Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / UK Business...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
...is completely losing the plot! I don't think companies in the UK care about anything anymore. It seems to take forever to get anything done in this country. Even something as simple as a wire transfer of some money to Spain. It used to take less than 12 hours to get money to Spain - not anymore! First of all, the kid in the bank said "I don't know how to do a wire transfer - do you know what form I need to fill in?" - then, after several hours of phoning their head office I was eventually told they no longer provide a wire transfer facility! - This is a BANK!!! So, in the end I had to get the money into my Uncle's bank account (they said they CAN do a wire transfer) - this was all last Friday. The money only turned up in the Spanish account TODAY! - That's FIVE DAYS to wire some money! Thank god it wasn't a life or death situation!

Talking of things taking time - does anyone know how long it takes to get a DBDN subscription? - When I used to be on DBDN, re-subscription would take 10-20 mins! Today, it has taken seven hours and counting! Should I give up now and check back next week?

- Conrad Brown -
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 21:50
Yes I also noticed this Conrad,however I'm guessing you were pretty unlucky too...

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 22:17 Edited at: 30th Oct 2003 22:19
Thought wire transfers were stopped years ago - after all there are direct bank transfers now. Other British things you can moan about are :

A) The railways
B) The weather

The problem is the bank clearing system delays everything so they can get interest on all monies. It gets very annoying when you get paid by cheque each month...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Insert witty comment here...
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 22:21
The weather...ah,yes.It's a strange obsession with these people that whenever they meet they simply must make some sort of comment or reference to the weather.It's another one of nature's mysteries...

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 22:23
Well, you would too if 364 days of the year are wet...

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 22:31
Should have used Western Union - I transferred some money to a mate in France who lost his wallet. 10 minutes later and he had the cash!

Luckily I get paid by boss with Internet banking. Must have been over a year ago I got last pay cheque. Those were the days.

Another of life's mysteries - why do I always pick the checkout in my local Sainsburys that has the annoying person in front of me that has a problem with their credit card. 3 times this has happened this week.

Boo!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 22:36
Well, I've mentioned it to my boss twice now - trouble is he's got a very continental way of doing things, ie it takes years to do...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 23:12 Edited at: 30th Oct 2003 23:16
I know what you mean,

mañana without the rush...

Fortunately my agent Element is a German company with efficiency to match

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 13:27 Edited at: 31st Oct 2003 13:27
Lucky...

My boss is sort now semi-retired (didn't do that much anyway), so the new boss (sounds like a change of Number 2 in The Prisoner) works for another company so there's a nice bit of conflict of interest.

Not that I mind much - as long as they dont keep visiting/phoning/emailing me too often and let me get on sleeping..er, I mean working, and I get paid regularly, I dont really mind.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 13:44
Natwest have always been good for that kind of thing, 5minutes over the phone and i can transfer money between my accounts.
They have online versions too aparently... but there is a limitation to what accounts you can do it to. Dunno what though.

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:54:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:54:06