Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 Potential Buyer Questions for the Community

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 00:03
Hello X10 Users,

I am looking into the idea of purchasing X10, but I have some questions before I commit the money:

General

1) Where do I find updates for X10 after purchasing (aside from Mystic Mod)?

2) Does X10 have all the media that X9 has (including WW2)? I know it has media that X9 doesn't have, I am just wondering if it has everything X9 has too.

3) Aside from spectacular graphics, what are the differences between X10 and X9 V1.18?

4) Does TGC no longer offer technical support for X10, even though they still produce model packs that are X10 compatible?

5) As X10 users, do you believe it is worth the $70?

6) In one of the screenshots on the X10 homepage, it shows a laser flying towards the player. How hard is it to achieve such an effect?

7) Can those that are interested post some of their own screen shots of X10 content?

Graphics Card

1) I am currently running DX9.0c for FPSC X9 on Vista, do I need to redownload and install X10? If so, where do I find the X10 download? Does it come with FPSC X10 installer?

2) I am not sure what kind of graphics card I am using, and do not know where to find out what I am running. How do I find out what graphics card I'm running?

3) Is it possible to use X10 but switch over to X9 at any time w/o reinstalling anything? For example, could I test a game in X10 and then test a game in X9 immediately afterward?

Media Creation

1) Is there a difference between creating models for X9 and X10?

2) How many different shader/texture maps must be created when creating a new model?

3) What kind of sound formats does X10 recognize?

4) I REALLY want to use Model Pack 53 in X10 if I buy it, but I know that it is not compatible with X10. Srealist said in another thread that this is because MP 53 uses PS3 shaders of some sort, while X10 uses a form of PS4 shaders. Is anyone aware of what the potential effects of changing the default PS3 shader setting to a PS4 shader would be? Can this even be accomplished?

5) How does a typical X10 .FPE, .FPI, .FPS, and gunspec files differ from X9?

6) Are alternate firing modes possible in X10?

7) How hard is it to change the shotdamage decal/firespot decal in X10?

Commercial Questions

1) Does X10 follow TGC's general policy of allowing all commercial games to be sold royalty-free?

2) Compared to a really good X9 game, is a really good X10 game more likely to sell?

3) Compared to other professional games on the market, do really good X10 games have any chance of selling for even a small price (ie: $7 for a really good game)?

Source Code

1) Is the X10 modders kit the X10 source code?

2) What language is X10 written in?

Bugs

1) What kind of bugs does X10 have?

I know I am probably being very pesky asking more than 20 questions, but I have other interests and needs competing for cash, and when I finalize what all my costs are for everything at the end of the day, I would like to know whether or not X10 should be in the budget. It looks great, but I want to make sure I don't regret buying it.

Thank you very much,
Captain Coder

One of the most humbling days in your life will be the day you discover you AREN'T the best at what you love to do.
- Me
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 00:42
1. You can update directly through the map editor. help >> check for updates >> update.

2. Yes, it has all the regular X9 media.

3. I haven't looked at X9 in a long time, I don't know the differences.

4. They no longer work on the source code, but I think they may still offer tech support (though you can get most problems solved with a little help from the community).

5. I think it was worth purchasing.

6. That should work, with whatever gun the enemy was using, but don't really know, I've never noticed that or tried to achieve it.

7. There are plenty of screenshots floating around, you can find some of the X10 community game here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/x10commgame/discussion/ideas/thread/00f5d1ad/

1. It does come with DX10, but you'll have to update to 10.1, which can be found somewhere by googling it.

2. Open command prompt and type "dxdiag" (w/o quotes) and it should come up. alternatively, you could go into device manager and expand the "display adapters" section and find it there.

3. I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean can you open X10 or X9 maps with the other program? If so, then no.

1. No, the .fpe and .fpi files may differ slightly though, but still should be just as easy.

2. That depends on the shader that you are using.

3. Same as X9, .wav, .mp3, .ogg (I may be forgetting some).

4. PS3 and PS4 are totally different, there's no setting that you can change, you'd have to completely re-write the shader.

5. They should be about the same.

6. With Mystic-Mod, yes.

7. Should be the same as X9.

1. Yes, unless you sell $50,000 or more (or some amount like that)

2. That really depends on the quality of the game itself. The amount of effort that you put in, is what you'll get back.

3. If people are willing to buy it.

1. It contains the source code, yes.

2. DBP X10

3. Sometimes the dragons forget to breathe fire.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
hi well tgc stopped all support for x10, but when you install x10 you update to 1.11, plus a blood pack.

mystic mod carries on from where tgc left off, and with great success might i add.

differences are better use of cpu and gpu, also instancing is the biggest x10 joy. we have the ability to copy the same model without ever having to worry about performance, you see x9 seems to be mainly about sparingly placed models etc. we have no worries on that one.

