Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A chat application - possibly for users of these forums...

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 23:57
People,

I wrote a chat application in VB.NET that we may possible use to chat about dbp (or anything else-not moderated) but I have some issues/questions for those of you that are TCP Sockest savvy.

My app consists of 2 parts, a Server and a Client (wow real original -LOL) I would want to run the server here on my machine, obviously, and email anyone who wants the client portion for themselves. The question is

If I am behind a firewall and a NAT router, how would I instruct people to connect to my server from the client app. My client portion requires a DNS name or an IP to properly connect - during building and testing I was using "localhost" so it wasn't a problem but for remote users I don't have any experience with this. My router is handling NAT and DHCP so any machine on my network could connect because they are all on the same network but the IP's are internet-unroutable like 192.168.x.x. I know my Router is assigned an IP from my ISP (via DHCP) but how would the data get in and out to remote users?

If anyone has some info, whether or not you're interested in the program I would be very appreciative.

The Client is pretty much ready to go
The Server still needs some work but can maintain a chat no problem - I just need to modify some stuff to as far as authentication and disallowing multiple screen names that are the same - etc

Just for the record, i know no one would need this app since we all use msn or aim or irc, this is more of a personal project just to learn how to get this remote user stuff working - but like I said I would leave it running if a bunch of people would use it.

I will need a small group of people to help me test the Client-Server functionality once I get this remote stuff answered/working.

Those of you who are interested in running the client can be proactive and download and install the microsoft redist for .NET applications - search for the file dotnetfx.exe. This installs the .NET Framework dll's on your system, allowing you to run applications written in .NET

Thanks and I hope we can get this going
CattleRustler

-RUST-
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 00:14
You'd probably just need to set your router to redirect whatever port it uses to the server machine on your network.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 00:18
Wait, so lets say the Server app is using port 1000 (it's not, but let's just say) So I would need to do what with the router? I am not clear on what you meant.

Also, form what I have read in other posts, you speaking to me is a rarity?

Thanks, please explain further - I want to get this working. I have a nice zipped up client executable ready to get emailed to a willing tester.

-RUST-
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 00:26
ok, I see something about Port-Forwarding for my router - does anyone have more info, or can explain the deal to me. I am using a linksys router, and running a sw firewall.

-RUST-
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 00:28
Read the instructions that came with your router. You should be able to get it to redirect incomming traffic on a specific port to the ip of server computer on your lan.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 00:43
ok I just read up on this port forwarding business, seems pretty straight forward.

Anyone wanting the client please post here requesting it.
Please provide an email address I can send it to (for now-eventually I will put it up on my site for download, when it's a final release)

please remember the client needs the .net framework in order to run.
dotnetfx.exe must be installed on your machine (read up on it before installing, for specific OS version information - I am not responsible if you hose your OS!)

I'll check back in a couple hours and see if anyone wants to try a test - if not I'll be around tomr (EST)

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 02:01
I might I don't have .net framework (I am not sure what you meant) I have vb 6.0 enterprise. what is this dotnetfx.exe? Can't you just include it in your .zip you send the file in (I assume you send in a .zip file)

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing---A new brand of Racing---Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" - Hamish
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 02:05
the dotnetfx.exe is the installer for the .NET framework and is like 26 megs so I won't include it. That file is downloadable from MS site. If you guys are on broadband - piece of cake

Thanks Mattman, let me know if/when you're up to the task

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 02:08
er, umm, ok. I don't thnk I wanna do that now, sry

(The only pc to which that I can acsess and has internet is my dad's, he would rather I don't do this)

gl with this though,
Mattman

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing---A new brand of Racing---Only from Nightwatch Studios
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 02:30 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2003 02:30
n/p matty-o-man! Thanks anyhoots.

I will keep working and refining the Server portion. I put in an email to Rich to obtain the Apollo API, which I will incorporate (at some point) into the client to make a cool kick-arse little app for our community to use (if they so desire)

I'll keep this forum posted on the progress...or better yet the work in progress board...

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 02:33
matty-o-man? anyhoots? you ok there rusty?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 02:54 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2003 02:58
lol yeah! Here are some screenies!

chatting away...

peeps leaving...

-RUST-
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 04:19 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2003 04:20
Hey,

You stole my idea.

I was actually thinking about ways to make a chat client that doesn't rely on servers. If you sort of seed out UDPs across the net (they don't need an adress) anyone listening to a certain port for these packets could presumably talk to each other.

It would probably be a quite easy to then establish TCP connections with selected users, or create "channels" like in IRC -- but without the need for IRC servers. Or you could connect to like a billion users, if you have the computing power.

I was thinking of including such a thing in my packet of programming tools but decided against it. I've got enough on my plate to consider that idea for quite a while (like forty years or so).

Cheers,
MicroMan

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 04:43
cool. I am still considering a non-timer-driven Push-Server in ASP.NET but for now I thought I'd hone my sockets skills with a standard client-server. Now I want to include the Apollo API in the app so maybe it could become a sick "must have" tool for the dbp-ers on this board - waiting to hear from Rich D about the API. Either way the chat thing is gonna happen so whomever is interested should speak up

-RUST-
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 04:53
that looks like it can be easily hacked

like sending messages as someone else.

add a bit of security like only allow xx ip to speak from xx user.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! [url]www.dbforums.co.uk/[/url] - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 05:09
Well, I did look at a p2p program that did what I outlined above. Except they share files while my program would just chat. I have no interest in getting the RIAA or the software equivalent on my case.

If I could just afford to buy .Net of either Delphi or VB... It's expensive to make apps, if you want the latest thing.

Oh well.

cheers,
Microman

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 06:38
Lagmaster - thanks, yes, the server is nowhere near done. It just handles chats, but if you read my earlier posts I mentioned the fact that I have to still encorporate Authentication (as well as a slew of other things not posted)

This whole thing is still alpha! I only posted the screenies to show I wasn't talking trash.

I am looking forward to getting the Apollo API, then I will know what sickness regarding these boards is possible, and if this app is worth offering out as a coolness.

Keep you all posted

-RUST-
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 02:23
<bump>

sorry

-RUST-
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 02:59
if you want me to find flaws in the chat system let me know

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! [url]www.dbforums.co.uk/[/url] - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 03:08 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2003 03:08
ok lagmaster, I will make a note of that. Thanks. I am trying to get the first issue hammered out tonight when my buddy gets home, once we can remote connect and all is well I will put the Client App up on my site (Web button below - go to VB link)(nothing there yet)

-RUST-
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 06:44
Ok, first step is done, my buddy in New Jersey was able to connect to my server app here in NY, and we chatted for a bit no problem. I had to set up my router to use port-fowarding of the tcp packets on a specific port, and had to open that port on the firewall as well.

I am not sure I will be able to leave the server up as It is not on a seperate machine or network and I really don't want to leave my main machine wide open.

Development continues but deploying this may need some thinking - maybe I can find someone to host the server. Hopefully I will get the Apollo API from Rich tomorrow.

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:46:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:46:09