Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Make double-sided faces in blender?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all!
How do I make my faces so that way they show both ways in blender?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 14:43
Hi

In Blender, or in the DBPRO? In DBPRO objects are displayed without back faces when [Set Object Cull] is set to 1; by default. Setting it two 0 will force the engine to draw both sides; which drops performance at high levels of polygon count.

You can also flip the direction of certain face normals using the Flip Normals button (CTRL F, then 1) in the edit mode toolbar in Blender. The Re-calculate Normals (CTRL N) button, often works well for when you fill holes (F) or attach new faces to meshes.

You can see what way normals are facing in edit mode by showing the transform panel (CTRL N), Mesh Display > Normals > Faces.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Maybe I should just turn off backface culling then in my DBPro programs.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:40
I turn backface culling off for certain walls; where the player will never be able to tell how thick the wall is. I can get a double sided wall out of one quad. The downside is that you have to use the same texture; according to my knowledge; but lighting effects and shaders can alter the look based on what direction the normal is facing.

For most objects I leave culling on, to improve frame-rate; although I tend to get the impression that it is the number of objects, rather than the number of polygons or limbs on the screen at once that causes the most major slow down in most situations; so far.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 03:08:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 03:08:57