Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / appInvaders: Tier-1 App for Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 14:48
Hi,
I wrote two Tier-1 Apps. I compiled them for the Android platform following the guide step-by-step, and I tried them on Samsung Galaxy GIO (2.3.3 Gingerbread).
The first app is the classic "Space Invaders" game.
Attached there is one screenshot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 18:32
I put the screenshot with the title, I am attaching a more significant screenshot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 14:48
Gallery for appInvaders.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 12:01
I hope you don't get sued, you have even used an image from the original arcade game here...

The game looks great and I like the idea of using the accelerometer for movement but you are asking for a heavy court case by using the image and alluding to the original game in the description.

Sorry to sound so negative but Taito are not known for being lenient on people trying to profit from Space Invaders.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 14:47
thanks, but I'll propose Taito to share the millions of € that I'll shall earn, 0/2=0
Seriously, I put a price only because I do not want to publish free apps. To create that game took me 1 week of work, so It is not fair, in my opinion, that I give it away for free something that requires skill and patience.
And I am not forcing anyone to buy it...
Anyway, I'll remove the cabinet photo (that is a public image in the Internet) and I'll put another one.
I am going to publish other 2 apps. In one (The Black Hole), I put the Death Star image as boss, so I would risk to be sued by LucasArts!!! I am going to change it immediatly.
Both Space Invaders and Star Wars are dated back to 1978, so after 34 years the "patents" are still there?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 15:05
I know that you are not worried about sharing what little you might make but Taito (or Midway or Square Enix or actually anyone who has purchased the rights to use the imagery legally) would sue for a lot more than you would ever make with the game (as would Lucas Arts).

IP is valid as long as the product is still being sold for them at the very least and since Taito and LA both still sell these products you would not be able to use the age of the IP as defence.

You could always plead innocence and hope they let you purchase the rights to use their images and/or game dynamic.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make money from your week of hard work, just that if you do you should be aware of a possible consequence of using another person's "Intellectual Property".

I think the game looks great

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 15:45
ok, I'll remove any mention to Space Invaders and the cabinet photo. For sure neither I can afford to buy the Intellectual Property, nor, I suppose, the other thousand people that wrote Space invaders variants...But I suppose that TAITO/SQUARE ENIX should pay me (and others) for the free advertisement to their games, not to sent us to court
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 15:51
That would be nice getting paid to copy games... kind of like a legal pirate

It's far harder to come up with "new" ideas!

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 23:46
waiting to become a legal pirate , I removed all material that could be copyrighted or is directly linked to the original game. If you see the gallery above, the cabinet image has been replaced by an "quasi-anonymous" smartphone with an screenshot of my game.
Here is the Android market page: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.texasoftreloaded.appInvaders&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50ZXhhc29mdHJlbG9hZGVkLmFwcEludmFkZXJzIl0.
I have replaced the original smartphone image with the original Space Invaders screenshot, with screenshots taken by my game.
I think it should be enough to avoid to pay millions of $ to Taito, anyway if you have other suggestions, you are welcome.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 09:42
That's a lot better!

I hope you don't think I'm being a pain! I'm just trying to help

I think your graphics are great BTW, simple but unique somehow.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 12:11
thanks, for the praises too! Suggestions are always welcomed, especially the ones that save the wallet (and the house and the car).
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 16:35
@baxslash
I pointed out the same copyright issues to Mr. Gekko, that published Arkanold (TAITO!) and Street Karate Fighter (CAPCOM!!!), and he democratically asked the moderator to delete the post.
Well, let him do what he wants, so we shall experiment if you are right and Taito and Capcom are all interested in sueing him...but he has got a lawyer in the family.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 16:44
I don't see the problem with giving someone a friendly warning... moderators don't tend to delete posts without a good reason around here so it's up to him (and his lawyer) to worry about whether someone gets the hump (if he decides to ignore fair warnings).

I would suggest not pushing the matter.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 19:50 Edited at: 18th Feb 2012 20:14
You are going out of borderline Marco!!!
Remember your works:
You have a website were you have copyrighted clones:
http://darkbasicgames.altervista.org/

In your showcase talk of your copyright enfrangement.

iPhone/iPad Games : Street Karate Fighter - 90s VideoPokers Simulator - Arkanold
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 10:17
appInvaders is on Android Market at 0.76€
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.texasoftreloaded.appInvaders&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50ZXhhc29mdHJlbG9hZGVkLmFwcEludmFkZXJzIl0.
I realize that there are a lot of Space Invaders clone for free, but my game uses accelerometer to move the spaceship (someone told me that it is a good idea), and it is very playable too.
It can be improved, adding more levels and more behaviours, for example make alien move circularly or in other patterns. More colors and shapes may be added, a big boss can be added...I have got a lot of ideas, but time is so short
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 11:55
Please post your game into the AGK Gallery!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2012 17:17
I'll do that ASAP. Thanks Rick.
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2012 04:20
Really nice looking game, always love play vaders. here's hoping you sell millions.

And yea, I dont worry much about being sued myself. I figure I'll run to the news media and online magazine and plead fowl.

Telling them the Big Boys are pickin on little ol' me, lol .

Back in the 80's I made a game that stole from SuperPac Man and Thief called Midas Maze. Aint been sued yet and the games till bein sold. (looks around for the net police?)

I feel as long as you dont copy their code but hand create it, its your baby.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel bearing some nuts and a smile!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the name was more the issue than the game idea, Iron Giant. As you say though, some people have got away with it often enough in the past, but then again everyone was up to it then as well. There were a couple of games I remember pulled because of it. Giani Sisters was one (Mario) and L-Type? (R-Type) Not sure on that, but it was a good game even if it was slightly inspired by R-Type. Different times, when computers were fun

That is a nice and colourful version you have there btw MarcoBruti. It reminds me a little of Super Space Invaders style.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 00:02
Thanks for your very kind appreciation of my little work.
I have no expectations to sell a lot of copies and become rich , but anyway it was my first experience with AGK. I made several games in DarkBasic Pro, and appInvaders was the right training to get acquainted with the product.
Of course, given my age (42), I remember very well the original Space Invader cabinet, and to see the old arcade game brought back to life in mobile devices, or even on PCs with MAME, has a special meaning for me, grew up with videogames and home computers.
About the name, I do not think that TAITO shall bother me for my relatively little game (and my other DarkBasic Pro games) since it should not influence the sales of their -serious- products. Anyway it is important to be aware about the issues.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:37:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:37:19