Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DirectX 9 bugged?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ive been having some problems with every game of mine that requires DX9... looking around on a lot of support forums, found out many other people have this same problem... anyone know, or even if this happens to you? and also, may it end up effecting my DBP programs that i make?

things that happen is the games just crash to desktop, some have a button to send information to the developers... but they never want to take the time and help you out... and other games just crash to desktop without saying anything! i hope i can find out what is going on soon, and hope it doesnt mess with DBP!

==Main Computer==
Athlon XP 3000+, 1024mb, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb 8xAGP, XP Pro
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 10:37
List the games your currently haveing a problem with, I have a feeling I know what the pattern will be ... but just want to see for myself.

DirectX9 generally works fine for me, except within DirectX 8.0 games, then its a hit'n'miss. But as most either use 7.0 or 8.1 usually isn't a problem.

Also should I assume your using Catalyst 3.8 and DirectX 9.02/b?

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
Genesis Rage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 11:21 Edited at: 1st Nov 2003 13:38
games w/problems: Unreal 2, Americas Army, and Halo (all require DX9, all older games, work fine)

good games: Dungeon Siege, Quake 2, Half-Life (all expansions), Unreal (original), EverQuest (all expansions), Oni, Wing Commander Prophecy, StarCraft, Riven, and Red Faction

direct x: 9.0b (from dxdiag, latest on microsoft)
Catalyst: 3.8 (have also tested other versions)

-edit-
Unreal 2 is DX 8.1, but with 8.1 it still has the same problems

==Main Computer==
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 17:19
I've got an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, DirectX 9.0b and Catalyst 3.8. The Halo trial and AA work alright for me. Try updaing your motherboard drivers...? Those can cause incompatibilities in rare cases.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 21:03
Unreal 2, Americas Army ... these only require Dx8.1
i'm not sure why you'd have a problem with Halo as alot of people have good results with it on a Radeon.

America's Army is a really touchy game, sometimes it only likes a specific driver set. An Unreal2 is another oddity ...
at a glance I'd say there is something other than your card causing the problem with Dx9, and are you using the Retail or SDK version?
because Debug causes ALOT of problems.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 21:54
Come to think of it, it was Catalyst 3.8 that fixed a load of video problems for me, some of them in Halo. Are you sure you installed it correctly, removing the old ones and rebooting first? If you didn't some major problems can occur.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Genesis Rage
Years of Service
User Offline
contacted Microsoft about Halo, seems that something was messed up with the installation, it would end up corrupting the saved game everytime it was saved... but they helped me edit a file in a HEX editor and got the games working

as for AA and U2... i have gone over everything... and they still dont know what to do... or even what is wrong... and ive formated and rebuilt my computer 5 times... and that still dont help... guess i cant play those games

i have retail of DX9... it might be that my computer is having problems with just 8.1... this all makes my head hurt

==Main Computer==
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 12:09
No, i'd say there is a bit more to it than a simple case of incompatiblity here ...
check your HDD for virus and make sure you've fully upgraded with XP, atleast SP1 if not SP2 ... there really shouldn't be a reason these games aren't working without a reason, unless your 9800pro is at fault.

Check to see if the manufacturer actually has thier own update drivers, as sometimes they make tweaks that make thier cards incompatible to save them a few bob. Creative did it with the Savage4/Pro line to actually add one hell of alot of speed, but it makes it deadly incompatible with Sonic Blue's own drivers.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 12:10
Well are you overclocking your video card?

You seem to have a nice system. Pentium 4 would have been a better choice though, but otherwise I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and have had no problems running those games or DBPro at all.

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The only game that doesn't work for me is GTA3..Which I miss!

Pincho.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 16:57
Ive had a LOT of games just drop to desktop recently, with no explanation whatsoever. The games are Max Payne and Messiah. Im running DX 9.0 with an ATi Radeon 7000 series.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 19:55
when i tried Messiah it refused to work with all of my cards at the time... so i thought bugger it i won't bother.
not tried my 9800XT yet, i'm still wondering if i should take it out of the box.

another ATI own brand card so it should work better than most, right?
just don't like the way that gargoyles eyes follow me around the room

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 23:11
the only card i ever saw that game running on flawlessly were nvidia's TNT cards, same goes for Ultima IX

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 10:56
The game ran fine graphically, it crashed:

o When loading a saved game

o When loading a new part of a level (which was fixed in the latest patch, by adding a 'loading of pre cached files' option to the options screen)

Funny thing is, the first night I ran it it worked fine...the next day it started crashing.....

Also, if you notice, Messiah used a special rendering technique which i think was called 'curve rendering', whereby all the character's outlines were drawn, then filled in with polygons. If you watch often there are glitches where the meshes deform themselves for no reason, dents in characters etc. Weird.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:52:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:52:45