Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / illusion of travelling forward

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I want to give the illusion to the user of travelling forward in the game.

However, I want to do it as though it were space where the entire screen moves when moving forward.

I understand i may not have described this in the best way. Perhaps the explanation beneath will help.

I have a spaceship with the camera behind it. I need the spaceship to travel forward all the time sort of like in galaga but in 3d.

Originally i thought of using matrices and shifting them continuously by using 4 matrices. one for the floor, one for the left, right and top. Imagine that a person is in a room and moves forward, the camera will basically see the top, left, right, and bottom moving forward and the back of the room getting closer.

I want to provide this same illusion but in space and independent of user choice. Always constantly moving forward.

What is a good solution for this?

thanks
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 01:34
I don't know the answer but there are a couple of starfield tutorials in the Tutorials section of this site

-RUST-
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
why not just move the ship??

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 12:15
Sorround your spaceship with textured planes and scroll the texture..
link the scrolling speed to the ship speed..
don t put a single flat perpendicular plane at the front but 2 yaxis tilted plains (like the tip of an arrow)
That way the scrolling can be effectively done also on the direction you are aiming at.
If you are turning the ship , the whole sorrounding block will have to turn accordingly of course. but this is up to you.
cheers
koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 23:24
i have exactly the same thing well i have this intro movie out in space where this ship is headed towards this planet and i have asteroids floating towards the ship but.i have the camera following the ship in like 3 different views while the asteroids are moving towards the moving ship to make it look more like its moving and have the space texture scrolling on the sphere

KOOLAID
_GTP
Years of Service
User Offline
How do i make textures to scroll on a plane?

I've also seen the starfield tutorials on the site but the problem is that i cannot seem to load my .x files successfully so i thought the scrolling texture would be a better idea.

thanks
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:40
SCROLL OBJECT TEXTURE objectnumber,Uvalue#,Vvalue#
start with low values like 0.1 and test

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:43:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:43:05