Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / UTP cabling order

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 10:01
Hey you guys! I have to do this assignment for school about UTP.

I have to find out why the cabling order is 12364578 but all I found so far is IEEE said so. Does anyone of you know the answer?

Thanks.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 13:23
Tolken Ring Networking right?

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
Dragoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 14:11
"If I punch cables for my network it's white/orange, orange, white/green, blue, white/blue, green, white/brown, brown which means my cables are numbered 12364578. Why don't I just use 12345678?"

That's what was told to me (translated to English as good as possible) so I don't know which network he's using.

I hope this will help.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 16:05 Edited at: 30th Oct 2003 16:07
ah ha a CAT5 cable.
if i remember, cat 3 was

white/blue,blue,white/org,org,white/green,green,white/brown,brown

I used to make these cables where I worked, I also used to install 25-pair trunk cable and patch panels in our data center - it was fun.

-RUST-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 17:18
ohh
well then don't have a clue ... probably has something to do with the fact that its always a female<->female connection, but never really learnt much about Cat networks in College

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 18:16
http://library.n0i.net/hardware/ho_cat5/

nope that helps.

there's another site i used to help me learn the colours of networking, but i cant remember it.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! [url]www.dbforums.co.uk/[/url] - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Dragoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 10:11
The site has taught me a lot. I may even have found why the cable order is 12364578 but I'm not sure. I have also looked at the IEEE site.

Okay, here's my guess:

If I'm not mistaken, EIA/TIA 568B is the same as 100 Base TX, which has the fastest link time compared to 10 Base T and 1000 Base T. Now if we take a look at the RJ-45 we see that it does not use 4, 5, 7 and 8. If we place 6 before the unused pins, it should get it's data just a little bit faster.

That's my theory (and it's all I could think of for now).

Thanks for the site jagmasteruk.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 14:46
Only stuff I can tell you is:

-UTP stands for Unshielded Twisted Pair.
-In each pair, the wires are twisted around each other, which is a method of reducing magnetic interference by means of exposing each wire to an equal amount of interference on a given side of the wire. So if the wires weren't twisted, one wire would be closer to any given source of interference, thus unequally corrupting the signal, where as in a twisted pair, both wires are equally close to the source of interference because they wrap around each other.
-Shielded Twisted Pair has a thin foil sheath which acts to contain internal interference and repel external interference, but UTP does not have this, making it subtantially cheaper than STP.

Can't think of anything else. Not sure if that's relevant to ya, but hope it helps.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 15:27
cat 3 and cat 5 above are examples of unshielded twisted pairs

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:46:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:46:06