Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Unnamed RPG Project - Engine's Video

Author
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 14:34
i already think about these different ways .. but as you said, it would be a lot of work.

Sprites are using almost all the memory (8 directions * 10 images per animation * 5 different actions (idle/run/death/attack1/attack2 = 400 images at retina resolution for one character ...lol). I also mirror all images i can ... (so my 8 directions only need 5 direction's images).

And the 32 bit RGBA doesn't help .. i only need to use RGBA4444 sometimes instead of RGBA8888 ... and sometimes no alpha at all and only a transparent color mask (which doesn't work on iOS) .. or RGBA5551 (1 bit alpha =>full transparent or full opaque)...
Zdaxxy
Years of Service
User Offline
MikeMax, I have seen the isometric code but not implemented. I have the code posted from the tile engine but I am not getting how they go together. So anything you have close to what you posted in your video would be great. Anything even smaller then your demo? or let me know how much you want for you demo code I am trying to wrap my head around the iso depth, stackable tiles on the same plot or optical illusion? Which is why I want to see it all working together, maybe it will click.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 19:43 Edited at: 16th May 2012 19:46
Oh I'm sure you do, but it popped into my head as I typed the start bit, so I thought I'd share. It was just a thought, and a lot of work to do before finding if it works or not. Probably the closest to a spriter type effect you will get with iso 3D. I'm not sure how you do your graphics thought. They look hand drawn, but may be rendered. If you are using a 3D object to grab from, you could hide all but the limbs you want to see when grabbing from within DB and auto gen them.
I did a little util like this, just minus the limb feature, but it would have been easy to do. I lost it in a HDD crash and have been meaning to re-make a better one. I just haven't got round to installing DB yet ( about 4 months now at a guess, since the crash, maybe more) and have been too busy with other projects using AGK. Plus I haven't needed 3D grabbing since I lost my iso engine. Something like that would certainly help you out time wise. I'm not sure if sprite me, et al do something like this already. I would imagine so.
I used the mirror technique in my old demo also. It saves a fair bit. I remember talking to you about it before. I'm unsure what you mean by retina resolution (960x640, 1024x1024 or 2048x2048?). How big is each sprite frame? I really think you will have to reduce it down as far as you can get away with if you are as low on memory as you say. I have no idea how much my apps use, but Obliterator is the biggest image wise so far and apart from when things get busy, I'm keeping speed up at the moment.
best of luck with this anyway, it looks really impressive!

@ Zdaxxy, what are you stuggling with? I have made a simple picture to demonstrate the grid process I used. The green blobs denote the pivot point of the sprites. There are probably various methods, but I used a 2-1 x/y ratio on my grid, so for example 64x32. That way you can tile the segments together nice and easily in a loop. I had never read up about iso in any way, I just worked out that this looked an easy way to do it (by messin in a paint package), and then went to work in AGK. I dealt with z depth by using the y height of the sprites feet compared to the exact center of the scenery sprites. It worked better than I hoped at the time, pretty much perfectly. Hopefully you have a few ideas there to help you along a little.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 23:29
Bad thing is that hosting such server costs much money. About 50$ is the minimum.

Follow me on twitter! @kamac496

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:07:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:07:18