, buttons, etc that popsover and disables whats under it til the form is dismissed? or is there a way to get the underliying uiViewConroller, looking in the debugger in xcode i cant find the uiviewcotnroller that the opengl uses.

any ideas suggestions. etc...

Cheers,
Deion G.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
There is indeed an UntitledViewController which seems to be the base View agk draws to.

1. Can we simply rename this to something else? Will all continue to work, or we have to change any references?

2. Would love some sample code how to add popups like Deion is suggesting
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 00:26
Remember the second you use a platform specific call in T2, your app is no longer universal and will certainly not compile and run on other devices. UntitledViewController is very much the province of Apple and so your app will be limited to running on iOS devices only.

A better way to solve your underlying issue is to create a small function which accepts a string, and then dynamically create a pop-up box as a sprite, some alpha shadow to create some base relief, and then a cool font and text object to render the text to the screen. This approach means you app remains universal, and it will look the same across all your devices making the experience consistent for your end users.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 02:49
i def wouldnt mind keeping it universal, but looking through the examples, and the help, not sure i know enough about this langauge to do that, so i figured, having to do the above differently for ios, windows, and mac wouldnt be that big a deal, and then android when that is done. the other supported ones right now i honestly don't even know what devices run those on, or if its even worth trying to get some.

but i def would like to keep it universal, anyone have and suggestions? by popupbox, did you mean a image and just put its depth in front of all others? centered? and such?? and a image button on top of that of that in the depth order to close it?

Cheers,
Deion G.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 03:57
Yes just as you describe. Usually the simplest solution is the best one

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
So what is exactly UntitledViewController ?
Can we simply rename this to something else?
Will all continue to work, or we have to change any references?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 17:52
If you have to ask what UntitledViewController is, it's best you leave it alone It's part of the way you create iOS apps and requires some understanding of the Apple SDK. By the time you can use the above class, you can also write native iOS apps. AppGameKit has been designed to shield you from such platform specific horribleness, and venturing beyond it's safe borders should be done at your own risk. Beyond AppGameKit be dragons!

Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 02:04
have the image now working as a popover somewhat. was looking through the documentation to see how to do the bas relief to get the underlying grayed out a little to give it a real popover mobile feel. but cant see that there are any internal calls to do this.. who would be best to do this?

thanks

Cheers,
Deion G.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
use a black picture the size of the screen and set it to 50% transparency.

still I would prefer to see some kind of ui wrapper with easy ios functions for alert boxes etc that can works specifically with agk t2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:30:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:30:46