Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / AGK and XOOM - future?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 22:14
It seems that it's not possible at the moment to use the full screen on the XOOM unless 45fps is acceptable.
It is indicated that the XOOM is limited in some way, but many, many downloaded games are performing well on this device with full screen backdrops quite evident.

I can't use a backdrop without losing 15fps (draw time is as low as 0.1)
Switching off transparency, breaking up the backdrop into tiles etc. save a little bit, but it's not enough.

I read something in the Android Player thread about the player using the "first compatible rendering method" that tests true.. is this why the speed is so poor on the XOOM?

At the point of slowing down when I add background tiles:

55-58 fps
0.01 DrawingSetupTime
~0.005 GetDrawingTime

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 20:37
Another attempt to code around this tonight was to use repeating UV to get background tiles - albeit repeated.

This had no positive effect on FPS.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 09:57
You might want to see if someone has a Xoom device, since not many people have one it's not going to be easy.

See if you can let someone (like Paul) who is in the UK use your Xoom device and see what happens.

They need your device to fix the issue (since Android runs on just about anything including a Commodore 64, sorry can you tell I don't like Android). I just don't like the non existing standards, it's a nightmare to try to program on. Monkey another dev tool had many issues with android because of lack of standards and lazy platform planning.

Anyway, my advice is to contact Paul and see if he can get your device to fix the issues. It's obvious your device has some issues with AppGameKit and the only real way to fix it is for them to have that device so they can see what the issues are and since not many people have the device it will be hard to debug.

This would have been avoided if there was proper platform planning, I doubt ios or Windows Phone 7 would have these same issues.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 02:52
Tegra 2 devices (XOOM, Galaxy Tab 10.1) seem to suffer when displaying large transparent sprites, just two 1280x800 transparent sprite slows the XOOM down to 35fps, but without transparency it can easily handle 6 of them at 50fps. I'll investigate to see if there is any way to improve alpha fill rate but for now I'd try to avoid transparency as much as possible on these devices, use SetSpriteTransparency( ID, 0 ) on anything that doesn't need alpha.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 03:15
two 1280x800 transparent sprites? I'd be lucky.

I'm talking about 6 256x256 tiles, no transparency.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 03:57
Can you email me the project and I'll take a look at it
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 00:48
Hi Paul,

I'll knock up an example this weekend. Been cracking on with the game and got quite carried away

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:14:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:14:47