Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / svchost virus?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 10:50
we got a virus the other day, and my brother thinks that the file, svchost.exe, is it....whenever i try to delete it, it is write protected, and when i try to quarentine it, it won't let....it copies itself when i try to move it....what it does is make the CPU work at 100%....as you can imagine, the comp won't work very fast...anyway, does this file exist on anyone elses computer? here is where it is on mine: "C:\WINDOWS\system32"

thanks
Bishop

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 12:02
svchost.exe (Service Host) is used by many different services on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Its a system file for NT OSes.

It might be virus infected though.

Best deal is to back everything up and format and reinstall the OS then install and update your virus scanner and make sure you have all the patches and upgrades for your OS.

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 12:02
svchost is your local server file, without it you can't network in any fashion ... you require it for your computer to run!

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 12:05
svchost is a system file - your brother needs to go back to school

-RUST-
Joeyjoejoe Shabadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
its the file next to it called:

thisisnotavirus.exe

This sig is poinless. Poin poin poin poin!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 13:16
personally i like the "hellokitty.exe" virus, craped my pants the first time this huge hello kitty appeared on the screen and screamed MEOW! at me.
It's not something you expect in the middle of a jedi powerduel lol

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 15:28
has anyone ever seen the Rei virus? It's based on the evangelion anime, showing a picture of Rei whenever it infects a file. It was an MSDOS virus. Aparently, it hasn't spread much 'cause my scanner doesn't detect it. I got to get rid of it without formating my hard disk, but I kept a copy of it on a floppy

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 22:04
thanks for the responce! yes, now i see it is a system file.....but
for some reason, this program started using 98% of the CPU power so everything was slow....could it be infected with a different virus?

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 22:19
Have you scanned it with updated antivirus software? What OS have you got?

Update your antivirus software and scan your whole system, if it finds files with something called the jeefo virus then goto this link:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.jeefo.html

I had a virus that infected exactly like this on my win98 PC and I had to delete everything cos its incurable .

They say it isnt a serious virus but the b****** thing infected over 1000 .exe files so i think it qualifies as pretty serious .

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 23:24 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2003 23:27
Make sure you are trying to delete the correct file. A fairly common way to make it hard for the user to spot is by changing the name of a system procress by a single letter.

Are you sure your brother isn't getting mixed up,
svchost.exe
scvhost.exe
see,
http://sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32agobotaf.html
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 01:16 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2003 01:20
thanks!

@the_winch: i looked at your virus and it matches perfectly the problems i had.....as a matter of fact i was confusing both of them....see, i had an scvhost.exe and a svchost.exe.....i managed to delete the scvhost.exe and our problem is fixed...thank you so much, it was really annoying....it turned out to be the w32/agobotaf

@inferno: yeah, my aunt is a manager at symantec and she told me the viruses that dlete files and mess them up only usually get a 1 or 2 rating....it is the 3 and 4 that gather information and send it places that are the reallt bad ones...

.....i'm just glad the system wouldn't let me delete svchost.exe .....

thanx alot for the help

bishop

Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 01:18
thanx everybody for the help....turns out the virus, scvhost.exe was the one my brother pointed out and i deleted, but i got confused when the svchost was still there.....i thought it came back from the dead

thanx again to everybody here!

Bishop

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 02:33
glad you got it fixed.
damned viruses!

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:35:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:35:44