model packs if you know what you are doing you can convert all x9 to x10 but this requires on some of them time and messing about to get it right,

main complex was zombie apoc and mutant pack, but i got them working now.

just everything in the packs is workable

main thing is changing to dds format ( textures)
and make sure the fx are x10 not x9, so a lot of paste and copy needed on the entity fpe files.

x10 will not run on x9 drivers, vista can work it, but you need to down load

direct x10.1 sdk from microsoft website.

a very handy toolkit like model viewers and many extras.

i have x9 x10.1 and x11 on at the same time. anyway all versions work x9 games, x10 games and x11 games so i suggest load em up.

all fpsc models are x format and work for x9 and x10 only change will be the scripts, fpe files and the textures.

x10 knows ogg and wav. and the best to use is ogg as wav is total all soundwaves even un detectable ones to us, ogg cuts out the frequencies that we cant hear and thus the same quality but a smaller memory size.

as to texture maps, if you want 1 or 2 or 3 or 4

main one is _D ( diffuse ) in dds format.
but you can have _D2 as well
then a normal map
then a specular map

they will not work properly till you use an fx ( you apply in your fpe file. then the spec diff and norm map will work in unison making for light reflection and shadowing and bumps etc. looks awesome might i add

fpe pfi and the rest are very similar just the odd commands are useless and so erase and change to x10

and x9 ps3 ps4 etc, dont worry use paint net and gimp

all you need is a spec a norm and a diffuse and add the fx already on x10, no need to worry if you know what you are doing.

as to messing with decals and shots and damage etc. as easy as you know how to do an fpe file otherwise hold off messing till you learn how things work.

as to royalty free its up to so much cash made that is royalty free, same as on x9 basically, so i guess read up on that

x9- x10 depends on how good the game is, i still play atari st games above latest games, its up to you buddy, all i can say is

x9 as more int commands and a few extras like particle maker etc.

but x10 as a faster engine with instancing, and newer shaders.

but if you buy x10 you get x9 free anyway so you get it all in that sense. so dont worry on that.

in the end up to you

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
budo you beat me to it

Attachments

Login to view attachments
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
another x10

Attachments

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
and another and yes you can dive in the water and swim etc

Attachments

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
and with shaders on

Attachments

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 01:08
That third screen is beautiful, science boy.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
showing light reflecting last one i shall let the others put some up

Attachments

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
@ budo cheers mate.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 01:20
Wow, science boy...just wow!

BTW, on the topic of model packs and x10, I'm in the process of consolidating all of my custom media from the mini games I have been producing. All media will be released to the community for unrestricted use.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
@ srealist thanks

well this is the first chance to catch up in months as my work load as been silly, on holiday for a week and guess what college work and 2 day courses as well.

so to all sorry for my radio silence, but i can be available for a while well a few days anyway, i was in the process of doing a steam punk hud cover but after seeing squalkers awesome work i am back to the drawing board, but i have attempted to adapt conker to steam punker. wip though.

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 03:36
WOW! Thanks guys!

I was wondering how people got the health bars to appear above enemies! Is there a way to turn that off?

Quote: "I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean can you open X10 or X9 maps with the other program?"

I mean to ask if I can only have one DirectX card at a time on my computer. But I think science boy answered that, thanks SB!

Quote: "i have x9 x10.1 and x11 on at the same time. anyway all versions work x9 games, x10 games and x11 games so i suggest load em up."

MP3 was supported by X9? I'll look it up; never heard of it before.

Quote: "PS3 and PS4 are totally different, there's no setting that you can change, you'd have to completely re-write the shader."

I was actually thinking that I would change the setting in the FPE, but I wasn't sure if X10 would like that, especially if it was missing some shader maps. But I didn't convey that clearly, did I?

Quote: "That really depends on the quality of the game itself. The amount of effort that you put in, is what you'll get back."

So true.

Never heard of DBP X10! Does the standard DBP compilier compile that code?

Quote: "x10 knows ogg and wav. and the best to use is ogg as wav is total all soundwaves even un detectable ones to us, ogg cuts out the frequencies that we cant hear and thus the same quality but a smaller memory size."

Did not know that! Thanks for telling me, I'll remember that!

Quote: "as to texture maps, if you want 1 or 2 or 3 or 4

main one is _D ( diffuse ) in dds format.
but you can have _D2 as well
then a normal map
then a specular map

they will not work properly till you use an fx ( you apply in your fpe file. then the spec diff and norm map will work in unison making for light reflection and shadowing and bumps etc. looks awesome might i add
"

Wow... I am not sure how a I would have a single shader make use of all those maps at once, but I guess I'll figure all that stuff out after I buy it and have a look at the FPE's myself.

