Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sites with Scripts what is your opinion?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 20:02
I must ask you guys two questions regarding sites and scripts.
1. If you get to a website and in the bottom you see 'Powered by ----' which mean that they use some scripts from HotScript.com (for example) what is you first impression?
2. Do you oppose to this sites or the only thing that you care about is the content?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 20:07
as long as those scripts are being used for the site and NOT to do things on my computer or flood me with popups to the point where my browser or worse windows crashes ... then honestly don't give a damn.

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 20:46
Scripts are ok except, like Raven says, they do something to annoy me like open popup windows or try and install stuff on my pc (things like Gator and the like). Unfortunately most people here host their sites on geocities or other free site that have to have popups to show ads to pay for the hosting.

Sites that have script errors also annoy me as I get numerous popup error messages (I need error notification turned on as I develop websites myself). Also get lots of 'permission denied' popup errors that annoy me.

Most scripts, like rollover menus and popup menus are ok and the odd site that like to have text or graphics following your mouse cursor are just about acceptable.

Even this forum site has LOADS of scripts on it but they all work properly, don't produce errors and are mostly invisible to the user.

Boo!
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 21:16
Im not talking about annoy scripts that give you popups and stuff like that.
Im talking about scripts like news system, poll system etc.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 21:37
well, when those scripts are present, it's actually a good thing. If a script is worth distributing, it probably means its not going to mess anything up. I like seeing "Powered by ____" because I imagine one day my name is gonna be there

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
Renegade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 00:08
Thank you all very much

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:36:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:36:48