Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How long did it take you to be as good as you are?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 17:26
Hello.

I bought DBpro and am trying to learn it however I find it hard sometimes...just when I get my head around a set of commands, I either get bombarded with new commands and forget everything, or disheartened and lay off for a few days. My question is, how long did it take you to get to where you are in terms of skill? And can you give any tips...they would be greately received..thanks.

Karribu

I wouldn't be so paranoid if people would just stop looking at me!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 18:37
I am pretty new to this scene of game making myself. I can offer you little advice in way of remembering commands. What you have to do is realise what you want your game/program to achieve and figure out each individual task the program must do. Certain commands in the language will be associated with most tasks. i.e. loops. Other commands will be task specific and they are organised on the menu this way. The best thing to do is always break your program down into smaller fragments that work together. Think of it as cogs in a machine. Take one cog out and it falls apart.

"We are getting aggravated"
"Yes, we are"
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 19:43
We are all still on the learning process. I have been getting better ever since I started DBing a year 1/2 ago

Review the commands, read the tutorials, and do small little programs to learn logic and assembly. Once you are really good at something, move on elsewhere. Its like studying for a quiz in school, just review it over and over again till its imprinted in your brain!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny WEBSITE SOON!
"Thats not a bug! Its a feature!" - _ESC
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 19:52
It took me about 3/4 year to be as good as I am now. I'm working on an fps now and have all the basics in it. I can understand what some people are talking about on these forums and I can help people with basic things and let me tell you something... I'm not that kind of person that learnes fast(I can learn fast but the prob is that I'm doing nothing most of the time ) so if you read a lot you will be able to write some simple games in no time

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 22:52
You mean how long have we been coding in DB

I have been programming in DB since February, this year. I am nearly complete with my commercial RTS game, Firewall. It has been really fun, but I am lucky because I have a special knack for remembering things. However, before DB I programmed in Metal Basic for Mac for about 3 years, but did not experience any 3D stuff until DB.

My tips to your are to make learning fun, so that it does not become a chore, don't learn anything you don't have to, and start out with Pong!

Xander - Bolt Software

Why do the antagonists always have to look so cool?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 23:00
pong!

-RUST-
KARRIBU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 01:00
thanks guys...i'll keep trying!!!

I wouldn't be so paranoid if people would just stop looking at me!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 02:42
I started programming about 8th grade. I'm halfway through college now. I've taken classes in Pascal, C++, and now Java. I've used DB for over 2 years now. I found that the first year learning is tough. Its hard to keep motivated and not quit because you don't know very much to really do anything yet. But stick with it, it can be fun. (also very frustrating at times)
genius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 06:16 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2003 06:19
I started programming in 6th grade. I am in 7th grade now and I know C++, Java, Visual Basic, HTML, DBPro, and the TI language. (I don't mean to brag). I'm still a big beginner on that stuff. The way I learned is tutorials, books, and other people's code.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 06:34
that's quite a resume for a 13yo., now I see why your screen name is genius

-RUST-
genius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 06:42 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2003 06:42
My parents say that I spend too much time on the computor.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 09:44
I used to know HTML. I had to write webpages in notepad for a class, that sucked. But I'm lazy and use editors now, so I pretty much forgot it all.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 10:44
I bought DBC in November 2000, and I didnt reaslly start to get into it until about a year later coz of school getting in the way. Now I can understand most things (even though ive never actually made a game, really) and Ive only wrote a 2d map editor (which through learning I discovered was coded terribly, and could rewrite it fantastically) and a 3d compass function (in the codebase).

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
y!Ck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 15:53
I've started programming when i was 10 y/o in MSX Basic on a very old computer (the MSX) and was fun and all now i am 14 and just started in Darkbasic i've been buzy for 4 1/2 month and almost know all the basics but i already knew an other very relative basic language so i think thats the reason that i learn so quickly

Why live life if you die anyway.
Tariq Hussein
Years of Service
User Offline
lol Genius nice but I beat u by 2 years :p
At 11 I knew C++, VB, Java (well, most of it anyways), Javascript, VBScript, Perl and ... uhh.. :S ... QBasic :p

As for learning, forget it! Just enjoy yourself, get some reference material and just keep looking it up! I've tried several times getting all the directx stuff to be right, but in the end Im not going to remember every single property in the D3DPresentParams along with their D3D constants. In the end, the more you code, the
more it will become second nature.

Good luck.

When I turned 2 I got worried, in 1 year my age doubled!
genius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 00:43
Hey Tariq Hussein, WAY AWESOME! So, how old are you?(don't feel obligated)
Right now I am reading two 1000 pg. books on graphics(directX) in C++, it is hard. I learned TI language when I was 11, VB when I was 11, and then DarkBASIC at 12, C++ at 12, Java at 12, HTML(a few months ago), and I'm actually only 12 right now. So, I've been programming about 1 year. By the way ROCK ON!
Black Hydra
Years of Service
User Offline
Are all the people on this site child prodegies?

Learning is not a start and finish... you became as good as you were today if that makes any sense. Everyone can learn whether they have been coding for weeks or decades.

Patience is the ultimate tool.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2003 06:23
I guess you could say I am, even though I am not a child anymore. It seems like it though. If you looked at me, you would probably think I am about 14. I am 17 years old, and a senior in high school. I am taking Physics, Calculus, and Chemistry II. I have a 3.97 GPA through high school. Only one B! That was in Freshman History, when I didn't feel like doing a speech, so I went for the B grade, and got a B+. I kind of regret it... I also got a 30 for my ACT score. Can't wait for college! I can program all night, not to mention play computer games with everyone else on the network...

Xander - Bolt Software

Why do the antagonists always have to look so cool?
DeveloperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2003 08:40
Started programming at age 4 on the commodore 64.
Made first game at age 10.
Know BASIC, QB, VB, C, C++, Java, HTML, PHP, ASM, Python, DarkBASIC.
19 yrs old now.
CEO of Software Development Company.

maybe we are all child prodigies....

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis. - Speech is given to many; intelligence to few.
-DeveloperX - CEO : CCPS Solutions - http://ccps.rpgdx.net
BB9 Brad
Years of Service
User Offline
ooooo im glad to see qb mentioned that was my first language! fun

DB RULES!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:39:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:39:31