Quote: "fpe pfi and the rest are very similar just the odd commands are useless and so erase and change to x10"

Hooray!

Quote: "and x9 ps3 ps4 etc, dont worry use paint net and gimp

all you need is a spec a norm and a diffuse and add the fx already on x10, no need to worry if you know what you are doing."

Sounds right, but my main question is if this will work with MP53. Actually, I guess if I really wanted to I could assign them entirely different shaders and create the appropriate maps. That might work!

Quote: "as to messing with decals and shots and damage etc. as easy as you know how to do an fpe file otherwise hold off messing till you learn how things work."

Alright, sounds good!

Quote: "as to royalty free its up to so much cash made that is royalty free, same as on x9 basically, so i guess read up on that"

Hmm... I don't remember reading that in the FAQ or the User Agreement. But I guess it's pretty typical in the industry.

Quote: "x9- x10 depends on how good the game is, i still play atari st games above latest games, its up to you buddy, all i can say is

x9 as more int commands and a few extras like particle maker etc.

but x10 as a faster engine with instancing, and newer shaders.

but if you buy x10 you get x9 free anyway so you get it all in that sense. so dont worry on that.

in the end up to you"

Cool, thanks for your opinion! What exactly is instancing? I pretty new to the whole Indie game development industry and am finding a whole lot of new terms thrown at me. But I'm learning

Thank you EVERYONE!

I have posted a question in the X10 Official System Requirements board asking about the driver I have, if it will run X10.

If that's good, I might go with getting X10! We'll find out.

Thanks guys!
Captain Coder

One of the most humbling days in your life will be the day you discover you AREN'T the best at what you love to do.
- Me
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 04:05
Quote: "Does the standard DBP compilier compile that code?"

No.

Norion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 12:03
Quote: "What exactly is instancing?"

That means that you can have as many characters as you want. here you can see it in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NhUhHtnQB4

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 00:20
Whoa, thanks for the video!

Unfortunately, it appears that X10 won't run very well on my computer - thanks to my Intel 4 Series graphics card!

Well, guess I better start saving.

One thing's for sure - I want X10!

Thanks for the help guys!
Captain Coder

- Me
Norion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 00:55 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 00:57
My computer can't run it either. It can barely run X9 . I've been saving money for 5 months now. And I still need to wait 4 months. What a PAIN

Cheers.

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 18:57 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 19:09
Oh well, it's good to know I'm not alone

Could you recommend a graphics card for me to buy? I checked out some of the NVIDEA card that X10 supports and ouch! They're a ton o' money. Which I won't have for a long time

I'm looking into ATI cards, but I'm wondering if I'm looking at the wrong items; it looks too good to be true: http://shop.amd.com/US/_layouts/shop/shop-amd.aspx?collection=shop-us-en&namedquery=radeon4000&filter=&advanced=true&sortby=&filter=category%3aGraphic+Card

Am I looking at the right pages? Cards for under $50 seems pretty good compared to NVIDEA.

Thanks!
Captain Coder

EDIT

Scrap that, I need a card for a laptop, not a desktop. Anyone know where I can find a card for a laptop? I'm still looking...

- Me
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 23:54
Quote: "Scrap that, I need a card for a laptop, not a desktop. Anyone know where I can find a card for a laptop? I'm still looking..."

You can't upgrade a laptop card, especially since yours is a chipset.

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 20:34
Quote: "You can't upgrade a laptop card, especially since yours is a chipset."

WHAT!!!

Well shoot! Guess that goes to show how much I know about computers

I guess I either buy a desktop, graphics card, and X10 or stick to X9.

Well, thank anyway everyone.

Captain Coder

- Me
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 19:15
Hello everyone!

It's me again, dreaming once more about owning and running X10. I was reading in another thread about what would be a good computer to run FPSC X9, and Errant AI said he should expect to pay +$1000 for a computer that is suitable for running FPSC. I got mine on sale for $250 as I recall, and it has somewhat lower specs than what TGC prescribes and it still runs fine. This got me thinking, do I really need that much of a high-end computer to run X10?

Would be kinda nice if I could purchase X10 and use it!

So, let me ask a new question: what is different about X10 from X9 that requires a good computer? I'll be posting in the X10 official requirements thread this idea, I just wanted to get everyone else's ideas as well.

Thanks again,
Captain Coder

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I am trying to use my passion for game creation for His glory.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 22:57
Quote: "do I really need that much of a high-end computer to run X10?"

x10 runs silky-smooth compared to x9. My PC has a 9800GT 1GB and a dual core @ 2.6gHz, and can run x10 at 400+ FPS with no performance drops practically ever. x9, on the other hand... while it's capped at 60 fps and runs at that most of the time, it still drops in FPS when more than a few enemies are in the area, or there's a lot going on.

