Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / (WIP)Hralstead sci-fi adventure.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 16:20
Well I figured it was about time for a WIP as I have already made significant progress and it is time to start getting some feedback and maybe hearing what you guys want to see in a sci-fi adventure game.

The basic premise is that you are *Name* Hralstead, you are a hardworking citizen of the Galactic Confederation in the year 12453 AC (After the birth of the Confederation.)
Once a year you get 4 weeks of vacation and this year you are going to enjoy your vacation in your new vehicle, the Boulder Mk. 4 that you got at a used time-ship auction.
17 years ago, new intergalactic laws were passed that allowed anyone with the means, to purchase and operate a time-ship, but the use of time-ships is very strictly regulated, as there are dangers to time travel.
Ofcourse something goes wrong along the way and the hero has all kinds of trials before work starts up again.

The main menu is done but I still need to finish up the options menu and statistics menu. (Which will keep track of all kinds of statistics, just for fun)
I have sections set up in the main game screen but currently nothing is displayed, but you can bring up your player stats at any time.
The ship is a loaner, a placeholder that I will be making new graphics for soon.
It is late now but tomorrow I will start working on the character creation, which will be rather extensive.
Think adventure game coupled with rogue-like is my current aim.

Anyway, he are some screens I took.
Comments and constructive critisism is very welcome!

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
User interface is very well designed I'm very impressed. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 23:38
This is looking good DarkByNight, and as Ashingda says, the interfaces is well designed. The graphics are looking great, keep up the good work!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 01:39
Wow I think that is the first time that has been said about my graphics.
Thank you so much guys, actually interfaces has turned out to be surprisingly easy to make look good, the hard part will be the additional graphics I will need, like ships and all that.
Anyway, I'll be sure to keep this updated as I progress!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 11:34
Looks great DarkByNight! Looking forward to seeing this progress

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 20:36
keen to see more... umm yeah nice gfx but some slight allignment issues... [sorry I know I am a bit .... but partially sighted helps me pick out small details... its what makes me a good designer I believe]

can you share your interface techniques with us or at least pointers?

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 02:38 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 03:53
Yeah the alignment of the elements of the in game gui has been bugging me for days but had somehow been too lazy to fix it.
Anyway I finally buckled down, and while I was at it I changed the poison green to a more blue color. (You might have noticed I like blue. )

EDIT: I don't know if I have any discernable tecniques, I just sort of... mess around with it until I like it, it's kind of like a baby who smash those little squares and triangles into the box at random until they fit
Naturally I research what all the effects do, like the cloud effect, I figured it was some fancy term for something, but it turns out it made clouds appear, which was exactly what I needed for the main menu.
I kind of just move things around and try different colors and textures until I am happy with the results.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 03:52
Weeeeeee I feel better looking at that picture

Yeah colour is important

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 06:32 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 06:33
So, I have started work on the character creation, I had some done yesterday but my computer decided to crash and as I had forgotten to save for about 20 minutes, I lost everything I'd done in that department, and of course, waking up with fresh eyes, I forgot how I made it work yesterday so now I have to do the whole process again.
Anyway, I decided the character creation screen I created rather sucked, so I redid it and added some hoopla, and this is where I'm at right now!
I rather like it, I was going for kind of a handheld touch device look.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 13:51
nice!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 05:20
So I have decided to pretty much start over, not with the graphics because I am quite satisfied with those, but the few hundred lines of code I had written, the reason for this being that I want to make the entire game modular and highly mod able.
I also have some pretty good ideas for the level design.
Basically you will have pre designed set pieces, like a table or a right wall, then in the room script you will define that you want to place the right wall to the right and the table in the center and you will attach the behaviors you want to the set pieces, for example you would attach a readable attribute to a book but you could do the same on an apple and get some strange effects, basically the whole game will be mod able.
I think this will be relatively easy for me to do because I realized I wanted to do this so early in development, and already I am taking steps to implement it.

Anyway, let us have another little teaser, eh?
As you can see from this picture, I wrote my name as Mike and chose to be male, but then I changed my mind and started to change my name to Dave.
I am rather liking this feature.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 06:25
Best to do it now rather than thousands of lines in. Liking the graphics as well, keep up the good work

The fastfood zombie killer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:44:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:44:23