Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Build Game Error in X10

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 22:24
Howdy.

As you all may know, i have been working on my game for some time now. Only yesterday, i decided to do a test build game. This is where i realised there was a problem. Whenever i try to build the game (7 levels) I get an error. The first time i got this error, i changed the lightmapping from 'Best for Quality' to 'Best for performance'. This stopped that error appearing. But, then, it now reaches certain point (see pic) and then crashes - EVERY TIME -

If anyone could help, i would be very grateful.

I am entered in to the DTO comp and the deadline is getting frighteningly close for stuff like this to be happening. I was supposed to have a demo out for people to beta test for me!!

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 23:09
I just tried to build a game, and it worked fine. I also checked the code at that line, and there's nothing there that would cause an error. Check all of your paths though, you may have moved a file or something and forgot to update it in the build settings.

reauirentem
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 23:11
It keeps on stopping on 'loading sky'. If i have changed the skybox somewhere, would this really cause it to crash like this?

Unfamillia

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 23:49
What's the name of your exe? If it includes characters like colons and semicolons, it will crash.

Cheesehead for life.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 23:53 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 00:17
Hey Le Shorte,

It's nothing fancy, just, 'Touch of Fear' (without the inverted comma's)

It kept crashing on Level 7 of 7. So, i removed it to see if it was that causing the problem. Just running a build now to see.

If it is, it doesn't really matter as level 7 was a bonus level and had nothing to do with the story. Just a survival level so that the player can have a go with both of the photon gloves.

Fingers crossed it is

Unfamillia

EDIT: It wasn't that, it crashed again without level 7. It crashes right at the end so, is there something it needs to do before it finishes?

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 00:41
This has really shaken my spirits with this engine. I have been working on this game for months now, all the artwork, teaching myself to model. I have spent money on this engine, model packs, script packs, and for what, for nothing to be able to be made at the end?!

I have just tried to build one level from my game, this worked, but, it lagged! Badly! I have a very powerful computer and nothing lags on it! When i tested the game when i was making it, it didn't lag, why now?!

None of the scripts that i have implemented myself worked?! No special health scripts, all the HUDS are the basic HUDS instead of being mine, the first weapon disappears before you can even get it.........the list goes on and that is just one level. What other fun things am i going to come across IF it ever decides to build the entire game and not just one level?!?

Sorry for the rant, but, i have worked so hard on this, i have put all my efforts in to this and now i feel as though i will miss the deadline for the Defy the Odds competition and it would have all been for nothing! What a waste.

As you can tell, i am very upset about this situation. I really wanted this engine to be good.

Oh, another thing, i just purchased MP57 yesterday.......which doesn't work with X10. that's always fun! Why doesn't it say that on the website! What a waste of money! None of the AI works. When you walk towards an enemy, they just fall over and die. Not really the most challenging of games, if all of the baddies just collapse at the mere sight of you!

I honestly feel as though i have wasted alot of money on all of this and a hell of alot of my time!

I apologise for the negativity, but, after countless hours of sitting in front of this telling me that it has failed again, has driven me to rant! (and start looking online for a different engine to use!)

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 01:17
I understand your frustration, but it's no reason to give up, we're all here to help.

The lag is strange, there really should be no difference between built game and test game, I've played plenty of built games and they all ran fine.

Quote: "None of the scripts that i have implemented myself worked?! No special health scripts, all the HUDS are the basic HUDS instead of being mine, the first weapon disappears before you can even get it.........the list goes on and that is just one level. What other fun things am i going to come across IF it ever decides to build the entire game and not just one level?!?"

Did you check the media folders, make sure that everything copied over fine?

Quote: "Oh, another thing, i just purchased MP57 yesterday.......which doesn't work with X10. that's always fun! Why doesn't it say that on the website! What a waste of money! None of the AI works. When you walk towards an enemy, they just fall over and die. Not really the most challenging of games, if all of the baddies just collapse at the mere sight of you!"

