Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Should u pay for a game like this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 21:15
Ok, it has been months since I've stopped my big project. It started with DB, jumped to BB, jumped to few other things and at the end, my RPG just died. Now I'm bored, very very bored and thinking about a new game. Would u guys pay today for a game pretty much like the old classic Phantasmagoria? That old Sierra create by the great Roberta Willians?. I mean, should be a hard thing to edit cut scenes but I'm a kinda good director I've done many projects/movies/documentaries when I was studying jornalism at the uni + I love writing. The point is, should I waste my time today making a game with real actors? Don't think about the problems about get actors or whatever, the point is, should u pay for a game like that? The good think is, it could be easily made in VisualC++/VisualBASIC/DarkBasic/DarkBasicPro/BlitzBASIC. If I decided to make it in pure C++ could even be easily ported to consoles or other OS as Linux/Mac. ( not by me indeed...lol ). I was just wondering... Do u guys think it's a stupid idea?

Thanks
The bored Rogue...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Rage Sniper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 21:59
Maybe... We are living in the 3D world, most movie effects, games are using 3D models (very detailed)...
But if you do something good, with new ideas, etc... You can earn easy money... (But games it's not only graphics, you have to do something fun and addictive)

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 22:57
Thanks Rage Sniper. I really apreciated the comment I wanna make a game and it's good to hear something positive

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 23:54
if you want portability make it in C not C++, remember C++ is really Microsofts take on the C language with the Object Orientation classes developed for the Compiler.
Just like .Net/C# updates are thier take on Java which they couldn't purchase from Sun Corp.

As for the game, I dunno rather than starting your own perhap join one of the many people who are crying out for coders. We do need far more community interaction and alliances formed to start produceing a decent amount of new titles. I know DBpro is still very young and not gremlin free yet - however there are many DarkBasic Standard and Enhanced titles being developed that you could help with. There are a few who are stretching ourselves to the limits to try and help in anyway we can and I think someone who is bored and has the freetime definately should be here to help bolster the moral and title quality (^_^)

If nothing else try to work on your DarkBasic Skills for enhancing speed and cross-compatibily to DarkBasic Pro, perhaps some tutorials on the Object Orientation updates which now make the tool extremely simple to setup.

Converting the Old Demos which don't work to DarkBasic Pro and explaining the changes would also be a goodstep.

(^_^) many things you can do, and it would be fantastic if you could help instead of add to the current insanity of titles that won't be finished

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 00:00
It could work, who said acted games were dead? Just look at the two towers!

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 00:15
hahaa... thats the worse example in the world

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 02:23
... i never played that game... when did it come out... =\

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 14:53
Yeah I should need some few more tutorials about C to start such project, and the internet is full of C++ tutorials.
Well, I will follow your tips Vegeta. But first I will try to write the story very well as a movie script. If I can get along with that ( when I was younger, I could start up to 3 stories in a week and finish none of them ). However, I have 10 books that I wrote myself, fantasies book But indeed, never published and the books are also gone All that at the age of 15. I really became lazy
Well, still about the game/story, I will try to make it all in 2D and see what I can get. As soon as I have something I will post here. If it fails, then I will join someone team
Oh yeah, do you know any good site about C language?

Thanks once again.

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 15:10
DarthPuff do u mean Phantasmagoria? I think it was in 1995 or something like that. I really wanted to buy that game... I cannot find anywhere...snif....snif....

-- Rogue
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 18:26
Sorry for the tongue-in-cheek tone there Raven.

But the real question is would you pay for a game like this.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 20:08
I could answer my own question, but this is the way I think, but I dunno how many would agree. I do, should pay for a game like Phantasmagoria. The thing is, it's more funny to play those games with real actors... Why? Because it's like a movie. U can identify yourself, join the caracter and "share" feeling with them. If u are like me, u live in the movie, u feel, suffer, get sad, happy, breath all together with the caracters. They show up REAL feelings, crying, laughing, getting scared. Comparing for exemple the movie Toy Story / Bugs Life with The Little Marmeid / Lion King, both are extremally well done and entirily diferent. I prefer the cartoonish style instead of the 3D stuff, for the same reasons as the acted game / 3D game. So yes, something well done, well acted, simple, fast, criative would be a big deal. But I'm not sure how many peoples would think like that.
Just come back few years in time when acted games were pretty cool: Sewer Shark, Dracula Unleshead, Phantasmagoria, NightTrap. Most of them were not good, but still funny to see due the actors on it. And the quality was far poor ( SegaCD, pretty few simultanious color on screen ). In 3D there're many as well, like "D", great for PSone and SegaSaturn or Gabriel Knight for PC. But I still miss the feeling of actors with that

