Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / WIP: Planet Okron - A horizontal space shooter by Hodgey and The Slayer.

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 17:50 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 21:48
Hi everyone,

Hodgey and me are working together on a project made in AppGameKit, called 'Planet Okron'. It's a horizontal scrolling space shooter with lots of cool effects, level bosses, powerups, and also enemies. Heheheh.

The Story:

The year is 4071, and mankind has discovered ways and resources to make space crafts go much faster than the speed of light.
These resources are hard to find here on Earth, and polution makes it harder for mankind to live a normal life.
Scientists have discovered a planet quite simular to our world, named Okron, a planet that has a lot of the resources mankind needs to survive, including the matter that is needed for faster space travel.
On the first mission to send vessels to land upon Planet Okron, an unknown alien race destroys the convoy.
This alien race, named the 'Arati', is also highly interested in Planet Okron, and will attack anyone who stands in their way.
And that's where the player (you) come in. Your mission is to destroy all Arati aliens and clear the path for mankind to land on Planet Okron.

Hodgey is doing most of the coding so far, and I take care of the graphics, music and sounds.

We plan on having up to 30 levels, level bosses, cool weapons, and make it lots of fun to play the game. The aim is also to make the program run on multiple devices/OS.

Demo: Planet Okron

And, here are a few screenshots:

The Main Menu:

Ingame screenie:

Ingame screenie:

Further progress will be added, so stay tuned. Thanks.

All comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 11:39
Looks awsome guys! Nice graphics (of course)

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 12:28
This is looking good. My judgement is always based on "I wish I'd thought of that"

I wish I'd thought of that!

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 15:01
Thanks to Hodgey for notifying me that this was here. Looking good fellas, graphics are looking great and I'm sure the gameplay will be just as exciting.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 18:45
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Adam is doing a great job on the coding. So, the gameplay will be great too.
I help with programming here and there, but will mainly focus on the graphics and sound design.
We have some great ideas on enemies and gameplay, and we will do our very best to implement all these features in our game.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Graphics look amazing! Nice job!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 08:57
Looking really good. Has that old school 3d feel with the pre-rendered media, which is what I love. Your a Truespacer too right?

Curious how your constructing your levels. Are you pre-renderings large sections, the whole level or prefabs then stitching them together?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 10:27 Edited at: 20th Dec 2011 11:36
Thanks for all of the great feedback guys. We're working hard on getting that demo ready.

Quote: "Curious how your constructing your levels. Are you pre-renderings large sections, the whole level or prefabs then stitching them together?"

We need to use the latter. AppGameKit has a limitation on some devices as to how large an image can be when loaded (if you have a netbook, try it). If it exceeds this size (1024x1024) then it simply becomes a 'white sprite'. So we need to break all of the images up which probably helps memory and processing wise but it's just a little bit more work for us.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 12:27
Much appreciated, everyone.

Quote: "Has that old school 3d feel with the pre-rendered media, which is what I love. Your a Truespacer too right? "

That's the look we're going for. The game assets (player, enemies, environment, etc...) will be mostly pre-rendered.
And yes yes, I'm a Truespacer too.
It's still a great program to work with.
Actually, I'm working on a tutorial for Truespace.

For the background, there's a limitation bug, as Hodgey explained very well , so we're stitching teh levels together with prefabs.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 18:59
I like that lightning beam thingy

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 20:59
Thanks, Phaelax!

Here's a small update. It's just the introscreen.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 00:16
Sorry for the bump, but just letting you all know that this project is still progressing.
Hodgey is working hard on getting the first demo ready, so be patient a little longer. Thanks.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 13:01
Hey guys, The Slayer is now making a few final touches and so it will be available very soon.

Here's a list of what's in the current build:
-Two types of asteroids
-Three types of aliens moving in a wave pattern
-Explosions with sounds
-Infinite shooting with sound
-Scrolling background

Current controls, arrowkeys to move, spacebar to fire.

Future Plans:
-Power ups: Chain gun, shield, missiles, and other weapon's I can't put a name to...yet
-Health for both the ship and aliens
-Aliens shooting back
-Special manoeuvres
-Bosses

Have fun with the demo guys! Constructive critism welcome.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 02:02
Hey guys, here's the demo you've all been waiting for.
There's a lot more that will be added, but we'd like you guys to test the game so far, and give us your opinion to make it better.
So, Hodgey and me, we're hoping that you'll enjoy the demo, and we look forward to hear your opinions/comments so that we can take this game to a higher level. Thanks.
Enjoy!