You should be able to replace their script with a regular X10 script and it should work fine.

reauirentem
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 09:51
Budo,

I must apologise! I was at my wits end last night! I sat down at 7pm and at 12:35am i went to bed after achieving absolutely nothing with my game! I was very upset. Still am really.

I just need to try and figure out why it keeps crashing during the build! I NEED to get this sorted!Forget about all the other problems, i can sort them as and when, but, this build game issue is kind of a big problem.

Quote: "Did you check the media folders, make sure that everything copied over fine?"

I did check the folders before i played, just to see what they looked like. To see if my media is protected. Nothing was there.....I assume that will be the problem.

Unfamillia

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 13:51
Sorry for the double post.

Would this type of error stem from exceeding the 1.87GB limit?

If it is, i will have to go through and see what sort of things i can delete! lol.

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 14:50
Quote: "Would this type of error stem from exceeding the 1.87GB limit?"

I don't know. I didn't think X10 had that error, but I've never encountered it, so it's possible.

reauirentem
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 18:28
First off try renaming the exe to TOF.... must exe files are single names..

ensure the are no space or symbols in the the skybox folder name that contain your skybox texture.... and ensure the levelsetup.fpi points to the folder you renamed properly.

it appears from the error that is where your problem lies is some where in the script for you skybox.

-Squalker
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 00:55
I have been on the verge of tears!! haha!

So, what i thought i would do is simple. Try to build each level individually! I thought it was going to be a pointless exercise until i got the error message on level 3! So, Now i have narrowed it down, How do i go in and change the skybox for that one level, before i build it. I know i can do in the level using the slider, but, does that save it per level?

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 01:34
Quote: "I know i can do in the level using the slider, but, does that save it per level? "

Yes, all the settings for the level are stored in separate temp files, then combined together to make the .fpm file, so it will save in your level .fpm file.

reauirentem
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 13:12
I looked over it again last night. I opened the level that gave the error (level3) and changed the sky box in the level with the slider, exited test game, saved the level and then re tested. Sure enough, the correct skybox is there. I will try to build it again tonight and post back any updates as to whether it works!

This is cutting it very fine to the deadline! I still have certain things to get done before then, but, this is obviously of uppermost importance.

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 14:21
Quote: "This is cutting it very fine to the deadline! I still have certain things to get done before then, but, this is obviously of uppermost importance.
"

If you need any help, I'll be happy to help. I'll also try to respond to your email in a bit too.

reauirentem
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 23:08
Ok. Anyone that is having the same trouble as this, please read on and it will hopefully solve your problem.

I repeatedly got build errors during the final stages of the build process, i tore my hair out and searched high and low for answers, to which i found none.

I even resorted to making whole levels again to the same specification as the previous level to see if that helped........it didn't! If anyone tells you to remake your level, say no!

What i did was wrote down a list of the entities and segments i used in the level (just one of each) and then, made a spare room 5x5 using all the segments for that one room. I then placed all of the entities in the room (in any order) BUT, only the entities i thought would not be causing any problems (stock items, purchased items from model packs etc) leaving - what i thought - might be the trouble causers out of the build for now.

I tried to build that level (doesn't take long as there isn't much to build)

It built with no errors. So, this means it must be one the entities i hadn't included yet. So, then i included some of the other entities that i thought might be less troublesome than others (Cosmic's media) i tried to build it again......no errors. Anyway, i continued to add the entities a few at a time until i got a build error. This meant that one of the three entities i had just tested the build with, was dodgy. I narrowed it down to be a plank weapon that i had download free by Kravenwolf. (who is in no way responsible for the build error!!) I hadn't copied the correct files across when i was adding it to my collection.

So, if you do get this build error (typically fails while 'Loading Sky', then, check your weapons; if they are fine, try the method above.

But, always try to remain calm, i didn't and it got me nowhere!

I hope this can help someone

Unfamillia

[url=www.touchoffear.webs.com][/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:37:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:37:03