Cheesehead for life.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 23:19
My PC specs are:

Nvidia GTX460 1GB
8GB DDR3
AMD x4 @3.1GHz (Liquid Cooled)

Mine runs X10 at 300FPS+ It laughs at X9! haha.

You don't need top, top end specs, but, it helps. My rig would cost anout £500 now to buy brand new! You could probably get something similar on eBay for less!

I would recommend these as its where i got mine from. I got free liquid cooling and they built it for me (kind of took the fun away, but, still, it was working straight out of the box!

Unfamillia

[url=www.touchoffear.webs.com][/url]
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:01 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 22:08
+300 FPS!!!

Good grief! Well, all that is comforting, thank you for the information.

So, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6500 @2.10 GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1 GHz
Memory: 4.00 GB RAM
Graphics Card: Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Approx. Total Memory: 1.8 GB)

I think the main question now is if my graphics card chipset will be able to handle X10. I am wrestling with this question over in the official X10 requirements thread. I was originally told (as you may remember) that it lacked the capability to run FPSC X10.

Well, I am now reading that if your card can run DX11, simply download DX10.1 and you're all set. My graphics card is already running X11. So, the question now is, since I am already running X11, will it run FPSC X10?

Does anyone have any comments on my specs? On my graphics card question?

Thank you!
Captain Coder

EDIT:

Thought I'd mention what The Next said about my card:

Quote: "The Intel 4 Series simply lacks the DirectX 10.1 power that is required to run FPS Creator X10 well. It will run but it will be very slow and a lot of the time unplayable. They lack a large amount of dedicated graphics memory which is required for DirectX 10.1 games."

Funny how it supposedly lacks the power to run DX10.1, but came with X11 pre-installed.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I am trying to use my passion for game creation for His glory.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:12
Yes, you need only install dx10.1. But do not uninstall dx11.

Oh and not to brag or anything but I've seen over 400FPS.
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:19
+400 FPS !!!! [dizzy]

Thanks srealist! I'll wait and see what The Next has to say before I make a final decision.

Thank you all!
Captain Coder

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:34
Quote: "Funny how it supposedly lacks the power to run DX10.1, but came with X11 pre-installed."

it doesn't matter what you have installed. DirectX support needs to be in hardware. Installing directX11 won't make a directX10 card a directX11 card, the card will still be directx10.

You graphics chipset is direcX10 cappable

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 23:37
Okay, I think it's time I accept defeat and admit X10 probably won't run on my laptop. Moving right along...

Well, I've done some shopping around, and NVIDIA pulled up a list of GT 240 cards for around $50 (USD). What computer should I buy for it (since I can't change a laptop card)? I've done some reading up and it appears that only certain cards will fit on certain computers. Maybe that is true, maybe not.

I'm not looking for any super-gaming rigs - just something fast (dual core) to allow me to get work done, something that will allow me to get use a GT 240 card, something cheap so I still have money left to buy X10, and something that will let me use X10 well.

Sorry to bug you guys with such a ridiculous question - when it comes to buying computers I don't know much. Google doesn't turn up much of what I need anymore whenever I use it. If someone could just point me to a good website that sells computers that I might be looking for, I will try to work on my own from there. In the mean time, I'll keep trying to do my own research. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Captain Coder

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 00:12
If you don't know much about how computers work, then buying a graphics card or customising a computer is probably a bad idea and you are better off buying a computer that is already built. It's hard to give recommendations on what pc you should buy, because we don't know your price range, or whether you want a desktop or laptop (or even plan to buy a new pc at all).

reauirentem
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 13:41
Quote: "you are better off buying a computer that is already built"

Sure - I don't know that much about computer hardware, (I'm more of a software guy) so trying to build a computer, for me, would be an absolute nightmare.

Quote: "It's hard to give recommendations on what pc you should buy, because we don't know your price range, or whether you want a desktop or laptop (or even plan to buy a new pc at all)."

That kind of was the idea... keep it general so that I have plenty of options. The only thing I did not intend was the price range.

Very well, then. I'll keep doing my own investigations - I have some idea of what I should look for, so I'll try that for right now.

Thank you,
Captain Coder

SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 07:14
@Captain Coder, here is something I ordered for my laptop a few weeks ago.
www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

My laptop has an onboard Intel GMA. which is supposed to Intels revolutionery onbkard gfx chipset, but in all fact totally sucks. Now Im running an external Nvidia 550.

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 17:49
Very interesting, Landman, but I've heard external graphics cards are even slower than a cheesy one already have on your computer. How fast does it work on your computer?

Anyway, I'll probably not buy X10. My family just bought a new laptop which has an Intel HD Graphics Card (runs X9 at twice the speed of my other rig) but we bought it so that I could keep the older one to my self and let everyone else share the new one. So I probably won't buy X10.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Captain Coder

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:00:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:00:40