Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Help with texture for Pistol.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 15:17
Hi,

I am NOT asking someone to do this for me, I am merely asking for someone to shout instructions at me! I have watched countless tutorials, and to be honest.....either, the person giving the tutorial is stupid, or I am just plain DUMB! But, i can't follow them to save my life!

Plus, i can't find ANY decent tutorials for texturing a pistol! (apart from the ones done by 13 yr kids!!)

I have attached a picture and a '.x' mesh of the model I have created. (Be kind, it is my first ever model)

If anyone could be kind enough to have a look at it and tell me if i have done anything wrong?!

ANY help or guidance on this matter is HUGELY appreciated.

In return............I will do your chores for a week.

Unfamillia

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bestorio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 17:08 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 17:10
Well, first you should make the textures. (buy/download)
then open this in a 3D program.
and assign your textures to the correct locations.

If you have the textures, i'd be glad to help you assign them to your gun.

EDIT: also, i think that the hand grip looks kind of strange.
You should make the down part smaller.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 19:41 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 19:42
@Bestorio

Thanks for the reply man.

I don't think i will struggle with the actual textures themselves.....I am struggling with unwrapping the model to actually give each section the correct texture.

I don't know how to assign textures. I am using Gimp and Blender. I know that i have to mark seams across my model and that i need to allocate certain textures to certain areas, it's just..............i can't!

The base of the handle is a bit abstract, not what I planned, but, i kinda like it now!

I was going for a futuristic version of a sports target pistol grip. As they always look more brutal than a normal thin grip!

Thanks for the comment.

Unfamillia

EDIT - This wasn't my reference picture! I did this from the power of my mind!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 00:12
I dont understand what you are asking help for?

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 00:32
Firstly, I think I have posted this in the wrong place. I was sure I had started this in 'models and media'.

Anyway, that aside. I am asking people that use blender, for any hints or ideas as to how to texture my scifi pistol, so that it looks professional..........as possible!

I dont want it to look like a blurry mess, like my daughter has drawn it!

Just hints, tips, experience, words of wisdom, links to DECENT tuts, or a kind person to help me with and it explain how to do it. This is all I ask.

Unfamillia

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 01:01 Edited at: 31st Oct 2011 01:04
I wouldnt ask the blender people: i would as anyone that makes textures. since you are working on a gun texture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcpKPuBeKE8
that tutorial seriess is very great imo

might also say that i cant help you with the uvmapping part

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 19:05
The Models and Media section needs an in-game screenshot in your initial post; you did not have one, so I moved it here. You may get more assistance here.

-Keith

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 01:18
@Keith

Thanks for moving it. I thought i had put it in the wrong section!

@everyone else

I am at my wits end and have now realised that i CANNOT texture this damn thing! When ever i try to do it, i fail - badly! Would anybody please be able to find it in their heart to help me texture my pistol.

Unfamillia

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 05:38
Quote: "i fail - badly! Would anybody please be able to find it in their heart to help me texture my pistol. "

here is the deal: if you dont learn, then each time you make a new model someone else has to do it. Wouldnt that be a pain? When i first started out, my stuff was worthless, and i mean WORTHLESS, but you learn with time: It takes time and practice, lots of practice. If you practice, look up tutorials etc then I am sure you will become better

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 05:42
Quote: "It takes time and practice, lots of practice."

This is exactly what I got to say too But if you give it a shot atleast and get stuck Ill be MORE THAN HAPPY to help

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 09:22
@Quik & Anayar,

Thanks guys. I know you are both right! I know you are. I was frustrated last night after trying so many times. But, I know I cant expect to be amazing after trying to model for a few days!

I apologise for my period of weakness. I wrote that late last night in a fit of anger. I know I can texture it, it just doesnt look good enough when I am doing it.

Anyway, I will crack on with it and post my results tonight. Then you can see what I mean.

Again, I apologise for my period of weakness. ........lets never speak of this again.

Unfamillia

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 18:01
My recommendation: when starting out texturing, dont set your standards too high, just make a descent texture, doesnt have to be next gen - instead take inspiration from older games and you will make progress

My first textures were just a cloud filter + noise filer pretty much

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 01:16
The first step to a good texture is setting up a good UV layout. If you post your layout sheet, people can probably give you more specific help.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445 would post more but i'm on a phone atm.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 10:43
@anyone that is watching this thread

I have tried and tried again, but, i have failed.

Does anyone model in Blender? I have got my model, i have my reference image. I take them both in to Blender, i select edit mode, face selection, select all, Project from view, then on the reference image, i move the wire-frame projection into place until it fits perfectly. I then put my model in object view and it is textured to a level that is passable for the time being. Then i ............ well, thats where i am stuck! I have exported my model as .x but, i don't know how to export it with the texture, so once it's dropped in a game it remains textured.

I have watched too many tutorials to mention and none of them mention what to do with your model once it is textured!

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

PS. I know 'Project from View' isn't the best way to texture something as you get stretch textures around you model, but, when i marked seams and unwrapped it, it didn't work properly as i think i had a few stray vertices. I will post a screen shot of what i mean later tonight.

Unfamillia.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
You need to import both your model and the texture you applied to it in the game engine then apply the texture to the model.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 19:15
@mike5424

So, what I have done, (project from view) will keep the texture as i want it?

Also, the the question still remains.

Imagine I am still in blender, my model is textured (as far as I know) I now need to save it so that the texture stays with the model. What do I do to save it? Do I have to apply something, save something or export anything?

Sorry if I seem very inexperienced with all this, the only reason for that is because............. I am.

Unfamillia

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
The UV map (Project from view as you have used) is on the model, the model needs to be exported and that is all. Once you get into the game engine you apply the texture to the model. The texture in blender is only to preview it
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 04:18
Actually you need to apply the texture image to a material on the object in blender not just in the uv editor before you export. In game you do not need to load and apply the image, just have it in the same folder as the model and dbp will texture it on its own

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:44:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:44:23