Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / an interview

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there, I live in a country (lol) called The Netherlands. Here we have a subject called "levensbeschouwing", literaly translated it would mean something like: view at life.
The subject we're discussing now is RSI (repetitive strain injury, that's what you get when you work all day with a mouse in your hand), and what it can do to you.

What does this have to do with you? Well, I got the assignement of interviewing someone that works with computers alot and knows what he's talking about. What I thought is that maybe some of you work at some IT-business that has the hazzard of coming into contact with this disorder. This information goes straight to my teacher and nowhere else (offcourse I can't guarantee what my teacher's going to do with it... sorry). Please think about it while reading the questions and reply as a new post... it would help me alot thanks.

1. What's your full name, occupation and location
2. How often do you work with computers?
3. Have you ever been in contact with RSI?
4. What do you think are the biggest risks on working with computers?
5. How can these risks be reduced in some way?
6. In your country, are there any rules/regulations about the subject?
7. As a continuation on question 6, do you think these rules help?
8. How do you think about the subject, is it real to you?
9. Does your boss provide a good workplace for you and for your colleagues?
10. As a continuation on question 9, are these precautions by the book?
11. Do you know people that are affected by this disorder? And if so, do they still work?
12. Finally, will they ever be able to do the work they did before?

Please fill this in very seriously!
Thank you very much, this interview is a "handelingsdeel", that means that if I get a flunk for this, I can't pass to fifth grade...

Jurgen

"Only when all the seas are poisened, only when all the trees have been cut only when all the animals are killed, people will understand that money can't be eaten..."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 14:40
1. What's your full name, occupation and location
Andrew Vanbeck. Database Developer. Fife, Scotland
2. How often do you work with computers?
About 60 hours per week.
3. Have you ever been in contact with RSI?
Yes.
4. What do you think are the biggest risks on working with computers?
RSI. Circulation. Eye problems. Often, you sit in the same position for so long that you get numb and don't even realise - I've actually dislocated my ankle without realising and tried to stand up.
5. How can these risks be reduced in some way?
Spend, or get your company to spend money on a decent chair and desk. Take a little walk every hour, even if it's just to the fridge and back.
6. In your country, are there any rules/regulations about the subject?
Guidelines mainly, I don't think there are actual laws, perhaps there is official health and safety regulations for them, which is not really a law, more a reputation descredit if your in breach.
7. As a continuation on question 6, do you think these rules help?
If you can find them, some companies like Compaq are very informative about RSI risks and supply booklets with PC's, but it can be expensive to impliment RSI prevention measures. Of course things like wrist pads are really cheap and beneficial.
8. How do you think about the subject, is it real to you?
I spearheaded a campain to isolate health risks with individual users of PC's at work, basically a questionaire asking if they suffered from RSI symptoms, asked if they were happy with their desk and chair, if the get headaches at work, if they have back problems, and also office lighting and temperature. I'm always looking for risks, much to the IT managers distaste I've replaced about 15 users 14" monitors with 17" ones.
9. Does your boss provide a good workplace for you and for your colleagues?
Yes, our managing director is always concearned with the well-being of employees, he was very supportive with my little campaign.
10. As a continuation on question 9, are these precautions by the book?
As much as possible, every workplace is different, space is always a factor so it's not always convenient for people to have big chairs or desks, but I did research the guidelines and make a guide for recommended safe use of PC's which was distributed with the questionaire.
11. Do you know people that are affected by this disorder? And if so, do they still work?
Nobody that has suffered badly enough to stop working.
12. Finally, will they ever be able to do the work they did before?
As above.

Jurgen
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you VERY much I'm glad someone took this serious!
I was affraid that people would think this was a joke?!

I'm going to print it out, thanks again...

"Only when all the seas are poisened, only when all the trees have been cut only when all the animals are killed, people will understand that money can't be eaten..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:36:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:36:32