Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / .... HELP!!! .... Windows XP Installation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 05:28
Hi
Incase your wondering why I haven't been around much the past few days.... my comp pretty much died last weekend. Anyway, I am now trying to install Win98 and WinXP as a duel boot system. It's all good until I try to install WinXP. When it restarts and boots into the DOS portion of the install, it runs fine until it scans the HD's. It then gives the following error: "Setup has determined that hard disk c: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue"

Heres my setup:

I have a 20GB Fujitsu HD as primary master, with a 40GB Western Digital as the slave (I know, I didn't want to use a slave either, but I had no choice, so don't yell at me for slaving it.)

Windows 98 resides on the C: drive, and WinXP is supposed to go on the D: drive.

I have partitioned and formatted drive C: as a FAT32 partition that fills the drive, and the 40GB D: Drive has been partitioned and formated as NTFS, again, the partition fills the hard-drive.

This is really pissing my off, as I've tried for days, getting the same error everytime. I have formatted and partitioned over and over... I have tried Disk Image, Scandisk, FDISK, Partition Magic, and the FDISK /MBR... I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?
Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 10:02
It may be somming to do with the FAT32/NTFS stuff???

or maybe you may have to put XP on the C: and then install 98 on the D:

Persoanaly i would install XP only, use a totally XP system and then install 98 if i needed it for some software.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 11:39
You haven't got a custom boot loader in the boot partition on C:, have you ? Or even a virus ?

Good news everybody! I really am THAT good...
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 12:36
Hmmmmmmmm. Let me see. U did the Partion C:\ as FAT32 and the D:\ as NTFS? I hope u know that, when u boot with win98 u won't be able to read the D:\ cuz Win98 does not read NTFS. When u boot with winXP then u will be able to read both FAT32 and NTFS.
I should personally stick only with win XP and FAT32. FAT32 because trust me, one day, for some reason, u will install other OS's, as Linux or some other may appears, and they won't read NTFS. NTFS are good for 2 reasons, they are faster with Huge hardrivers ( no Gigas, TeraBytes, so I believe u have gigas u wont need it ) and the most viruses out there attacks FAT32 partitions.

Maybe the error u are getting is because the dos u booting is not recognizing the D:\ with NTFS??? My did not, it just said "Unkown File Partition". Try it bub, WinXP only and Fat32.

Oh yeah, another thing. Magic Partion 5.0 has a bug with winXP. If u make two partitions, let's say C:\ and D:\ both FAT32. U then install win XP in the C:\ and later, u go into dos and format the C:\ with win XP. For some weird reasons, my hard drive became unreadable. The error was that the partions were corrupted/over writing each other. I then runned Magic Partition again, deleted both partitions, making only one, formated. Then I made once again two partitons and it worked. Today, when I need to format any partitions, I use Magic Partition to do so. I never got problems ever after...

Well, good lucky bub

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 15:30
Linux READS NTFS!!!

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 15:38
It does? That's something new for me Someone told me it did not so I've formated all the HD Anyway, it was nothing imporant in there

-- Rogue
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 15:43
Mandrake and Red Hat do and i thin SuSe does as well, you just have to tell it that the Partition/HD is NTFS.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 16:27
Yes, you can read from NTFS, but you can't write to it, unless you want your hard drive to be trashed.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 17:23
Sounds dangerous...gheheh

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 20:12
for XP to work with Win98 you need to use the WinXP Setup Disk's - you'll need 3 Blank disks and then run
cdrom:\i386\WinNT.exe

it'll put you through the setup by setup guide, becuase what you need to do is setup XP like WinNT rather than upgrading 98

Make sure you have a newly partitioned unformatted harddisk/partition. Now use C:\ as your Win98 drive and partition it in FAT32 ... and then install 98

once this is done and you've installed all the drivers so that it is in a useable state, insert the first disk and reboot the machine.
WinXP will now run through an NT like installation - it'll copy across all the basic setup files to the C:\ so make sure you have atleast 500mb free.
Then it'll ask you where you want to install XP, choose the un formatted hdd/partition and then choose what format you wish it to be FAT32/FAT64/NTFS
it'll piss about for about a while formating it, which for a FAT32 system will take around 1hr30min on a 40Gbyte.

Once the formatting is complete it'll copy across the temp files to that directory (yes very slow and wasteful way of doing this but nessary) and then ask you to reboot to continue the installation in a 32/64bit environment.

When you reboot you'll be given a familar option menu of Windows XP (Normal)
Windown 9x/Me
Windows XP (Safe Mode)

just leave the menu to boot up and you can change it later once in XP... it'll run through the installation pretty much if it was on a clean/complete install.

And only about 2/3hrs later you have both working

Installing WinNT/2000 as well oftenly is the tricky part hehee

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 22:41
hmm... thanks Raven Vegeta, I'll try that.

For the rest of yas:
I know Win98 can't read NTFS, and I don't care. Win98 is only for OLD games that don't run on XP.

And BTW- I have no intention of installing Linux...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 01:06
Good for you - it cant really be trust for the important things like games yet...

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 02:55
hmm... got it working... I put two partitions on C:, one for 98, and one for XP. The XP drive is NTFS, and the rest are Fat32. And it worked... wonder why.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 21:34
dunno... XP is fussy i guess, had the same problem with NT4 once

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 05:38
make a small swap file a nice partition for linux and get yourself evilentity (undead linux) or knopix... i like knopix... you dont need to install it...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:19:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:19:19