Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Strict mode? Entity shader issues.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 16:20
Howdy,

I have recently messed around with my setup.ini.......! oops.

Since then, whenever i try to add shaders to any of my items, i get an message saying there has been an error with my effect. It also says that it is in strict mode. My understanding of this is, it doesn't allow for any incorrect variables and if anything is wrong, it will tell you.

If anyone has any ideas as to what i could do, i would be very grateful.

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 16:29
How about just reverting back to the old setup.ini? (assuming you made a backup.)

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 16:42
If only that was the case Budo! I was stupid! Made a school boy error and didn't back it up! Oops. I tried to change it back to how I thought it was, but, to no avail. The rest of the game works fine, I only get this when trying to apply shaders to items.

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 16:49
Here's the original file contents:

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 17:14
Thanks Budo!

I will change mine is a second and post back with the feedback in an hour or so; just taking my daughter swimming.

Unfamillia

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 19:55
I have just changed my setup.ini to what you posted, and i am still getting the error.

I think it's something that i am doing wrong.

All i am doing is trying to get the 'itemflash.fx' shader to work on the 'small_health_2' from the stock scifi pack.

I want to achieve a glowing effect to catch the players eye.

Any ideas?

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 20:22
Quote: "All i am doing is trying to get the 'itemflash.fx' shader to work on the 'small_health_2' from the stock scifi pack.

I want to achieve a glowing effect to catch the players eye.

Any ideas?"

Does it only crash when you have that as the shader, or can you change the shader and it will still crash?

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 22:07
It's any shader on any item....

Am I perhaps missing some textures? Although the error doesn't state that?! This one has me perplexed.

Do you know of any other way to achieve a glow effect around an item or entity?

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 22:22
There's always the entityglow.fpi script (or something similar to that). You could also place a small light on the object, or maybe make the specular map all white (or all black, whichever one it is, it isn't really a glow, but makes the object very bright).

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 22:51
I will try the entityglow.fpi. I just really liked the effect from Bond1's Resident Evil 'shimmer' shader! really good

Ah well. I guess i will have to teach myself how to make shaders next!

Thanks for your help Budo.

Unfamillia

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 00:51
As far as I know Bond1's shaders are PS3 and PS2 shaders which do not work in x10.

x10s shader system is a customization of PS4 shaders. The only way to make a functional shader for x10 is to rewrite them from scratch using the x10 syntax.

I have one example of this that a CS grad student did for me. He will be creating at least 3 more shaders for me in the next month and I will of course post them here when they are done.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 00:56
I've attached a functional shader for x10. It is a bump map shader that takes a diffuse _D and a normal map _N texture. Place this shader in effectbank\common

To use it, you must declare the shader in the FPE file. If you try to declare it in the editor, you will get the same kind of error you posted at the top of the thread.

However, this shader works quite well in x10 if you follow the steps above.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 02:00 Edited at: 17th Oct 2011 02:10
@srealist

Thanks man! I will give that shader a blast tomorrow! I am off to the land of nod right now! Work tomorrow!

Unfamillia

EDIT - I had to try it out obviously! I couldn't go to sleep without trying it. WOW! That students a genius! The end result is fantastic! That has made a huge impression on my game!

Thank you again man! Please give my thanks to your student as well! WOW! Just WOW!

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 02:52
Great! I will let him know!

Yeah, I use it on almost everything these days. Can't wait for him to get around to the other shaders.

This is what I have asked from him:
"I need a shader for dynamic entities that will take at least color, normal, and spec, and illumination maps. I need a shader that allows for animated textures (this would also need to be for dynamic entities I would think). I also need a particle effects shader that either uses a tiled texture or a 3D texture (the implementation is not so important; just important that I know how to use it and create proper texture maps)."
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 17:49
Very impressive shader. Looking forward to seeing more from him! Especially the animated texture one.

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:53:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:53:44