Note: the download is 18,3 MB.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 11:42 Edited at: 4th Feb 2012 11:45
It looks great, I really like the graphics... There was one issue though, when you hit either the 'slack_alien' or the 'sprot-alien' a big white square comes up which I assume is supposed to be an explosion... Here's an example...

Other than that, it looks really good and am looking forward to the updates... Good skills...
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 13:09
Thanks for the feedback Funnell7, I'm glad you like it.

The 'white box' problem seems to occur on certain graphics chips with certain sized images.

The latest build is attached to this post and should fix the white box problem. Here's your update.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 23:34
Really nice guys! The graphics are great (particularly love the ship exhaust). Game-play is addictive and the music's cool too.

Looking forward to getting some pickups and extra weapons to try out

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2012 13:12
We appreciate the feedback, everyone. Thanks for that.

Quote: "Looking forward to getting some pickups and extra weapons to try out"

And...aliens firing back.
We're working on all those features, and should be able to get another demo out asap. So, stay tuned.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 09:47
Glad I stumbled on this. Looks really good. That intro screen looks really well polished. I also like what Phaelax called "the lightning beam thingy" and I love the main menu, it's first class! The main menu is something so easily overlooked in smaller independent projects so it's nice to see such professional looking graphics!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 10:04
Quote: "I love the main menu, it's first class!"

The Slayer works magic with graphics, it's unbelieveable! Thanks for the comment nonZero!

I'm working on getting the lightning beam thingy into the levels.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 03:20 Edited at: 11th Feb 2012 16:59
Looking good guys, I also like the style of the menu. Everything runs nice and smooth as well. Nice work!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 15:24
Glad to hear such great comments, everyone.
I always try to make my graphics as good as possible.
However, only good graphics doesn't make a great game, and that's where Hodgey comes in.
He's a great friend and equal partner to work with. And, good teamwork is essential to make great games.
Hodgey is working hard to get more coool features in the game, and I'm working on new graphics to spice it up, so...stay tuned. Thanks.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, how's this project going? Not seen an update in awhile. Either the project has gone into what I call, backseat mode, or you are hiding it away! Any news or updates?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 07:14
Quote: "Hi guys, how's this project going? Not seen an update in awhile. Either the project has gone into what I call, backseat mode, or you are hiding it away! Any news or updates?"

Hi DVader, thanks for showing an interest!

Unfortunately, this has gone into backseat mode, mainly because I've started uni and that is taking up most of my time.

I will say this though, Chris and I do plan on finishing the project. I have a month's holiday starting sometime in July so hopefully at that point, we'll be able to get the bulk of the project done.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah I see, thought it may be that. My project Obliterator has had it's moments also, with months of inactivity. Mainly due to the artist being temperamental, and as I can't match the graphics he did very well, have almost wrote it off completely once or twice. He popped over last week and was very enthusiastic(but also rather drunk), but as ever no signs of activity again (unless he's keeping quiet and doing loads of stuff, which I doubt).
Hope you are doing well at Uni, and get back working on this in your spare moments. If indeed you have any ;p

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 18:32
Quote: "I will say this though, Chris and I do plan on finishing the project."

Good to hear. I had pretty much assumed it was on the backburner. "Life happens" as they say (Anybody ever wondered who they are?). I remember running into a post of yours a while ago about classes and a question regarding binary. Was an interesting question, but I was late in seeing it so I never got a chance to post my 5 cents because everything had basically been said (irrational numbers) and all I had left was this little quip which may have sparked debate and gotten your thread hijacked. You may get a laugh out of this though:

Anyway, I'm side-tracking and will upset the agents too much. So, here's hoping that the project and uni go well

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 19:21
Yeah, sorry for not informing you guys about our project.
As Hodgey said, it's been on the backseat and not on the drivers seat.
But, it's still on our to do list, so we'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the interest, guys!

Btw, DVader, how was the fireball spritesheet I've sent you? ?
Need any more of those?

Cheers

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh you sent something? Not received any mail off you at all that I can see. Perhaps it didn't reach me? Didn't want to pester you about it though.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 21:18
Yep, just checked. I answered your email and added the spritesheet. Want me to send it again? ?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course Thanks. I'll reply when I get it. If not I'll mail you again in a day or so.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow very nice guys! The game looks awesome! I see a lot of potential with this game. Keep up the good work guys!

darkvee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:54:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:54:52