Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 17:14 Edited at: 16th Jan 2012 17:20
Hi guys and girls,

It's been ages since I have posted a WIP, and to be honest, it's been ages since I've had a WIP to call my own!

Part 1 is (imaginatively) the first part of a series of short chapters exploring the world after the Robots. I have three more planned out, and would like to collate them, once finished, into a short art-venture game (self-created genre).

Sorry, no amazing mechanics or endless gameplay. But, do enter it with an open mind, and don't be afraid to just sit back and let the world pass by.

As stated, this is a WIP, and I'd like to get some feedback from this community before I release it on my blog. There are still some loose ends to tie up, and I am sure you guys will have great feedback.

ALSO, since I have no idea how to secure the media with App Game Kit, it remains unsecured

Do try it.

Greenlig

EDIT - I am trying to upload the game to my server, but I am having troubles with it at the moment. For now, it can be got here - 2.7mb D/L

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 17:15
And here is a screenshot from the game, for those into such niceties.

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 18:18
Beautifully detailed, though I couldn't have expected anything less from you. Was always a fan of the greelig art style. My only complaint is the control scheme. Took me a few moment to figure out what to do and how to do it. Maybe just having a similar point/click scheme like King's Quest would be easier?

Can't wait to see what you have in store.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 02:10
WoWza... got me thinking the art style is superb and I see a lot of art where I go... you hand paint these or PS?

Currently on mobile so can not try it out... is there any music? I can imagine it being very tender sounding...

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 02:26
@ Josh (Moondog, right??) - Cheers for the props. Yeah, the control scheme is something I need to think through a little more. I'm a little reticent to make it a point and click. Something about breaking the fourth wall, I think. I'll have to think about it more. Thanks for the feedback.

@MrValentine - Again, thanks for the kind words. The art was done in PS There is no music, as yet. Again, it's something I am toying with, but not sure if I want it to be part of the world yet. I will try something though...I have just got an idea about something that might be cool/work with the story! Thank you haha!

Regards,
Greenlig

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 17:57
Wow, really nice work. I'll be watching this one. I love these kind of games but don't have the artistic skill to make one.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 20:18
Really cooooooooool artwork, greenlig! Very artistic and sweet. Nice style. I like it.
Not much gameplay/story/puzzles at the moment, but I'm sure you'll add to, right?
I'll be watching you...

Cheers

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I am envious of your amazing artwork. Out of curiosity, what stylus do you use (I don't have one yet but am considering purchasing one). Great job.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 03:18
Cheers for having a look, guys. I'm strongly considering making this a lot more of a game, as I've had some great feedback from you lot + others. I might also consider getting help from someone with more codery magic than I

@xCept - Thanks man. I use a Graphire3 by Wacom. It's very old, but to be honest, there is nothing different from a bog standard tablet, and one of the newest, most expensive Intuos. The only thing different is the amount of customisable keys/displays on the tablet itself. All of those can be emulated through hotkeys.

There are really only two considerations for me when looking at tablets, and those are SIZE and PRESSURE LEVELS. My tablet has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, which is just fine for me. The size is roughly A5, which is good. Smaller tablets are fine, but you do notice the size at times. I had a smaller Bamboo Fun at work, and that was just fine. Allowed me to still produce good work.

In the end, it's about how you use it. It's just a better version of a mouse, and a poor version of a pencil/brush. Once you get used to it, though, it is invaluable. As a point of interest, I still use a mouse and keyboard while using the tablet. Shortcuts are important!!

Heh, a rant bout tablets. Fantastic

Thanks,
Greenlig

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 08:19
Excuse the double-post!

Just wanted to update my progress on here. The game is still progressing, and has taken almost final shape. I spent a few hours today creating a scene switching system that works pretty much as intended. Was a good little exercise in resource management, and while I'm sure it could be better, it works just fine. I was chasing a bug for a good portion of the time, but it ended up being an accidental copy/paste, so all is well in the world.

I have also completed all but one of the backgrounds for the game. These still have to be cut up, animated, and given some spit-and-polish, but the art itself, and the layouts, are final.

Some areas that I have yet to traverse are audio, music, and, interestingly, longevity. I'd like to think I can expand on this story/world that I am creating, but that will depend entirely on the reception. With that in mind, I am really looking forward to finishing Part 1, and getting the feedback from all you people!

Thanks for reading,
Greenlig

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 14:58
Well...where's the screenshots then?? Don't make me ban you!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 15:32
Good to know this is still going on. Would like to see much more of the great artwork, and good gameplay of course.
Looking forward to the next screens/demo.

Cheers

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 01:49 Edited at: 15th Feb 2012 01:49
As per moondog's gracious request, I have attached one of the images for the interior of the shed. It will have the whole particle/interaction/polish once-over when the whole game is in place!

Regards,
Greenlig

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 10:01
Very nice!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 23:31
The art is amazing and I LOVE point and click adventures. The story sounds interesting too. I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 09:04
Very promising app, good luck with the development. This has a very Indie game feel about it.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 06:18
Cheers for the props, guys. It's coming along very nicely at the moment. I restructured the code-base so I can now add as many scenes as I want to, and easy move between them.

I have put all the scenes into the game, and you can move between them easily and without any hiccups. The next task is to add the interaction layer to each scene. Each one has a slightly different feel to it, and it's definitely not your standard point-and-click.

The task after that is environmental effects/animation. I really want to make the world feel unique and lived-in, so ambient movement/animation is crucial. You can see a bit of what I did in the teaser at the top, with the rain, birds, etc.

After THAT, the most time-consuming process will be adding the player animations. I want the character to really react to his surroundings, so there will be a lot of animation in there. Being hand drawn, this will be the most laborious task. Sort of not looking forward to it, but hey, it's gotta be in there.

Again, thanks for following my progress, and all the kind words!!

Greenlig

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Greenlig, only just tried the demo, I saw this post awhile back but only noticed the screenshots before. Very nice work so far, however I do not see your point about point and click. Surely a game, being interactive, actually calls for breaking the fourth wall? In films or TV this can be a little jarring I know, but in a game where you control the action I don't see a problem.

I noticed some edging around your sprites also. I had a similar problem in an isometric thing I toyed with the idea of trying. I have since lost the code, but remember the border that I notice on your tree and building sprite, was fixed using Set Default Mag Filter command, and possibly the min one also, I can't remember offhand. Explore those commands and hopefully that will fix those lines.

Like I said at the start, very nice work.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2012 10:44
Cheers Mr. Vader.

The control scheme is still a way off being right. I see what you are saying about the fourth wall, and interactivity, but I think games can be different. In a sense, we go the other way. Interaction requires to bridge that gap, but if you can create a state of flow, you can effectively "pass the fourth wall" and enter into the experience. That said, I don't think I do that at all in this game I'm hoping the experience is good, but I don't imagine I can make it like I want just yet. Needs more designing!

Besides all this, I am doing 2D contract work at the moment, so all my time is taken. The game won't be re-visited for a month or so. I'm a little bummed about this, as I had a great head of steam up, but hey, gotta pay the rent somehow!

Also, thanks HEAPS for the mention of the sprite edge issues. It has been bugging the hell out of me, and I had no idea how to fix it. You, my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Regards,
Greenlig

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:12:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:12:23