Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ace Of Space

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 05:23 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 08:06
Ace of Space is my 2 player net game project . It is meant to be a trainer for space combat in "Entropia Universe" (an actual mmo).
Space and space combat is a fairly recent addition to the E'U' , and if you have ever played it you might know how incredibly expensive it can be to do anything in there, which gave rise to the challenge of making my own space sim and try to tune it to the feel of EU so i could become a "space ace" without the financial challenge it brings .
I have been hosting the files on my own site up till now , but it is hard to get decent feedback . I have made the bare bones of the game and im quite pleased how it has turned out so far , but my problem is that EU uses an odd set of controls which i have aproximated but its not quite right so i need help deciphering exactly how EU moves and turns ect.(but for now it is its own thing , a bit of fun and my first multyplayer project)
the files are attached as .rar ,extract anywhere. Files also avalable at ....
http://indiegameslaunch.com
Please try my demo and let me know what you think, also if you play EU and can help me decipher the controls that would be cool please get in touch .

Keys.
W,S Forward back thrust
A,D left / right roll
mouse right and mouse move to turn/pitch
mouse left and mouse move "free look"
R toggle auto full thrust
Space toggle Aim mode (mouse 1 in aim mode to fire)
mouse wheel zoom (in and out of cockpitview)
Return to start chat , return again to send

You can shoot asteroids to get materials and sell them to the big blue asteroid spacestation , if no other players detected the player 2 ship is NPC which gets tougher the more you kill it and weaker if it kills you (for now),have fun..

When you get killed your ship explodes, flinging your helpless body and your precious cargo out into space , will you succumb to the vaccume of space before your assailant can finnish you himself ? Or will he go for your cargo ?? Or both ???

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
well the lack of responce is astounding. has anyone even tryed my game yet?
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
A screenshot or two wouldn't go amiss. There doesn't appear to be any on your website either.
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 03:17 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 03:51
They are definatly there on my site ! Did you look at any but the first page ??
http://indiegameslaunch.com/ace-of-space-download-review.html#/
added one to the op anyway
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 04:44 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 04:45
new screen shot showing the new cockpit view and explosions !

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 05:41
Zootan,
Very nice start. Although I am not familiar with EU, the controls are not very intuitive.
Did you write your own AI or are you using a plugin?
You should not use a full directory path for your media files. Your media files should use a local directory, so the game folder does not have to be on drive “C:\”. I noticed you have a copy of your exe in the game folder?

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP1,Vista,Windows 7 DBpro v7.61
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 07:24 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 10:40
thanks stab in the dark !
its my own AI , simple but effective .Everything is my own doing exept the explosions function i used and the ship model was a freebie off turbosquid(totally unusable until i modified it , the origional model had well over 10k tri's and a few missing bits, so the model is basicly 90% my own work, if that counts )
Eu uses right click to turn when not in "aim mode" when in aim mode it is just mouse move ( i havent done this in my demo yet! )
They made it awkward , i think to make the controls more unique to the game,perhaps to scupper aimbots ? i dunno its just awkward lol.
Oh yes so there is a copy of the exe , i dont know why thats there (my bad somehow) just ignore it , i will delete and re upload
Also i will update it so it doesnt need to be on C:, i know thats messy but i didnt know how , so instead of

what sould i write??
thanks for looking and the feedback
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
ok forget that last question , i worked it out , thnks for making me think about it ...
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 10:59
Using absolute directory paths is a rookie mistake, and if it weren't for the screenshot you posted, I wouldn't give this thread a passing thought.

