Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Deathchase - Remake of a ZX Spectrum 48K classic.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 03:12 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 05:35
Currently working on this in Dark GDK. It features endless and continuous terrain.

Here's a video:

EDIT: Fixed the transparency on the trees and also the smoothness of the terrain. Added a few more different types of trees.

TO DO:

1. Add a menu with the difficulty level selection from "a walk in the park" to "insanely impossible". <DONE>
2. Add collision with the trees and other objects and also firing the bikes guns. <TREES AND PICKUPS DONE>
3. Two versions of gameplay - fluffy cuddly version and a zombie scary version. Shoot and run them over.
4. Add day, night, snow, rain and sky boxes.
5. Add a end of game thing.
6. Anyone with more ideas???

DONE:

1. Added sky dome. (Temp removed until generated clouds are done)
2. Speeded up game play so runs better on my slow laptop.
3. Added timer based movement so it runs the same speed on different computers.
4. Added a damage meter. Accounts for crashes with trees and going underwater.
5. Added a simple scoring for now but reduced when damage is taken.
6. Halfway through a 2D DirectX HUD display.
7. Updated the menu screen (still some more needs doing)
8. Added the pickups. Fuel, health and bonus points.
9. Health and Stars pickups now work perfect.
10. Music and sound effects have now been added.
11. Added a proper hud to show health, fuel and score.

Screen shots so far: (updated from the new update)

Download attached...

Attached is the current state of the game in testing mode.

There is still quite a fair bit to do on this yet but I will get there.

I will also be releasing the source code for this once it's fully up and running...

Here's a few shots of the original:

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep up the good work man.

"Life is like a box of chocolates.. eat it before it melts."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 15:45 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 15:50
Cool - I really liked this game as a kid, we would take turns to see who could score the most.

There was a clever iOS game like it, where you had to run through these spooky trees, and see how far you get. That has a really nice look to it, maybe worth having a look, get some inspiration for the night time levels. I'm sure Daniel from TGC made a demo with some nice effects that would work great for a Deathchase game.

Personally, I wouldn't have such severe terrain, I'd try and keep it flat, and spend the time on making the foliage and trees look cool.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find videos of that game, and Daniels demo - for inspiration purposes...

Dead Runner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHUr3EDYraE

And Daniels demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHnHBIdkNIo

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 00:21 Edited at: 17th Nov 2011 00:21
Thanks

I've just updated to a much better version of what I've got so far. Smoother terrain and okay the bike goes a bit faster this time but I'll be adding a timer based movement so it will run on all computers at the same speed.

The real tree models look great but they really wouldn't work in my version as my trees only use 4 polys each to keep up the mega speed. The first video is one I've seen before which made me decide to write a version that could end up being better in the game play department.

As mentioned in the updated first post, I'm going to add levels of difficulty from "A walk in the park" to "insanely impossible". So the extreme hilly terrain can be for the higher levels and the smooth landscape for the easy levels. Plus a choice of two types of gameplay, fluffy cuddly and scary zombies. (I might even have add-on packs so people can shoot and kill the power puff girls)

I can do the rain and snow easy enough but I haven't yet got my hands on any free media for sky-boxes to play around with.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 02:50
UPDATE:

Collision with trees has been done and a menu added with 5 levels of difficulty.

The tree collision has been highly optimised so that it can check collision with over 20,000 tree object without slowing the game down. And old skool method. (You can find out how when I release the source code after the completion of this game. All in Dark GDK C/C++)

I'm still looking for people to test this out and help with any ideas to take this a little further than with the ideas I already have.

CURRENTLY WORKING ON:

1. Timer based movement
2. Damage indicator
3. Game over

I'm progressing pretty fast on my own with this...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 01:31
Download has been updated in the first post. Damage indicator and scoring now done and halfway through a 2D DirectX HUD interface during game play.

Tomorrow I'll get the first lot of pick-ups created and maybe some enemies too...

Source code will be released as promised once completed and it has been put through its paces...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 18:36
A few notes I've had to write up before moving to the next stage:

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2011 02:53 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2011 02:56
UPDATED:

Bonuses and pickups added to the game. (Not pickabubble uppabubble yet), but the optimisation done on them is going to be transferred over to the trees code. It is miles faster 'not' to use the STL functions. Just so long as the code works without glitches you don't need the STL for some things, especially when you want speed in your game.

I've also moved everything into they're own classes so that coding is easier. This took some time and fixing but it's a lot easier to read the code.

NB: After optimising the pickups code I'm going to work on optimising the trees code so I've a lot more cpu time to add more items such as weather later on. I'm sacking off the STL library for a major speed boost...

As always when this has been completed I will release the code. Fully commented.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2011 05:33
New update: (Within a few hours of the last)

The 'Stars' and the 'Health' pickups now work. Stars give an extra 100 points and the health pickup (the hearts) add 25% of your health back.

Now working on the fuel gauge so I can get the fuel pickups to work. And also when health is right down to end the game showing the score.

The health and the fuel gauge will end up being a 3D object either side of the bike with a radar screen too to help find the pickups. (I've added a very fast assembler version of the sqrt() function)

Once these have been added I'll be then working on sound and particles effects.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 16:59 Edited at: 25th Nov 2011 17:00
UPDATE: Music and sound effects have now been added to the game to give a lot more atmosphere.

The sound effects are using the standard DBP GDK sound commands and the music uses the bassmod.dll to play MOD/IT/etc files.

Is anyone actually interested in the final source code for this? It could be useful to learn how to use classes, external dll's, etc...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 00:05
Download and new screenshot added to the first post.

3D HUD added to the game with both fuel and health working.

Just a few more things to add then it should be at V1.0 stage.

To do:

. End of game section.
. Show score in HUD.
. Show item pickups count in HUD.
. Add a radar showing pickups.
. Tidy up the loading and dumping of media.

Once done. Great. Next stage...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 05:36 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 06:14
Added a video of the game to the first post.

Should have the game at V1.0 tomorrow completed...

EDIT: Just counted too... 26 source files so far... Hmmm... I have too much time on my hands.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 02:19
Finally at V1.0. Yep, I got through something right to the end. And it took me a total of 18 days. It will be posted in the Program announcements forum either in the next hour before bo bo's or in the morning. The main reason for this is that I want to go over all the code and make sure I've commented it as much as possible and to make another video.

What I do want to know is: What's the best way to releasing the source code to this? Do I just leave it as a zip on here? Should I have source on request? I don't mind leaving it here.

In the code will be a few tricks and cheats that programmers do to fool people on thinking how it done really. ie. How do I check 12,000 collisions with trees without slowing anything down...?

Watch the Announcements forum, cos a quick and crappy game will be there shortly or lately... With source code

If I do end up doing a rewrite then the game will have a lot more special effects, features, etc.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 16:58
Just started converting this to Dark Basic Pro. I'm going to try my best to do this without the need for plugins. This is going to be difficult as I use perlin noise for the terrain generation so at that point I will have to improvise. I've already thought of various ways to optimise it for speed.

I have the menu done so far and half of the globals initialised... (Ooh I dislike globals in DBP)

When it's finished I'll release the entire code to this too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 17:33:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 17:33:28