Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Keyframe Cleaner - Optimize Animations...?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 11:59
I'm currently messing around with my animations for a model, and I'm currently at 6K frames, and my exported .X file is 5.5MB in size. Unfortunately, 5.5MB is unacceptable to have (the animations are motion captured).

Is there any free toolkit that I can use to reduce the amount of keyframes this file has? I am currently using FRAGmotion and Milkshape3D, and have access to a PC with 3D Studio Max 2009 on it.

Thank you much!

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 12:43
Could always run through the animation, pick out which frames our the main 'keyframes' and delete the rest.

Unclean mocab in itself is a full days work to get it game ready if not longer. Trust me, yesterday I spent over 12 hours cleaning up three different mocap walk animations to make them game ready and loopable and when I was done I realized I was supposed to do run animations not walk...my brain was ready to explode.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
You can do what Josh said for a clean version, or just delete every 10 frames or so for a quick fix.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 08:33
Thanks! I wasn't sure whether or not there was a tool, but it'd be best to do it by hand anyway.

(I just dislike how I sometimes get overeager with deleting keyframes and fudge everything up!)

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 09:17 Edited at: 6th Dec 2011 09:44
3dsMax, you can use reduce keys in the Track View - Curve Editor to automatically reduce keys and keep important keys intact.
Works really well by all accounts and keeps the flow of your animation without removing anything important.

I have used this on all kinds of animation from mocap to physics simulations and found it works fine for me. It analyzes the pattern of keys based on rotation, scale and position (a keyframe on every frame doesn't make any difference) and produces a similar pattern with less. You wouldn't even know there was a pattern till you used it (I have no idea how to decide which keyframes are important by eye so I need to use this function). I usually keep a low threshold and run it a few times till it starts to degrade then just undo to step back for whts needed.
For 6k frames should take less than five minutes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:01:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:01:39