However, that screenshot is incredible. The graphics look amazing. I tell you, once you work the kinks out, I'd love to try it. Those are some awesome plasma trails.
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Fluffy Rabbit ! Point taken .
Ive amended the absolute directory and removed the unecessary exe duplicate ! (and edited the op accordingly)
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
At the moment the turn and pitch is controled with right click held , the screen is split into 4 and when the cursor is in the top right 1/4 you pitch up and turn right (ect). There is a small band in the center (x and y) forming a cross in the center of screen where you get only pitch up,only pitch down,left turn or right turn .
I think i will add another set of controls so you have the choice of EU emulated or a more intuitive way . It is silly to have a badly faked emulation only which spoils the whole thing, i thought i would have got it better by now.
I might try ...
W,S = F' B' thrust
A,D = R' L' roll
mouse R' click held for freelook
mouse wheel zoom
mouse turn/pitch
mouse L' click fire
also add inertia to the turn and pitch .
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 14:36 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 14:38
After a breather from the project , It came to me how to simulate what i see in EU and with help from VanB with the maths i got my idea working . The files are updated on my site please check it out , if u get an image doesnot exist error please let me know .
Good controls make a huge diffrence ofc ! Im pleased to see it working so well.
ill uplopad the files here too..

Attachments

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Really nice! i always have loved space games and i am making one of my own but my skills arent rally up to doing 3D so im doing it 2D *bows in approval and respect*
zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats maybe what I thought 5 years ago too . If you ask me there is no "harder" way ( 3d, 2d) theyre both easy when you know how,and both extremely hard if u dont hehe. the most powerful thing that clicked with me was the logic side of making code , Im absolutly the worst at maths but where there is logic there is a way . So mow i can make fairly complex programes without much advanced maths . Most learnig comes from taking the plunge into stuff you barely understand and it took me a very long time b4 things started to click ,you read , forget about it and let your brain do the hard work,come back to it later and all of a sudden you glimpse some understanding and it snowballs. but id say now it has clicked and i could turn my hand to anything(but there will always be a better way)
what ive learned in this process is that our brains are much,much cleverer than we first ever thought and with time everything is possible . Dont stop trying with 3d if thats what you want to do.
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 19:59 Edited at: 20th Oct 2011 20:03
This looks really nice, but it crashes with "unable to load image at line 7" referencing your title screen image. You seem to be trying to load it by an absolute path ("C:\blah blah\image.jpg") instead of a relative path ("image.jpg"), so it wouldn't work unless its in a certain directory.

zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 17:36 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 17:47
Darn , thanks . I had already done that ,must have uploaded the wrong file . Here's the correct one...hopefully lol i need to clean up my HD.

Just to veryfy , where did you put the folder and the exe when you downloaded? ?
It was looking for the path /ace of space/image.png , now just image.png .

Attachments

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
I simply extracted it in my downloads folder and ran it.

Now it's crashing at line 1039, it's trying to locate the image in Ace of Space/image.png when all the media is beside the exe.

zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 09:51 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 10:12
oh jesus, this is tedious, now ive lost my main project code , the last upload shouldnt be looking for a path I dont get it. Anyway now its too late , the dbp editor saved my new project as ace of space so now i will need to rewrite the whole thing .
edit, found an older back up copy, still has the last 2 or 3 updates missing it will take me a while to get it back how it was .
In the mean time could you try copying the folder to c:\ and tell me if that will work then. thanks
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 16:12 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 16:28
:/ that sucks, at least you didn't lose everything. Try to back it up as often as possible, I'll try that now and edit this post with crit and stuff.

Okay that got it working, the controls were intuitive and easy to use, and I liked the indicator to show which direction the space-ship is rotating towards. However, I felt that the ship seems very sluggish, not moving or rotating that fast, and the cockpit "condensation" was actually fairly distracting, perhaps made that much more faded or it only appears at certain angles to the sun.

zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool ,thanks for trying it out.

The condensation is a little too buisy and opaque , granted . Its the bump mapping that makes it too glared in the direct light , i did alter it so the effect is less strong but i fear theres no getting away from it totally , if i use a less whiter shade on the bump map for the lit areas then it doesnt show up and create the effect. I did spend a long time trying out difrent shades , not sure if the result is optimised or i just figured enough was enough and the result wasnt too bad. The models ect are just place holders , i have a friend who may be making some better 3d models based on the game im trying to emulate , so the cockpit view would be re done then anyway .
thanks serial velocity

Could anyone tell me why the multiplayer isnt working , i mean it works , ive tested it across my wireless conection , but ive never found another person playing , so im assuming some firewall issue or somesuch preventing connections and detection .!?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:06:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:06:16