Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / how to make a emitter or particle?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 15:59
Hello all,

how can I create a emitter or particle? so I can have fire and water effects?
and also other effects such as smoke and such.

can I do this using photoshop CS5 and 3D modeling or is there another way around?
to be clearly, I don't want to use code for something simple like this ..
cheers

Current project: Banned
see it at: http://banned.tbhproductions.com
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 01:04
You gotta code it. The particle systems are incompatible between your modeling software and whatever game engine you may be using. Could you please specify the software you use?

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 07:46
I don't know the technique behind it, even how to do this... I can use nearly any peace of software for it. if you have a guess for me?

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 10:11
particle-systems are used by blender, 3dsmax, maya, AFTER-EFFECTS,...

but i think not for export with a model, just in there own video-renderers.

and NO: particles are not the easiest thing, especially when it comes to dynamic physics like pearling water a.s.o.

you dont need this for fpsc, bio, dont you? because fpsc has its own particle system for statics, but i think you know that

gz

biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 10:37
Quote: "you dont need this for fpsc, bio, dont you? because fpsc has its own particle system for statics, but i think you know that "

I indeed not use FPSC for this I bought a very high detailed engine for this, with advanced physics. very high detailed and way more expensive than FPSC.

anyway, I analyzed the Benge's sprite pack... and he used a .x file for it. but still don't know how he did it.

cheers

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 15:42 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 16:34
That .x file your referring to is simply a marker for the sprite and its just what it says it is, its a sprite, or more accurately a decal not an emitter.
Its simply a plane, only the texture used is editable. The texture is an 8x8 sprite animation which works in the same way as an atlas walk shader. If you look at bond1's Metro theatre pack which has running water you will see that he has created models in the specific shape he wants the water to run, for example, drips from ceilings and running down stairs etc, he used normal maps in addition to the diffuse textures to get the effects he wanted.
If your going to create running water, as in say a river or waterfall, its best to create a model to the shape you want and use a seamless texture which you can animate with a simple scroll shader rather than use particles.
For ripple effects or whatever you can use a sprite sheet and animate using an Atlas walk shader. You can find an Atlas shader released by bond around the forums which can use a 16x16 image.
Your real problem using this is to get a seamless loop in your animation, I have no dea what your using to create the particles your using now (it wouldnt be feasible to expect a particle system to work in any other engine, but if it can output alpha image maps then you can use these for your sprites.
Particle systems created in Max can be converted to geometry but its an insane idea for use in games, although it could be a way to create a single model for applying the animated texture to.
If your using FPSC it has its own particle emitter, I suppose any engine your using should have one, if your using Particle illusion or After Effects its very simple to create looped renders for output to use in the way mentioned above.

With a basic understanding of how to use photoshop grid,actions and batch functions these can be a breeze to create, if you dont your going to take forever and have a tough time.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 00:10
naah, the problem is: I got a emitter editor (in my engine) I can load a material file for it (which has texture information and such...

but I just want a model, which have a looping .png, .gif animation. which faces the player. like fire.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 01:04
Since you "bought a very high detailed engine for this, with advanced physics. very high detailed and way more expensive than FPSC", why not ask on their forum? You are more likely to get a viable response from people that are using the engine you use or you could at least give a little more info on what you are using and the tools at your disposal.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 12:22
Quote: "naah, the problem is: I got a emitter editor (in my engine) I can load a material file for it (which has texture information and such...

but I just want a model, which have a looping .png, .gif animation. which faces the player. like fire."

Vague responses like this only make people turn away from helping you. You've yet to give any actual details for your problem like the exact engine you are using and what your trying to create with particles.

There are many ways to doing particles, from sprite sheets, to emitters too animated shaders. If we don't have details then no one can help you.

biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 13:26
the reason I ask here is because 1) I like this community!
2) I use Leadwerks for making indoor maps export them then reedit to use in my game, and yeah this community is so freaking friendly that I have to like it.

Quote: "Vague responses like this only make people turn away from helping you. You've yet to give any actual details for your problem like the exact engine you are using and what your trying to create with particles. "

sorry mister, but I just had a little bit time, as I almost was done typing and then I had to heading for my work. anyhow. it's not a reason I may use. my excuse for it!

I want to make a simple particle to make fire, I'm using Leadwerks engine with combination using FPSC (for it's awesomeness) and
I like to have it as in animated sprites if this is possible off-course, but the problem is I don't know where to start, I think I have full capacity for achieving this. but the problem is where to start and what is the beast yet easiest way.

Thanks @rolfy, this helped me, but I don't have bond1's theater pack, I have many model packs but not that one *sigh* (I know it's bad from me )
from my English, sorry just had less sleep, work sports game development, software and websites are just draining energy.

I hope I have given enough information, to you guys. If you need my PC specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.10ghz
4GB ram
Win7 ultimate
ati readon HD 5670X2 (crossfire) 2Gddr5 2ghz

Cheers

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 19:58
Take a look at this:

http://www.leadwerks.com/files/Tutorials/CPP/Introduction_To_Particles.pdf

Just from skimming the article, chances are, you are gonna need to do some programming. Looks like the above tutorial covers the code just fine, though. You should be able to get something nice from it.

If I were to code this, I would:
1. Create the Graphics, probably as rolfy said, in an 8x8 or 4x4 Texture Atlas. Such as http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_M2ko9xYUEXE/S9WHfiDvQ3I/AAAAAAAAABU/8RB3qbubYtc/s1600/fire+atlas.jpg

2. Create a new class called "FireParticleType" (or whatever) with X, Y, Z, Angle, and Phase/Time/Texture variables.

3. Create a method that creates a new particle at a desired location with a desired emit angle. Possibly a plain with the first image from the texture Atlas.

4. And a method that runs each update that updates each particle's positions and image based on the amount of time that has passed.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 03:07
woow that is amazing!
already found about that leadwerks article, it's great though.
anyway, it's for C++ I will find a way for it, as I always do
but how does the particle system recognizes it as a "atlas" ? is it automatic or do I need to assign it?

Cheers!

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 05:34 Edited at: 12th Feb 2012 05:35
Well, you would need to assign the parts of the image.
ImgFire1 = 0, 0
ImgFire2 = 32, 0
ImgFire3 = 64, 0
ImgFire4 = 96, 0
ImgFire5 = 0, 32
ImgFire6 = 32, 32
... etc

I don't really mess with C++, but I've dabbled in Java:

Something like that. You would already need the TextureRegion and Texture classes. Once that's done, you can simply apply the texture to the 3d plane with fireGFX[0], fireGFX[1], fireGFX[2], or etc.

biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 12:10 Edited at: 12th Feb 2012 12:10
aaaah thanks you are my hero! really you are awesome
thanks all, I would say, Solved!

really thanks I got it now
another reason why I woul ask you guys instead of LE community,

cheers!

Login to post a reply