Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Where Can I Get Free Music Packs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 15:39
I know, I know... This seems like a "Give me teh soundz" thread. Weeeeeell...it is. It isn't like I haven't looked. For the last year, I've searched the net and I've just spent about an hour on TGCs forums and I can't find what I seek. Here are my criteria:

1. No parting with money involved (royalties, initial purchase price, etc). My stuff is freeware, as are both the games I'm working on (They're going to be real games so I'm aiming for decent soundtracks) so I cannot afford to pay for anything atm.

2. No dribs and drabs (one track from this site, another from that). I need a single soundpack whose tracks have a consistant quality and bitrate. I don't mind what format ITs, MIDIs etc either.

3. Would like if tracks in the pack actually had an author listed. A friend of mine told me that "anonymouse" free tracks sometimes contain all/part of other people's intellectual property and that I might be sued even if I didn't know

I'm really sorry to pollute the forum with this type of request but I'm struggling here (If only I was friends with Nobuo Uematsu, *sigh*). If anyone has any decent links, would really appreciate it.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 17:14
this might help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_License

and found this at the bottom... labelled free music...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Music

if you go down a little on that page you will see this list...

Quote: "
Record labels and websites distributing free music
Audition Records free and non-free CC licenses[15]
Dogmazic — free and non-free CC licenses, GNU GPL[16]
Free Music Archive
Jamendo (free and non-free CC licenses, Free Art License)
LOCA Records[17][18]
Magnatune
Opsound
Sean Terrington Wright (free and CC licenses, Free Art License)
Starfrosch
"

they are all linked on the second link above

GNU GPL might be the licence you are looking for but do some searching to figure out which you are looking for...
I think I will add those links to my blog too >.< or maybe just my wiki...

this one was interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamendo
website
http://www.jamendo.com/

I was just listening to this one...
QUALITY!

but looks like the listening is free... beut I noticed something weird...
home page says

Listeners

•336,561 free music tracks
•Stream and download for free
•Unlimited and legal sharing

Listeners

•336,561 free music tracks
•Stream and download for free
•Unlimited and legal sharing
"

and also

Professionals

Royalty free music licenses

CatalogRatesTestimonials
Royalty free background music

Free trialRatesTestimonials"

so I guess you still need to fish through the rest of those links and see if you find some royalty free, free tracks that you can use... but Jamendo seems like it will need payment for royalty free licences to support the artists you never know maybe theres a free one so just sieve through the lot...

hope this helped... and sadly I think I will not link to this stuff... as I already am in talks with a musician to produce music for my upcoming titles so...

I also think I will ask some of the wonderful composers on here to help with some of my projects both free projects and paid projects... meaning projects that I sell onto customers... so i also pay the musicians

anyway yeah hope this helped somewhat...

OH and thinking again... that Jamendo and others maybe as it says free distribution is free and legal but I guess your project might fall into that category... maybe just contact individual artists and say you will link back to their store or something... and of course do that anyay!

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 21:44
Thanks for the links. I'm pretty clueless with "free music". I would never have even thought to use wiki to find "free music" sites. Instead I did the worst thing this past year and googled every term I could think of and ended up with mounds of commercial sites.
Anyway, will commence my sifting! If I find anything useful I'll post it for the interests of public knowledge

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 22:06
Brilliant... also read my blog I linked to some good music that you can play in the background while your coding if thats your thing like it is mine... you dont even notice them... awesome!

Glad I could help and hope more people will post their findings... looking forward to your sifting results

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 09:39
Just listened to some of "Digital Memories". I love music that incorporates "chiptunes". If you like that kinda sound, you should check out Machinae Supremacy's stuff, specifically their "Jets 'n Guns" album. They offer it free (along with several other of their albums) on their website http://machinaesupremacy.com/. They also use C64's sound chip. Gotta love those old synth chips, nothing beats 'em

zechariah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2012 19:01 Edited at: 1st Jan 2012 19:03
I can creat anything you need (custom) for free. All I want is credit for my work in the game credits....and permission to tell others of my work for you, as well as copy of your finished game to show off...with my music therein.
Check our some of my tunes @
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/daviejmusic
Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 18:19
check out some of my past posts.. i have released a ton of free music and sound fx.. including weapons-- footsteps , bloody death sequences and much much more.. just look around the models and media forum page under my name.

http://uimg.ngfiles.com/banners/3880/3880701.jpg
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 22:00 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2012 16:04
Wow, thought this thread had gone dead!
Tks zechariah and Armageddon Games, will definitely have a look tomorrow

EDIT: Had a poke around today. Could only listen to 1 song each because I'm on relatives internet and they have a terrible internet package (http://www.saol.com/adsl1.php - option 1. btw a monthly cap's a bandwidth limit).Anyways,

@zechariah: Listened to "If" as it was the only downloadable track (can't stream nicely). Good job. May very well call on you in the future.

@Armageddon Games: Listened to "Every Step" as it was the most recent. Had some very cool synth sounds in it. I see you've got quite a lot of stuff (ran a thread listing).

Anyways, tks to everyone for their contributions. Looks like I'll have plenty music and SFX for my WIPs
Will definitely let anyone know via their email or whatever if/when I need anything.

Cheers and tks again!

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:22
Nothing on that site you gave us is free for app games I would have to shell out 180 dollars a track.

Go through yourself at a wall.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 09:54 Edited at: 11th Jan 2012 09:56
And everytime I think this thread's gone dead, Phoenix Down, back to life.

Quote: "Nothing on that site you gave us is free for app games I would have to shell out 180 dollars a track"

If you're refering to the link I posted, it wasn't in relation to games but just a musical suggestion (for listening). If you mean someone else's link, yeah lots of the stuff that's been posted isn't really free for use in stuff like games/movies but still free to listen to, such as Jamendo - which had me going for a while when I saw CC license but then I saw the fine print. I think people confuse "Royalty-Free" (you don't pay royalties per use but you may still have to purchase initial rights) with "Free" (Totally free, public domain, no copyright or license). I haven't finished rifling through all the stuff that's been posted properly because I don't have a very good internet connection. Wasn't gonna bother posting here coz I thought it was dead but I'm actually working on a listing of free resources for game producers (specifically geared toward non-commercial entities). There's one site I did find that offers free music, however it's mainly only free for non-commercial games. Also you need to request to use each track. Anyways, since there appears to be activity on this thread, here's the site:

http://www.indiegamemusic.com/
General rules of media on the site (may vary a little from artist to artist)
Free: Get author's permission, non-commercial use only.
Cheap license: non-exclusive, commercial use.
Expensive license: Exclusivity, commercial use.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:24:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:24:27