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 20:25
i dunno the only game like that i've ever bought was "under a killing moon" which was pretty good, but once you complete its like - oki that stays on the shelf.
I mean i never really got the point in interactive movies like that, so personally
-- No, i wouldn't buy it!
That said, i wouldn't mind buying something like Sam&Max or Day of the Tenticle. The point and click games are really what i loved to play back in the day, but with the exception of Return to Monkey Island (a full 3D adventure) there really hasn't been one in almost 5years!
I mean Grim Fandango was the one previous to that, and oddly enough all the games i've mentioned are all by LucasArts hehee

I dunno, there are alot of old games I prefer. Like Bomberman, StreetFighter2 and Tanks
I mean there have been many ports, even still in 2D but none have really lived upto the pace and just simple fun of these titles - which is a shame.

Guy Spy, if anyone ever played that - was an interactive movies, but very very fun. Because it was basically a game which followed a cartoon movie - yet had minigames to go between the cutscenes which actually fit in.
Like at the start in the alps you're following the evil "guy of mystery" or something and you both get into cable cars. You're to pick the moments he pops out to come out from cover and shoot him three bars you could hide behind and you could couch when in one of the windows.

Hit the guy 9times and you get through to the cutscene, and ping the cable car explodes (i don't remember why) and you fall into a lodge with this fat viking woman ... hehee and you have to make some kinda soup i think.

It was a really weird but cool game!

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 20:30
"They show up REAL feelings, crying, laughing, getting scared."

MGS2 - Sons Of Liberty is like that, such beautiful human drama.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 20:33
Sounds really cool, weird and original Sorry, but I have to comment about Street Fighter... U won¨'t believe me, but I still play Street Fighter till today, almost everyday, maybe it's only me the Street Fighter Freak. Another one I can't let go is Megaman...

Hmmmm, about play once and let it be on the shelves, u r right, but how about a game with multiple ends? I don't think any acted game had it? "D" had... u could either walk to meet ur father or shot him at the end ( if I remember well... ahhhh, to old PSX good times... )

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 20:34
Metal Gear rockz

-- Rogue
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 22:54
I've been writing a script for an RPG. It has 5 endings, one of which is secret. There's plenty of replay value, even since the main story's quite short.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 11:18
hey rogue there is a channel called classic-games on irc.dal.net... they specialize in pre 1997 games... they have em all.. i was looking for subculture from 1991... i had been looking for it for about 5 years... i found it the first time i went into that channel.... they have all the ultimas and so on... so tight...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 16:57
Mirthin pretty cool. It's something like that I should like to do u know, many endings or maybe some random stuff in a acted game. U know one thing I loved, but many peoples did not? That thing in Resident Evil 3/PSX. When u find Nemesis u have, for exemple, a limited time to take a decision, like fight him or run into the Police Department. Making an acted game more full of options and dynamism would be a hard task but quite funny.

DarthPuff thanks for the tip. I dunnot what's happenning with me but lately I'm playing so many old games :S Maybe it's my age comming. Last night I was playing Star Wars Rebel Assault 2.Man, what cool arcade that is. And been playing Doom enhanced for like 2 weeks...Oh yeah, about old games, u could buy somes from eBay, for exemple. I got my Phantasmagoria from there for 7 US$

-- Rogue
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 19:21
That resident evil thing sounds quite akin to some of the events I'll have too. I'm sorry but I don't quite want to spill the beans yet, but I've got plans for post-story gaming. It'll be sweet

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 22:16
yeh i love that rebel assault game... i had it for my old power pc... O_O thats when i didnt have my own comp... it was the familys... damn...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:36:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:36:29